U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 07:16 AM

10,500 posts, read 6,809,010 times

Advertisements

It can't hurt to try the statue.

More likely the buyer really wanted the house and realized their lowball offer was not going to be accepted, when they realized you were not desperate to sell they called their own bluff and made a fair offer.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 11-02-2016 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 07:47 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,220,745 times
If something gives YOU hope, that is all that is needed to justify the few bucks and bit of effort it would take to buy and bury a small statue - no matter what anyone else believes will work. If it doesn't seem to accomplish miracles however, I hope you won't be too disappointed. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:17 AM

785 posts, read 1,069,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Irish superstition! Love that. Yes that is what I will call it. I was willing to give anything a try.
Hmmn...wonder if St. Joe is a non-denominational kind of guy. My (Jewish) next door neighbor has been trying to sell his (overpriced) house for six months now. He's already moved out, and my wife and I have been keeping an eye on the house for him. Maybe in the middle of the night at Zero Dark 30 I should sneak over for a covert op to bury a statue in his yard?

I'm sure St. Joe wouldn't mind. After all, he himself WAS Jewish!

Old 11-02-2016, 08:18 AM

10,127 posts, read 10,779,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
An all powerful being will not intervene to prevent war, cure cancer, or end hunger, but he's good for making someone else give their money to you? Should I buy a statue to avoid being coerced by god into buying somebody's house?
He's only going to help you sell your house if he isn't busy with the football. Don't do it on the weekend--he's awfully busy this time of year with the NCAA and the NFL.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:20 AM

Pure superstition. When the house sells people thank the statue and not the agent who spent hundreds of hours researching the market, cultivating buyers, and advising the client on making the house more saleable.

My question is where do you send his commission?

Old 11-02-2016, 09:03 AM

842 posts, read 511,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Pure superstition. When the house sells people thank the statue and not the agent who spent hundreds of hours researching the market, cultivating buyers, and advising the client on making the house more saleable.

I doubt you know any agent that spent "hundreds of hours" on any single listing, because that agent would go broke. If I were an agent, I would be thanking St. Joseph as I cashed my split...not pouting about clients not thanking me for doing what I was contracted to do for them.

Dismissing the psychological effect of a superstition while bloviating hyperbole....

I sold FSBO with a Saint Joseph planted in the yard. Contract within 5 days. Closed within a week of scheduled closing date. Proceeds from sale were well above our goal. I didn't spend hundreds of hours doing anything to sell the house.

Do I think a small statue buried in my yard sold the house? It was comforting to my wife--which is worth more to me than the answer to the question.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
I doubt you know any agent that spent "hundreds of hours" on any single listing, because that agent would go broke. If I were an agent, I would be thanking St. Joseph as I cashed my split...not pouting about clients not thanking me for doing what I was contracted to do for them.

Dismissing the psychological effect of a superstition while bloviating hyperbole....

I sold FSBO with a Saint Joseph planted in the yard. Contract within 5 days. Closed within a week of scheduled closing date. Proceeds from sale were well above our goal. I didn't spend hundreds of hours doing anything to sell the house.

Do I think a small statue buried in my yard sold the house? It was comforting to my wife--which is worth more to me than the answer to the question.
Before we bought the house I live in now our agent drove my wife all over town for probably ten years, on and off. Was it hundreds of hours? Maybe not, maybe only dozens.

I think reality is worth more than false comfort. I know I seem to be in the minority on that point.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:46 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,868,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Hmmn...wonder if St. Joe is a non-denominational kind of guy. My (Jewish) next door neighbor has been trying to sell his (overpriced) house for six months now. He's already moved out, and my wife and I have been keeping an eye on the house for him. Maybe in the middle of the night at Zero Dark 30 I should sneak over for a covert op to bury a statue in his yard?

I'm sure St. Joe wouldn't mind. After all, he himself WAS Jewish!
I think this is a wonderful idea! Go for it!

Old 11-02-2016, 09:49 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,093,445 times
I'll admit to it. I ordered one last night. We had 4 potential lookers the weekend after listing. Now. Nothing. 16 days on the market, not even a call. So while repainting everything neutral, new hardwoods going in, I figured why not? We made a good faith binder on a house and we love it and don't want to lose it. We have until 11-30.

I am not Catholic, but with my Native American roots, I figured I have enough in me to believe in the unexplained.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:50 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,868,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

My agent did nothing other than list it on MRIS. She copied the information from a previous listing. No fliers were made.

Frankly I think she was a complete waste of money, because the contract she received is only $2k more than the one I got on my own prior to listing it with a professional. She should have been able to do wat better as I just spent $6k to make the house appear brand new. Hindsight, I should have done FSBO, but it's done now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate