Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 03:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As I mentioned, the unstable one has already been incited.

Let's recap:

The OP built a fence several years ago.
Said fence was built without a survey, or presumably finding marker pins, and the fence guy laid out the line for construction. There is also no paperwork or permits to be found for the fence.
The neighbor has a plat, which are done using a survey, showing the fence is on his property and informed the OP..
The OP, who has already had firearms confiscated from him in the past (which is only done for extreme reasons) wants to "get even" by harassing the neighbor.

So, who, exactly, is the unstable one?
The problem is unstable people act irrationally.

There was a big story over two home owners in a boundary dispute and parking...

The home owner in the right had a large boulder delivered and placed fully within his property and had recent survey and pins set in concrete.

The other neighbor came home incensed at what he saw... told his wife this ends now went in the house and shot his neighbor dead... then called 911 and admitted he put a stop to his neighbor's irritating behavior permanently...

On a separate note... I live in Oakland CA and know people that have been injured and even shot in road rage...

Just saying proceed with caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 05:12 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I would love to be able to have a proper survey done for $500

It is at least $2,000 for a residential city lot here in the Bay Area.
The $500 I referred to would be $275 for the surveyor to look at an existing recorded survey then mark the line that was the boundary between the two neighbors. Or find the corner pipes and do the same. Then pay the attorney one hour of work to write the letter.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:18 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:

Let's recap:

Said fence was built without a survey, or presumably finding marker pins, and the fence guy laid out the line for construction. There is also no paperwork or permits to be found for the fence.
The neighbor has a plat, which are done using a survey, showing the fence is on his property and informed the OP..
The OP, who has already had firearms confiscated from him in the past (which is only done for extreme reasons) wants to "get even" by harassing the neighbor.

My understanding was that the OP DID have a survey done, for the fence. He just didn't get a copy of it.

Is that not the case? If a professional survey by a licensed surveyor wasn't done, then that needs to be done, since someone is claiming his fence is on their property.

There's probably a plat in the county deed records that can be obtained, if the OP doesn't have the money to get a professional survey done. But there's a chance an OLD plat is wrong, now, if something changed with the property. But it's a start.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:43 AM

323 posts, read 377,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The $500 I referred to would be $275 for the surveyor to look at an existing recorded survey then mark the line that was the boundary between the two neighbors. Or find the corner pipes and do the same. Then pay the attorney one hour of work to write the letter.
Depends on where he lives of course, but it's pretty unlikely you'll get a surveyor to show up for $275. That covers about an hour of work, with no research required. That's about what it would cost to reset some stakes that were put in very recently by the same surveyor.

Like Ultrarunner said, it can be significantly more for an actual survey. Around here, you're looking at $1500 at a minimum for a recorded map, and most contracts will be written in such a way that if they run into additional problems they're authorized to charge you up to several thousand to cover these issues, with an "out" so they can walk away if you don't want to complete the survey and send you a bill for the work they've done (say, $2500-$3000 worth). The problem is that a lot of people get someone from the fence company or somebody with a 100' tape to come out, say they're doing a survey, and charge $200 for something that's mostly worthless.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:55 AM

167 posts, read 168,002 times
Quote:

Let's recap:

1) fence was NOT built without survey---wth are you talking about? I HAD A SURVEY DONE

2)the neighbors plat doesn't show ANYTHING but lines and numbers. He's looking at a website that CLEARLY states REFERENCE ONLY - NOT LEGALLY BINDING.

3)And seriously wtf are you talking about me having guns confiscated in the past???????

How did you get sooooo much misinformation in just one paragraph??

You must be voting for Hillary

Old 11-02-2016, 09:57 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
In SOME areas, professional surveyors mark the boundaries with a metal rod they hammer down into the ground. You can't see them, but they're there.

Others just use the stakes. But don't think the use of stakes means there aren't metal rods there, too.

You need to dig in the area where you think the boundary is, or get a metal detector I guess. If you can't afford a professional survey.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
It's called sarcasm. I think he's an idiot for blasting his own house.
god, some of you posters don't read very well....i wouldn't be blasting my own house...that's stupid. I said "on my property" pointed at HIS front door.....jeebus

Old 11-02-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
In SOME areas, professional surveyors mark the boundaries with a metal rod they hammer down into the ground. You can't see them, but they're there.

Others just use the stakes. But don't think the use of stakes means there aren't metal rods there, too.

You need to dig in the area where you think the boundary is, or get a metal detector I guess. If you can't afford a professional survey.
most sensible thing anyone has posted yet,,,,thanks

Old 11-02-2016, 06:04 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
I found some county ordinances but none pertain to my situation. I am wanting to install a motion detected alarm on my property that goes off at 120 decibels every time they open their front door (they sit on front porch to smoke). I imagine this would get very old, very quick.
He's been there for 2 years and we have been friendly the whole time. He found a plat drawing online and got it in his head that the fence I had professionally installed AFTER a professional survey 6 YEARS before he moved in its on his property. He verbally assaulted and threatened me with bodily harm then told me he is going to make me move my chain link fence (150 foot), 12 X 36 (yeah, it's big) outbuilding and dig up ten 30 foot tall trees. So, please don't tell me he doesn't deserve anything I can dish out...he's an ASS.
Quote:
I got my gun back and id love to tell the story but mods keep deleting my posts.
Your gun.

Quote:
1) fence was NOT built without survey---wth are you talking about? I HAD A SURVEY DONE

2)the neighbors plat doesn't show ANYTHING but lines and numbers. He's looking at a website that CLEARLY states REFERENCE ONLY - NOT LEGALLY BINDING.

3)And seriously wtf are you talking about me having guns confiscated in the past???????

How did you get sooooo much misinformation in just one paragraph??

You must be voting for Hillary
If you had a "professional survey" where's the paperwork? You don't have it, can't remember who did it or prove it was done with a receipt.

If the plat is from a filed site plan from your local Planning and Zoning department it certainly is legally binding. Those "reference numbers and lines" are the metes and bounds of the property. You know, a survey.

Actually I'm leaving that office blank.

And while I'm considered by many to be a dick I'm not a big enough one that I'd set myself up for harassment and disturbing the peace charges.

If you can't find the corner pins (which should have been put in if you had a survey) you may very well have to get another one done.

My neighbor here kept complaining about my fence. She doesn't like chain link. So I had a survey done. I now get to compliment her on the fence that is actually hers. I always ask her when she's going to replace it with the vinyl she favors.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:47 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
OP......

The most important thing you need to realize is that by retaliating against an unstable neighbor only serves to make them more unstable. It also serves to show that you might have the same issues that your neighbor does. Someone really does have to be the bigger person. You're literally playing with fire.

The best thing to do in this situation is NOT to try to walk the line on property law, but instead to make an effort to rationalize with the neighbor and put out the fire. If you can't do that, completely ignore them and leave them alone. If they won't allow you to ignore them, get law enforcement involved and document everything until such time as you can move. Eventually your efforts to harass the neighbor "within the law" will fail. You'll slip up and cross that line and they'll be ready to pounce when you do. My ex step-mother harassed my father for over a year daily and walked that fine line until just once she slipped up. When she did, he had her arrested on the spot and throw in jail. Once she realized how serious it was, she stopped. But only after she lost her nursing license and her job because of the arrest.

One of my co-workers has had a long standing dispute with their neighbor. They live in a culdesac but own the property behind their neighbors. There is a pond on the property that butts up to a drain that crosses the neighbors property. This neighbor blocked off the drain and flooded the co-workers property. They involved the law, but nothing happened other than a lawsuit which only escalated the situation. The neighbor ran them off the road one morning and they had him arrested. He got out and immediately installed security cameras in their second story windows which "just so happened" to catch the co-workers back yard.

The co-workers husband was in the backyard (8ft privacy fence) working in the garden and stopped to urinate beside the corner of the house (behind their fence in privacy) so as not to go inside dirty. The neighbor caught it on film, and even though it was private property reported it to the police and he was locked up for public exposure.

These types of things went on for two or three years until they finally had to move. Each time the back and forth escalated to the point that the police were concerned one of them would shoot the other.

You're not doing anything other than making the situation much worse by retaliating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate