Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:42 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

Have you heard from your designer friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 08:48 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Have you heard from your designer friend?
Yes just about to post this, thanks for pushing the idea. She said she would be glad to help, declined my offer to pay. I think I will keep the appointments with the 2 contractors, hear their ideas and get a quote based on what we have discussed here. I can always ask them to tweek if we have a change of plans. But I won't book any other until after we meet with our friend.

Do you think a tub taller than the bottom of the window will look bad? What about the second sink outside the bathroom in the change arra?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Here is a complete view from 3 angles, sorry for not straigtening up. Total is about 95 SF, a 60" tub will fit where the current tub is. First shot shows the tub and bay, it's a beautiful view as we live in the country but a tint may he a good idea, trees don't totally block the neighbor. Something I forgot to note was the need to replace the center window so they match, house came this way. So there's another $700, heated floors are not happening. The height to the start of the glass is 23", much lower than a stand alone pedastal, Japanese soaking, or the high side of a claw foot. Wouldn't a tub higher than the window look strange?

Other shot is looking the other way, laundry area is 34" deep by 59" long with the rough in. Wall between toilet and laundry room can be removed. This would be a large shower or a shower, second sink. Last shot is from the door, as you can see no room for a double sink as the toilet is maybe 2 1/2 feet to the left of the sink. Oddly enough right before you enter the bathroom, directly to the right in a little changing area full of closets, is another plumbing rough in for a second sink. So that would be another option, one I really didn't feel was necessary. I still don't get the 2 sinks, we like never brush our teeth at the exact same time.

=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Davekn/media/IMG_20170102_073153_zpsmxf2a78g.jpg.html][/url]
Thanks for the pictures.

1. I don't think the height of the windows will be an issue in relation to a stand alone tub as long as you do something to the window. It's such a bright window I would be more likely to use frosting rather than tint.

2. Subway tile is not necessary, you're going to be here for a while, just pick something you like but neutral.

3. The pictures help with the placement of the shower but the addition of the "changing area" got me confused again. Especially as it seems there was a sink there previously? Some master suites have a set up with a vanity and sink, outside the bath like in a passthrough, so one person can use it while the other is actually in the bathroom. Is that what you mean?

If that is the case, a nice wide single vanity in there, and a smaller single in the bathroom may really do the trick.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Please, no frosted windows! Especially since the view is what you are highlighting.

If you can fit double sinks in a reasonable, logical and attractive way, I think that's a big YES. You've never had them right? After one week, you'll wonder how you lived without them. And this is one of the few things in a bathroom remodeling that (imo as a consumer) can be a deal breaker. Especially if it's a home that will eventually appeal to a two person working family.

I'm terrible at visualizing spaces, so I won't even go there. But I strongly urge you to ask both contractors and your designer friend about the possibility of a second vanity and sink. Not pedestal- no storage or counterpoint sucks. Not vessel - too trendy for this farmhouse.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Thanks for the pictures.

1. I don't think the height of the windows will be an issue in relation to a stand alone tub as long as you do something to the window. It's such a bright window I would be more likely to use frosting rather than tint.

2. Subway tile is not necessary, you're going to be here for a while, just pick something you like but neutral.

3. The pictures help with the placement of the shower but the addition of the "changing area" got me confused again. Especially as it seems there was a sink there previously? Some master suites have a set up with a vanity and sink, outside the bath like in a pass through, so one person can use it while the other is actually in the bathroom. Is that what you mean?

If that is the case, a nice wide single vanity in there, and a smaller single in the bathroom may really do the trick.
Yeah what I call a changing room you called a pass through. It's a small room maybe 8' x 8' with closets on 2 sides, a window on the 3rd. Where I stood to take that picture, directly to my right and on the same wall as the bathroom door, is a plumbing rough in for a sink. That's it, just the rough in as there has never been an actual sink there. I may just leave it and give the new owners the option of adding a 2nd sink if it's important to them, or maybe add that at a later date which may elimate the need for a double sink. So yeah it is as you described.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:43 AM

I know this thread has kind of run its course but I do have one more question. Looks like my budget's way to low, costs are going to be higher than expected. This may force me to abandon the clawfoot tub and go with a similar set up as the current look only with a white deep soaking tub and updated tile. The savings is $1,000, think I will really lower the selling point factor with this change?

Old 01-04-2017, 12:25 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
I know this thread has kind of run its course but I do have one more question. Looks like my budget's way to low, costs are going to be higher than expected. This may force me to abandon the clawfoot tub and go with a similar set up as the current look only with a white deep soaking tub and updated tile. The savings is $1,000, think I will really lower the selling point factor with this change?
A drop in/ framed tub can be a great choice. If that is the case, then spend the moolah on the tile work. People like well done tile work. Personally I'd get that laundry room set up out of the bathroom and replace with a shower. While double sinks are optimal, a wide, single attractive vanity would still work wonders. Personally I'd prefer that to two sinks side by side and really close together. If your budget isn't as high as you'd like, do the best with what you have. Again, if tile is going to be too expensive, go with a nice luxury vinyl. You don't need to install super high end fixtures and hardware. Paint shouldn't be too expensive and would work wonders for that space. And replace those roll up blinds and anything that darken that room.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:39 PM

247 posts, read 363,735 times
Quote:

I think that a tile-surrounded drop in tub is good. Heck, ANY tub is good to me at this point, as most of my own home searches are finding master bathrooms with showers only, and I LOVE to soak in the tub! You might not get it as deep as you were hoping due to the window, but have you considered moving things around a little and getting a corner tub? Maybe move the vanity over to the other side of the tub? (Not sure how that would work in relation to the door, and obviously you can't move the vanity to the left because of the toilet.)

Also, since I wasn't in the discussion originally but someone might come along with the same question, when I was considering how to redo my bathrooms six years ago, I looked up the benefits of tile vs linoleum, which is what we had a the time. Vinyl flooring, especially the kind you get in rolls, is much more susceptible to moisture, which is why they don't recommend them for the kitchen or bathroom if you can at all afford the engineered hardwoods (for kitchens) or tile. And I second/third/fourth the idea of buying your supplies and having the contractor pick it up. We did this and saved thousands, although that was in part because we used our military discount at Lowes. Check and see if you qualify for any of the discounts at Lowes or Home Depot. They don't just have military ones.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the replies, I realize my time is about up here. I feel foolish in thinking a $5,000 budget was realistic, it's going to be 3 times that with tje lumbing amd electrical work needed for the laundry room. But again tile vs vinyl floors is not the reason, just not that much floor space once the tub/shower is factored in. So we will pick out a nice neutral tile for floors, tub and shower with the help of our designer friend.. But no subway tile, ever. Bamboo shades will be replaced by curtains.

And yes the one stop shop guy added $10,000. I have a truck and I have friends, I don't want to pay a contractor to drive to the tile store where he will mark up the costs. I'm just relieved to read the new tub plan won't screw things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate