Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 1,905 times

Advertisements

So I am not sure if anyone here can help me with this issue, but I am currently in a bind. My father is an older gentleman in his golden years, retired, and owns his own a rental property in California, he has put his rental property under my name, my sister, and my brother so to leave us as owners when he passes away. My father however is living off the property while we pay taxes lol, anyways it's adding about 30k to my 100k salary on paper. I am wanting to get my first property here in Washington state this coming year, I know the added income should help me with this, however, my mother wants me to cosign on a property in California for her to get since she's retired and her fixed income is not enough to qualify. So my question is if cosigning for my mother will negatively affect me in getting my own property? I've been told that if the property pays for itself and is seen as an investment property it shouldn't affect my own pursuit for property in WA, does anyone know what my best option should be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 04:46 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,241 times
Yes, cosigning for your Mom will hurt you when trying to buy your own place. Have you considered that, if her fixed income isn't enough to qualify to buy on her own, she may not be able to pay her mortgage plus taxes and insurance either.

Unless the rental is an apartment building, how is it adding $30k to your income for qualifying purposes?

Old 12-04-2016, 05:11 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Suze Orman quote "Never, ever, ever co-sign a loan." So many reasons why but it frequently damages relationships along with your credit.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:10 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Really too complicated answer based upon the info you have provided. Each property will have a mortgage, equity, and then there is your income.

Its a mathematical equation as to how many properties you can own based upon your salary and debts. And you can only own 4 mortgaged properties at really low personal rates.

That said..... I wouldn't cosign for anyone, anything, ever. If they cant afford something, they need to think about something they can afford.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:23 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Your mother needs to find housing that she can afford on her own. When you co-sign a loan, you are accepting responsibility to make the loan payments on your own if your mother cannot. Then there is also upkeep and taxes. If your mother is older, there is a good chance that health expenses or other issues could affect her ability to pay sooner than you may think.

Last edited by Harpaint; 12-04-2016 at 07:49 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I thought it was a bad idea, this confirms it.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:54 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
My rule is never co-sign with anyone for anything for any reason. The person you're co-signing for will inevitably end up being a train wreck for you. Seen it every time I've come across it.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:11 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Just so you are aware, in order for a co-signed debt not to be included in your debt, you would have to provide a 12 month history that mom has made the payment on her own (so if you are on her checking/savings accounts, you need to come off). That documentation, showing no late payments along with a letter from mom they she will continue to assume responsibility of all future payments will remove this debt from your qualifying. This is true for conventional, FHA, and VA loans.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:20 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckJck View Post
So I am not sure if anyone here can help me with this issue, but I am currently in a bind. My father is an older gentleman in his golden years, retired, and owns his own a rental property in California, he has put his rental property under my name, my sister, and my brother so to leave us as owners when he passes away. My father however is living off the property while we pay taxes lol, anyways it's adding about 30k to my 100k salary on paper. I am wanting to get my first property here in Washington state this coming year, I know the added income should help me with this, however, my mother wants me to cosign on a property in California for her to get since she's retired and her fixed income is not enough to qualify. So my question is if cosigning for my mother will negatively affect me in getting my own property? I've been told that if the property pays for itself and is seen as an investment property it shouldn't affect my own pursuit for property in WA, does anyone know what my best option should be?
You should consult with a lawyer familiar with trusts and probate issues immediately. How long ago did this happen? Unless your father retained a life estate in the Deed, it is generally a bad idea to transfer assets as a gift. That way, you are stuck with your father's original basis in the property for tax purposes; whereas if it's inherited you receive the stepped-up basis. You could potentially be hit with a huge tax bill if asset transfers aren't handled properly. I'm not sure if what has been done can be undone, but you should seek appropriate legal advice immediately.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
You should consult with a lawyer familiar with trusts and probate issues immediately. How long ago did this happen? Unless your father retained a life estate in the Deed, it is generally a bad idea to transfer assets as a gift. That way, you are stuck with your father's original basis in the property for tax purposes; whereas if it's inherited you receive the stepped-up basis. You could potentially be hit with a huge tax bill if asset transfers aren't handled properly. I'm not sure if what has been done can be undone, but you should seek appropriate legal advice immediately.
This happened earlier this year, his name is off the property already, so if his name is off the property will this still be an issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate