Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 08:23 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post

What she can do is get better pictures, which I cant understand why that hasnt been done by now. The house will eventually sell (hopefully), tho maybe not for the price the OP wants. Good pictures will get traffic, irrespective of whether her agent is good or bad.
I agree that bad photos hurt, and while good photos help, they aren't magic. Good or bad photos all will show:

The above-ground pool is a negative that keeps this house from being move-in ready because it's something that **most** buyers will set aside as a project to be dealt with "later."

Layout is a problem that prevents a house from being move-in ready, which is another deduction. If a house doesn't "live" the way **most** people want homes to live today, i.e. open-concept family room/kitchen, then that means it's not really move-in ready.

Like it or not, the builder-grade oak cabinetry makes it look dated, which is another negative for **most** buyers who are looking in a trendy or up-and-coming area.

All of these factors combined with the location issues mean you can't price it like a typical "move-in ready" house.

Each of these things:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Traffic is an issue, as the road is a shortcut between 2 major roads. Five miles to the train station is an issue. Nothing the OP can do anything about.
... should bring a price deduction because they are "environmental" issues that future owners won't be able to do anything about either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 09:31 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I see no hope for selling this property any time soon without professional pictures and setting an appropriate asking price. Obviously the penny ante price decreases are doing more harm than good. Seller needs to pick a realistic price that won't require further reductions.

The Realtor should pay for the professional photography. If the seller pays for it seller should get a release from the photographer that allows unlimited re-use, in case Realtors are changed.

If I were the seller I would change Realtors when the ER expires. Unless something major changes I don't see this property selling any time soon.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:36 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
do you think its possible that buyers agents are not bringing buyers to your home because your agent has a bad reputation? because something doesnt add up here...
I have had 18 showings all with buyers agents. SO tell me why after they come in and see it, why do they all leave feed back-not interested at this time, just looking. Why can't they bring people in who are actual buyers? Not just looking.

It IS a open floor plan. The kitchen, dining area and living room are open to the whole side of the house. Living area is 19x15, dining is 10x13, kitchen 9x12 with a 4 foot breakfast bar that seats 3.

Master is 12x14, 6x9 walk in closet.
Bedroom downstairs is 10x13
Bathroom is 10x9 in the center of house-jack n jill with master bedroom.
Laundry first floor
Bedroom 3 is 12x16 with walk in closet-6x5
Bedroom 4 is 12 x16 with walk in closet- 6x5 also a access to attic by a door.
Both bedrooms have dormer areas that will fit a twin sized bed
Family room- 20x25 with a large 15 foot dormer that adds footage to room.

Sorry, I didn't build a McMansion. I built what we could afford.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:42 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Your problem is not what you have, the problem is your marketing. As I said, good pictures and a realistic price are the way you can get it sold.

not interested at this time, just looking = too expensive for what it is

Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
I have had 18 showings all with buyers agents. SO tell me why after they come in and see it, why do they all leave feed back-not interested at this time, just looking. Why can't they bring people in who are actual buyers? Not just looking.
They ARE actual buyers. They just don't want to buy your house at the asking price (or anything close to asking).

Those 18 people hired a realtor to show them homes. Those 18 people AND their realtor invested their time into looking at your home and, I'm quite sure, looked at other homes. I'm betting that at least half of those 18 people have made offers on other homes that they looked at. Heck, some have probably closed and have moved into their new homes by now.

It's a funny thing about feedback; Most people in this world want to be nice. They don't enjoy hurting someone's feelings. Even when it's a stranger who is selling a house. Hence, feedback is often complete BSC.

Or, perhaps, your realtor isn't reporting honestly the feedback to you? I could easily imagine several scenarios where it might be making her look even more incompetent than she already looks.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:24 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
If they have a buyer's agent, they are interested in buying. They just give the "path of least resistance" feedback.

Quote:
The PRICE it that way to SELL it.

The SIZE of the house isn't the problem. Yes, it is a perfectly fine house and technically anyone COULD move right in and live a great life there! But when selling your house during a time when your house doesn't match the generally preferred standard of what's ***in right now***, it's harder to sell. The size isn't bad. It's the perception of what would need to be done to make it the buyer's idea of livable that's the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
not interested at this time, just looking = too expensive for what it is
Yep.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I believe the house needs professional photos. The current ones do not do it justice.
No understand the need...just curious as to why OP is doing the hiring/paying for it?

Old 01-09-2017, 12:43 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
I began looking at homes a month ago. I have looked at 9 so far. Only four have been eliminated. Two need to much work for me to consider and the other two are under contract. The other 5 are all priced too high for what I'd pay. It doesn't mean I'm not an actual 'buyer'. I have a preapproval and an agent. They are just all asking a solid 15-20% more than what I'd pay. Inventory is super low at the moment here and things priced correctly sell almost immediately.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:07 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Quote:

It IS a open floor plan. The kitchen, dining area and living room are open to the whole side of the house. Living area is 19x15, dining is 10x13, kitchen 9x12 with a 4 foot breakfast bar that seats 3.

Master is 12x14, 6x9 walk in closet.
Bedroom downstairs is 10x13
Bathroom is 10x9 in the center of house-jack n jill with master bedroom.
Laundry first floor
Bedroom 3 is 12x16 with walk in closet-6x5
Bedroom 4 is 12 x16 with walk in closet- 6x5 also a access to attic by a door.
Both bedrooms have dormer areas that will fit a twin sized bed
Family room- 20x25 with a large 15 foot dormer that adds footage to room.

Your house is over 2000 square feet. Thats plenty big for many families. Putting down the dimensions of the rooms doesnt do anything if the pictures dont give the impression they are of good size. It boils down to the pictures. You have to get people there to look at the house. They have to see the pictures and say...hey, Bill, lets go look at this house. It looks really nice.

I would have thought if you were really serious about selling this house, you would have gotten someone to stage it and take great pictures of it.

Last edited by carnivalday; 01-09-2017 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 01:48 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
is that Electric Heat I spy...it says Baseboard...but not whether it is hot water, or Electric Baseboard......

I know it is painted...and new floors, but that house screams 70's and ugly. There is just something "off"--like maybe just the dark green trim/counters and the oak cabinets.

Whose idea was it to do the "upgrades" rather than just sell it?

Price changes....assuming you are priced correctly to begin with......5% after a few months; another 5% after a few more months. Stay put down 10% and see where the bids show up and start the negotiation.

The first thing you need when selling a house is a buyer. Once you have a buyer, you discuss price. Those two processes are often merged, but in reality, they are discreet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate