Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:57 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
No...I'm not getting my "professions crossed up". Once again, we were talking with the inspector and he gave us his opinion. He also said that if we were buyers and he was doing an inspection for us, he wouldn't have made those suggestions
It appears you are your own worst enemy

best of luck .... I have a feeling you are going to need it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 12:27 PM

245 posts, read 291,563 times
why would a seller pay for an inspector? put it on the market, accept an offer, and let the buyer pay for the inspector if they want one.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:04 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
It appears you are your own worst enemy

best of luck .... I have a feeling you are going to need it
What?

How am I my "own worst enemy"? Because we hired an inspector to see if the house had any major problems before putting it on the market? Is that what you're talking about? If so, how is what we did a bad thing?

Do tell. I'll wait.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:06 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
why would a seller pay for an inspector? put it on the market, accept an offer, and let the buyer pay for the inspector if they want one.
I explained all that in my OP. Years ago, a realtor suggested doing so. Since then, I've read similar advice.

Better to know about any major problems now in order to fix them, correct?

Old 11-22-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I explained all that in my OP. Years ago, a realtor suggested doing so. Since then, I've read similar advice.

Better to know about any major problems now in order to fix them, correct?
But fixing the problems ahead of time wont get you more money. You are just paying out the money for inspection and repairs before putting it on the market.

If you have get an offer for $300k and buyer inspection shows a $10k necessary repair is needed they might negotiate the price to $290k-$295k. But if you do the inspection before listing you pay the inspector fee plus the $10k repair. And making the repair doesn't mean you will get offers for $310k now. You will likely get the same $300k offer but since you paid for the repair ahead of time you are at $290k (less the inspection fee) and no way to negotiate to split the repair cost with the buyer.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:43 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
But fixing the problems ahead of time wont get you more money. You are just paying out the money for inspection and repairs before putting it on the market.

If you have get an offer for $300k and buyer inspection shows a $10k necessary repair is needed they might negotiate the price to $290k-$295k. But if you do the inspection before listing you pay the inspector fee plus the $10k repair. And making the repair doesn't mean you will get offers for $310k now. You will likely get the same $300k offer but since you paid for the repair ahead of time you are at $290k (less the inspection fee) and no way to negotiate to split the repair cost with the buyer.
But don't do a repair and then the buyer is wasting their time because the bank won't approve the mortgage.

Or wait to get an offer and for the buyer to inspect and rush to get the repair done within the closing date.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
But don't do a repair and then the buyer is wasting their time because the bank won't approve the mortgage.

Or wait to get an offer and for the buyer to inspect and rush to get the repair done within the closing date.
or make the repair and have buyer's inspector point out the repair was done incorrectly and/or is only a quick/cheap fix

Old 11-22-2016, 09:42 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:

I totally agree.

An inspector gives an opinion and opinions vary---wildly. The only inspector's opinion that matters is the buyer's.

I'd argue that you don't even get the benefit of assurance. In the case of the OP's house, it doesn't matter if it his/her inspector says that 19 year old appliances and roof can last another 5 years. The buyer's inspector could very well say it all needs to be replaced.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:38 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
I recently paid for an inspector on a house I'm under contract for. I preferred to know exactly what I was getting into. The inspector also got on top of the roof, up in the attic, and in the crawl space. The inspector confirmed the electrical situation was in better shape than I presumed, but I'll still be coming out of pocket for future upgrades/maintenance. Also brought things to my attention about rerouting a line for the hot water heater and a small leak under the sink. As for structural, the inspector confirmed that the house was pretty sound. No structural issues and no mold issues.

I ultimately paid for a little extra peace of mind to go forth with my offer and start purchasing appliances.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:16 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
agreed across the board (except the water heater strapping, we don't do that in northern VA)
Good Lord! How do you survive? Unsecured water heaters are a public menace here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate