Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:10 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
You may believe that Obama did a great job, but he did not. Statistics are dirty things...they are manipulated to make the picture look better than it is. Employment is way down under Obama, and so are wages. You may not like that answer, but it is 100% factual TRUE, non-debatable.
Truth! I got laid off in 2009 and it took me 11 months to find a new job because the job market was FLOODED with other folks who also got laid off. When I finally got a job offer, it was for 30% less than I had been earning. I had no choice but to take it because it was the only offer I had received in 11 months of interviewing.

Fortunately, it is a good company and seven years later I'm still here. Just recently I received a promotion and raise - and I'm FINALLY earning what I earned in 1997. I don't think I'll be back up to my 2009 pay level until 2020. At least at that point I'll only be 11 years behind instead of the 19+ I'm behind right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 10:16 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
But these people are not collecting unemployment benefits either. If they want to live in their mother's basement or let their spouse support them so be it.
But they are collecting MANY government benefits. Many of these people also have minor children...Those Children are collecting additional benefits as well.

Unemployment is only a small portion of government assistance.....you also have to consider housing, food, phones, and health care, just to name a few. Add those, and you see the government is providing in excess of $2500/month to many of these unemployed people who should be working but choose not to b/c the government is giving them just enough to keep them satisfied at home...their only job is to vote every 2 years.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
This is a falsehood that Republicans repeat often. Kennedy reduced taxes MAINLY ON THE MIDDLE CLASS. And it was part of a comprehensive plan that included increased spending. To the extent he wanted to cut taxes on the top 1%, the tax rate at that time was 91%. He wanted that decreased to a more reasonable 65%. The top rate is now 35%. And, as we know, the top 1% don't actually pay those rates. Because of the deductions and credits, they pay much less. Billionaire Warren Buffett, for example, paid 3% in income taxes, last I heard, while his secretary paid 13% after her deductions and credits. Trump pays NO taxes.

Reagan decreased taxes MAINLY ON THE WEALTHY.
Bush decreased taxes MAINLY ON THE WEALTHY.

Look at the economies of the Reagan and Bush years, and it's plain what the results of decreased revenue are. The deficit skyrockets, and the gap of financial status between the wealthy and the middle class greatly increases. Just consider the often quoted phrase that Reagan coined: Deficits don't matter. That tells you what happened during the Reagan administration.

It's been proven repeatedly: Trickle down economics does not work. This is a trick that the wealthy perpetrates on the middle class public, who don't remember history and don't know or don't recall all that happened.

Politicians know that the public has a short memory.

Make no mistake: REPUBLICANS OWN what happens next

Make a note here and now: The unemployment rate is 4.9% and has decreased EVERY YEAR since the Dems took the White House at the BEGINNING of the Great Recession caused by Bush. Social Security has maintained security for seniors. The gdp has steadily increased. Interest rates are at historical lows. The deficit increased because of the fixed budget, and the expenditures because of the recession (which resulted in getting us out of that recession). AND starting in 2014, Obamacare added to the deficit.

If this situation changes for the better, Republicans own that. If the situation changes for the worse, or another recession hits, Republicans own that. Repealing Obamacare will reduce the deficit, but the huge tax cuts for the uber wealthy will offset that and possibly overtake it. So that remains to be seen.

But don't try to blame the recession that may hit us on the prior administration. I'm already reading things that hint at an "upcoming recession" that will be blamed on Obama. There is no upcoming recession. The economy is sound and has been steadily improving every year. Is the stock market in a bubble? Maybe. But when it plummets, as it will sooner or later, that's not a recession. Don't confuse the two.
Im sorry but you are just flat out WRONG. Your facts are wrong, and you clearly have ZERO understanding of the tax code...literally none. Buffets rates are based on capital gains...the lowest rate for those is 20% to get to 3% he would have to have gargantuan losses offsetting gains, like Trump did. You do not even know the tax rates....the top tax rate is currently 39.6% The top tax rate if you are also self employed is in excess of 46% after you pay the self employment tax of 7.65%.

We are in a recession. Unemployment exceeds 4.9% The only reason the economy has not collapsed is b/c of the low interest rates....Every quarter the Fed has discussed raising the interest rates in order to have an arrow in the quiver to combat the coming recession, and quarter after quarter they fail to raise the rates because they know with certainty that the second the rates tick back up, the economy tanks. With interest rates as low as they are, the FED is powerless to add additional stimulus to the economy.

The situation is not going to get better before it gets worse...PERIOD...Democrats will say it was Trump's fault, but it wont be. The debt racked up by democrats is going to mean less spending in this country. That lack of spending, coupled with the extraordinary high health care costs of our aging population is going to cripple our governments ability to save us.

We must pay the piper for our past wrongs, and the democrats have set it up perfectly for Trump to be the fall boy. Trump will not own this recession anymore than Obama owned the one he inherited. The difference is Obama's policies made it worse. Obamacare has obliterated jobs...created massive under employment, as employers stay below the 30 hr/week threshold.

Clinton was only successful because he worked with the republican congress. Obama choose not to work with this congress...that was his choice. The gridlock was a result of democrats not allowing anything to get passed, coupled with an upcoming presidential election.

We have two years for republicans to make good changes...hopefully they dont squander that, but the bottom line is that it IS going to get worse before it gets better, and the republicans will not be at fault.

And to keep the thread on Topic: Denver is still overbought. You can expect some devaluation in the 1-3 year time frame...but it wont be another giant bubble burst.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:34 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
As long as people are qualified to buy the homes that they do buy, that will keep what happened in 2006 from happening again. that was a Wall Street problem and crooked banks who were too big to fail. The problem happens if people who are underwater decide to let their homes go into foreclosure. The places that won't ever drop in the long run are places like San Francisco or Manhattan where there is no land to build more homes and the suburbs are full too.

You should see how much land is available in southwest Florida. Hopefully this is where people will move to and build. While I would love the home I bought earlier this year to double in price, it would mean more taxes to pay and I would not be able to buy anything else because I would be priced out of the area.

I am not saying Trump will create the famous housing crash 2.0, but houses don't have to drop 50-70% for there to be a crash. For many, a drop of 20-30% will be pretty damn bad. Now yes, long term holders will be able to weather the crash, but a crash is still a crash.

Increasing home equity is one of the important ways to built wealth for many people. A housing crash is extremely bad for the economy and if it happens it will certainly takes down many other economic sector and lead to a recession.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:42 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Truth! I got laid off in 2009 and it took me 11 months to find a new job because the job market was FLOODED with other folks who also got laid off. When I finally got a job offer, it was for 30% less than I had been earning. I had no choice but to take it because it was the only offer I had received in 11 months of interviewing.

Fortunately, it is a good company and seven years later I'm still here. Just recently I received a promotion and raise - and I'm FINALLY earning what I earned in 1997. I don't think I'll be back up to my 2009 pay level until 2020. At least at that point I'll only be 11 years behind instead of the 19+ I'm behind right now...
You do realize, I hope, that it took you so long to get a job because that was the high of the Great Recession that was caused by Bush. And you should realize that your offer was much less in salary because it's supply and demand; when there are a lot of desperate applicants, the company doesn't have to pay so much. THAT IS THE FREE MARKET. That is not related to Obama in any way. It's related to the Republican recession.

Remember this: If there is a recession under Trump, the Republicans, like in the Bush administration, will totally be responsible for it. If the unemployment rate of 4.9% does not improve every year, that will be due to the Trump administration and Republican Congress.

Trump said, "No one's better at creating jobs than me! I'll create jobs and more jobs! I'll create so may jobs that people will say STOP STOP! Stop with the jobs!" We'll see.

Last edited by bpollen; 11-10-2016 at 11:00 AM..

Old 11-10-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Remember this: If there is a recession under Trump, the Republicans, like in the Bush administration, will totally be responsible for it. If the unemployment rate of 4.9% does not improve every year, that will be due to the Trump administration and Republican Congress.
Contrary to liberal beliefs - repeating false facts does not make it true.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:46 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Just like Texas' many threats to secede.

I have several friends who are thinking of leaving the country. Because Trump is an incompetent narcissistic sociopath. Not because they were in love with Hillary Clinton.

Many people are frightened of Trump. And most people in America did not vote for him.

No one would care if it was Jeb Bush or Rick Kasich. This is a man who makes fun of disabled people, have gone bankrupt five times, brags about grabbing women, and is involved in hate speech.

I'm not selling or moving. But if I did I certainly would not give my house away for anything less than it's worth. The folks who I know who are moving are carefully planing to do so.
This would be like us . With my husband being an EEU citizen , and our youngest dual , but I think we are either going to Norway or the south of France and we are just going to stay . We were going anyway, this just sped it up . I have one year left of residency in either country before I can give up my US citizenship completely instead of just permanent residency . I don't have to but want to and this didn't start now but during the Bush admin . I can withstand the presidency, I think. I just no longer fit in well here and yeah he is a very dangerous, loose cannon of a man , I agree .

I rent but you would not believe the amount of people thinking I am giving up all of my valuables like I am some kind of garage sale - these have been all conservatives.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:57 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,396,974 times
Quote:
This was sarcasm, right? I mean nobody in their right mind would still be blaming Bush for things, right? After 8 years of a different human being as president?

Old 11-10-2016, 12:00 PM

679 posts, read 811,711 times
Generally an improving economy will cause mortgage rates to increase.

Increasing rates leave less people able to qualify for more house than before.

Less qualified buyers will put a freeze on appreciation.

In an already appreciated market, this could be a problem and could be reductions in values.

So if you believe that better economic times are in the future, and there could be flat or decreasing values, you might want to sell and capture any appreciation.

Who is president is not really the point, its a matter of economics and future expectations.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:17 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Mitt Romney was right. What we have witnessed is the biggest con job in American history.

I'm still hoping that there are a few good things that Trump can do...but it's a total crapshoot. The potential negatives seem overwhelming. Real estate values should be the least of our worries.

He was right. And many other sane Republicans have chosen not to vote for this hateful, nasty buffoon.

Here are a few others Christine Todd Whitman (former governor of NJ, lifelong Republican who actually voted for Hillary Clinton)

Mary Matalin, Republican political strategist. (abstained)

All of the Bush family. George H.W. Bush, Barbara Bush. George W. Bush, Laura Bush, Jeb Bush and the rest of the Bush clan.

There are so many others. It is LESS about politics, for most of us, than it is his hateful rhetoric.

- making fun of a fallen US soldier and causing additional grief to his family

- hatred of Latinos and Muslims.

- mocking a disabled reporter

- being involved with bilking people out of money - Trump "University", not paying undocumented Polish workers, stiffing many others who have workers for him - From Caterers to Contractors.

- discriminatory housing practices in NYC

- race bating

- the whole "Birther Movement" crap.

This is abhorrent to most Americans - Republicans, Democrats, Independents and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate