Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 02:59 PM

162 posts, read 199,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Why St. Joseph? Was he a listing agent?
History of St Joseph - St Joseph Statue | St Joseph Statue
"Saint Joseph was Jesus earthly father, and raised Gods only son together with his wife, Virgin Mary. St Joseph is known to be the saint of handcraft and home protection. He is also commonly referred to as "The home Selling saint" in folklore. The history of St Joseph, one of the most popular and common saints, is not known to many people. Besides being seen as a Real Estate agent, he is also known for being a good father and the Saint of Workers - St. Joseph The Worker."

And I guess it goes along with Jesus being a carpenter.
These people who leave behind the statues though after they sold the house are doing it wrong, you are supposed to dig it up after closing and then put the statue in your new home. If the statue is left in the ground the house will just continue to sell, with short lived occupancy (or so the legend goes)

Now I too am not especially religious, a bit spiritual I guess, but I will try ANYTHING (legal) to sell my home. We're not selling until spring so I'll be sure to post on here if it works or not. This is a really rural difficult market here, I can use all the help I can get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 03:32 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
I wonder if my small concrete St. Francis statue that has been sitting in my backyard for many many years (I inherited this place from my aunt who lived here 40 years and I can't remember when it was not here) would do as a 'stand in' saint when I go to sell? Or if the 'commercial gods' 'need' me to spend another $6 plus tax and shipping for the proper saint?

Not to mock you ... I have no idea if it works to intern St. Joseph (though I cannot imagine why he wants to be buried, covered in muck and debris) but if one feels better about it ... why not? Never know .. superstition can be a powerful thing sometimes.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:40 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
We did this as a lark on one house (a super-luxury house that had sat on the market for months). We thought it up over a glass (or 2 or 3) of wine one evening while we were trying to think up another marketing angle, and went to our MLS store the next day (where they actually sell them!) and bought one.

We giggled as we buried St. Joe upside down near the "For Sale" sign, as instructed on the box, along with a little silly prayer on the box about finding a full-price buyer who doesn't want an inspection.

The next day, we had a showing (first in weeks). They brought an offer in for 98% of list -- cash.

Go figure. :-)

Old 11-01-2016, 04:05 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Over the weekend I ran into my moms friend at the grocery store. She mentioned getting a St. Joseph statue and burying it in the front yard of the house I am trying to sell.

Well Sunday we got a crappy offer. I countered but the buyer was not jumping up to my asking price, which was close to my rock bottom. The agent did not allow negotiation room when she listed the house, but that is another vent...

So Monday, I jumped on Amazon to order a statue. Within seconds of placing the order, the buyer sent a contract that was only $2k below asking price.

Was it just the mere fact of ordering the statue? Don't know. But if it was, the $6, was money well spent. I will be keeping him to oversell the sale of this house, and for any future selling I might do.

Anyone else heard of this and had success selling fast with St. Joseph buried in the yard?
Actually, yes. It seemed to work for me and for one of my sisters when we were selling our homes.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:19 PM

525 posts, read 660,312 times
We used one for my mother's house. Story is on a previous thread of the same style. We are not religious, but we have enough residual Irish superstition that I didn't feel completely silly performing this weird ritual. It worked for us. Or the house simply sold to the right buyer. Who knows. I'm superstitious, so often correlation = causation IMO.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:54 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
I am not religious at all, but I have to say it worked for me.... after weeks of not having any offers on my house, I buried a St Joseph statue (umop episdn) and suddenly received 5 offers . One was over the asking price .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-01-2016, 08:59 PM

254 posts, read 458,457 times
An all powerful being will not intervene to prevent war, cure cancer, or end hunger, but he's good for making someone else give their money to you? Should I buy a statue to avoid being coerced by god into buying somebody's house?

Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am not religious at all, but I have to say it worked for me.... after weeks of not having any offers on my house, I buried a St Joseph statue (umop episdn) and suddenly received 5 offers . One was over the asking price .
Nice post hoc, ergo propter hoc. (Not picking on you - this could be said of all similar posts)

Old 11-02-2016, 12:39 AM

162 posts, read 199,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
An all powerful being will not intervene to prevent war, cure cancer, or end hunger, but he's good for making someone else give their money to you? Should I buy a statue to avoid being coerced by god into buying somebody's house?
I don't see anyone claiming St. Joseph was a god or all powerful being. He was simply a saint in a religion, and somewhere along the line someone thought "Well why not do something silly, let's bury that carpenter guy...it can't hurt". More likely then not when people bury it they subconsciously make more efforts TO sell, so it becomes self fulfilling...with a bit of work.

Ironically I bet if you tried that and meant it, it would work. The power of suggestion (even on ourselves) is pretty strong. I'm sorry if this offended you. I merely commented on it because we really REALLY want to sell our house soon, and we will work hard on making our home pristine and welcoming, working with our realtor, and yes, burying a statue. I am not hurting anyone, I just need a wheelchair equipped house. So yes, I will be working hard and burying anything I think of that might just make me feel like I have a tiny bit of hope.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:08 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
We used one for my mother's house. Story is on a previous thread of the same style. We are not religious, but we have enough residual Irish superstition that I didn't feel completely silly performing this weird ritual. It worked for us. Or the house simply sold to the right buyer. Who knows. I'm superstitious, so often correlation = causation IMO.
Irish superstition! Love that. Yes that is what I will call it. I was willing to give anything a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate