Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 09:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times

Advertisements

We have a trail in the front of our house. The people walking by irritate our dog (she's skittish) other than that it has never bothered us. I love the ability to walk out my front door and go for a run on the trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 10:10 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
If you have easy access to the trail, it could actually be a positive amenity.
Easy access could also work the other way .It could be easy for those using the trail to get on private property. . I would not want a stranger knocking on the door wanting to use the bathroom.

Last edited by longneckone; 11-13-2016 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-13-2016, 11:31 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I think it depends upon how much you would use the trail yourself. Personally, I'd love to step out my door onto a nice trail where I could walk my dogs without worrying about cars.

In the town where I live, there is an extensive trail system and it is a big plus to be located close to the trail system. So it is also going to depend upon how the residents of that town view the trails and upon how well they are maintained.

I also know what that one of the major cities in my state allows the homeless to live on the trail system and many of the residents are now uncomfortable using the hiking / biking trails. In that town, I wouldn't want to live anywhere near the trail system.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:42 PM

257 posts, read 489,298 times
Years ago we lived in a development outside Philadelphia that had a paved walking trail behind all of the homes. The development had approximately 120 homes in it. Our house did not have a fenced back yard but adjoined a pasture with 10-12 sheep in it. We enjoyed using the trail to walk our dog and give our young children a place to ride their bikes. It provided us a way to meet neighbors when we were in our back yard. Many people stopped with their children to watch the sheep. There was never any problems caused by having the walking path there. If it is a good area and you love the house, don't let the backyard trail stop you.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
Depends on a lot of factors as to whether I would want a trail behind my house. If the trails in my neighborhood were behind my house I would have no problem with that as they are paved, well-cared for by the local parks district, located in an upper-middle class area where homeless are quickly pushed out by the police, and most of the users are conscientious about keeping them clean. On the other hand, if the trail were one located 20 miles to the East of me in a large city that does little to prevent homeless people from camping on the trails, where trash is everywhere and where many of the users are not conscientious about keeping the trails clean, and public safety on the trail is questionable then no I wouldn't want that trail behind my house.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:25 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I'd consider it an asset but we back up to a park now and use it all the time. Sure people can see into your yard even with a privacy fence so you have to take that into account. For us the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate