Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:04 PM

16,320 posts, read 8,415,553 times

Advertisements

I own several properties that have either long term renters, or are vacation rentals. They break even or in the case of one vacation property, it generates a nice profit after expenses.
This weekend I came across a property in the area (of the profit generating vacation rental) which is in an upscale resort community. The equilevent updated turn key places are valued at $1 milion dollars, but I think this one will go at $800k to a cash buyer.
Trouble is, I dont have that type of money in cash, only half. So for me to make a real offer, I'd need another investor with $400k, or two investors at $200k each.

I know when people have good ideas to make a widget, they find angel investors (or some type of similar term) to lend them the capitol if they believe in the products potential. That of course involves risk for the investors. My plan involves collateralized property that can be bought $200k under the market value, so it is safe provided the housing market doesn't crash (as it did in 2008).

I assume on a big scale, there are plenty of wealthy investors with cash who find and sell real estate as a business, or way to profit outside their own fields.
I need to find a place where the potential investors are not so big/wealthy my proposal will be too small a deal to interest them. But they obviously have to possess the ability to come up with $200 to $400k which is not chump change.
Where do I look for such investors?

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 04:41 AM

8,542 posts, read 12,306,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
So for me to make a real offer, I'd need another investor with $400k, or two investors at $200k each.
Can't you get a regular loan? Is there a possibility of Seller-financing?

Personally, I wouldn't want a high-interest loan from a private investor; nor would I want a partner on an investment.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:02 AM

89 posts, read 82,771 times
Just get a mortgage on the second half. It will certainly be lower interest than any "investor" will expect in return from this 'investment'. Especially considering other 'investment' properties are breaking even.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:35 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,611,782 times
For $1 million dollar properties, your $200k profit could go poof overnight. There are no guarantees in real estate. Good luck finding a sucker, um.... investor.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:47 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,318,976 times
Might be a deal, might not.

Depending on its size and condition, it could easily cost $100k or more to renovate. Selling expenses could eat up another $60k or so.

You can check out www.Biggerpockets.com

Old 11-29-2016, 09:00 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,884,246 times
Think smaller. If you only have $400K.. look for flips in your budget.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:22 AM

32,528 posts, read 47,597,720 times
Gee, no thanks. But thank you for offering me the chance to invest in an expensive place that might break even or it might not and if it does make a profit, I could have half the profit. It would have to be a heck of a generous profit for me to receive half and that would be enough to cover the investment of $400,000.

You might be able to borrow private money, but it will cost considerably more than getting a mortgage from the bank. If you've got half down, you shouldn't have any problem getting a bank issued mortgage at a decent rate especially if you have proof that this house will turn a profit every month.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:01 PM

16,320 posts, read 8,415,553 times
Thanks for all your suggestions thus far.

I have enough experience with this resort area and property values to where I did not embellish anything. This place might very well fetch $1.2 million in a few years provided the economy/housing market doesn't hit a snag.
It is also possible I can get the owner to sell it in the mid $700's for a quick cash offer, but I am not looking to put the most optimistic spin on it.
Regarding the suggestion to finance or get a mortgage, that defeats most incentives for the owner to sell directly to me now, vs. listing it at the start of the new year. Plus I obviously want most of that $50k savings to come my way.

It is not so much I need to look at smaller investments, as I keep my eyes open for such things all the time. This place is one of those special deals that come along infrequently, especialy considering how I am already in this rental market which will help get the 3-4% returns until the market causes this place to reach it's full potential. For example these places were at 1.5 million before the housing bubble. I do not see them getting that high again, but 1.2 is very plausible.

As a side note, I missed out on a place in the Key's that I knew was a great deal. Sure enough, just a few years later, it's value has increased by 27%. Thus I like to stay within regions I know will not only appreciate, but can also make a return via rentals.
In this economy (unless you are good at investing in the stock market), you cannot get better returns that are safe than maybe 1-2% on say a jumbo 5 year CD.
This place will make the 3% minimum return after all expenses, all the while appreciating.

Lastly, as to the poster who mentioned renovation costs, I have this place pegged at $20-25K tops. I am pretty good at accurately estimating what it will take within a few thousand dollars.
My real estate/closing attorney gives me a great rate for private sales, so the $60k selling costs would not be the case, as I do not list with companies.

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming, especially places where I can find potential investors who like real estate investments.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:26 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,318,976 times
So you aren't planning on flipping it until the market goes up? What if it goes down?

Must be a nice place as $20k-25k doesn't go very far depending on the size of the home which all potential investors still don't know. Also, what city are we talking here, or at least get us close

FYI the most expensive house that I flipped was purchased for $1.9 mil in San Francisco so I do have knowledge in this arena.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:27 PM

245 posts, read 290,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Lastly, as to the poster who mentioned renovation costs, I have this place pegged at $20-25K tops.
this seems extremely unlikely to me. Buy $1M house for $800k, make $25k in renovations, then sell for $1M-$1.2M ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate