Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 12:20 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Ridiculous, discriminatory, and bringing more pain and loss to an already grieving family!
Well, maybe, but the people purchasing have the right to know if they are going to be harrassed over it during their residency. People aren't shy about banging on doors asking to see where so and so died. The Sharon Tate house was torn down and the land subdivided and people still ask residents is this where it happened?

We had a suicide house in our neighborhood, and we all knew about how it happened, and that house turned over time after time. We kids thought it was haunted. In reality, the neighborhood wouldn't let it go...the guy that hung himself was very well liked, seemingly had no problems and the suicide was unexpected and designed for maximum family blowback. He hung himself in the garage, so when his wife and daughters got home and opened the garage door to pull in the car, they would find him dead.

I was about seven when it happened, and I was in college when the house finally got a long term resident. And the very fact that fifty years later I am still aware of it shows how long this stigma can last. If I bring it up with old time friends....they all remember it, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 01:38 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I was about seven when it happened, and I was in college when the house finally got a long term resident. And the very fact that fifty years later I am still aware of it shows how long this stigma can last. If I bring it up with old time friends....they all remember it, too.
No, I'm not trying to be mean, but it shows that you have antiquated and uneducated views about suicide and mental illness. Which is true of MOST Americans. And that needs to change.

I find it remarkably bizarre that California has the foresight and kindness to legally approve physician assisted suicide, then screws the grieving family with these ridiculous disclosure rules.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:03 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
It doesn't appear to matter much, or perhaps some persons see a notorious home as a selling point.

A chilling look inside the house that made serial murderer Jeffrey Dahmer - AOL Finance

Old 01-06-2017, 03:25 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No, I'm not trying to be mean, but it shows that you have antiquated and uneducated views about suicide and mental illness. Which is true of MOST Americans. And that needs to change.

I find it remarkably bizarre that California has the foresight and kindness to legally approve physician assisted suicide, then screws the grieving family with these ridiculous disclosure rules.

Actually that was in PA. And I don't think anyone had to disclose there, but I'm not sure. It's just everybody knew about -- and then probably told the new families... who then found reasons to leave.

Not sure about the disclosure laws here. I did research into my house long after I bought it and I'm pretty sure no one died in it -- which I find somewhat amazing for a 90 some year old house. I didn't find all the deeds though, but it looked as if it went from person to person, never the estate of...

Old 01-06-2017, 03:58 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
They do not have to be disclosed in Texas unless the house/property was the actual cause of the death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
...like with the Wicked Witch of the East.
Or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yil2jWQ5Oqg

Old 01-06-2017, 06:00 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Actually that was in PA. And I don't think anyone had to disclose there, but I'm not sure. It's just everybody knew about -- and then probably told the new families... who then found reasons to leave.

Not sure about the disclosure laws here. I did research into my house long after I bought it and I'm pretty sure no one died in it -- which I find somewhat amazing for a 90 some year old house. I didn't find all the deeds though, but it looked as if it went from person to person, never the estate of...
In NC an executor can sell the house in the name of the deceased. Deeds and public records would not show 'the estate of'. Also, a child or parent or friend could have died in the house and you would never know.

NC does not require a death be disclosed.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:25 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Anyone familiar with "The Watcher" case here in NJ? (If not, you can google it; it's in Westfield, NJ.) The people who bought the house are suing the former owners because the owners didn't reveal that they had received a letter from some creepy person who claims to be watching the house. No actual physical attacks and certainly no death involved. I'd go into more details, but (a) they are silly and (b) the story has been hyped and covered to death. It's ongoing, BTW.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:20 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
You don't have to in Wyoming.

I once rented a house in a great neighborhood that I otherwise would not have been able to afford because of a family murder, caused by drugs. The son, my landlord, said "I just need someone to break through its past and give it a better name." It was a small-ish town.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:05 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Not looking to buy a house, but one thing I am curious about is if something really tragic happened in a house, say multiple homicide, does it need to be disclosed when selling it?
Doubt if people would pay extra for it.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:04 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
What Information an Arizona Seller Doesn’t Need to Disclose

As stated above, a good rule to follow is to disclose all material property issues to the buyer. There is some information, however, that a seller does not legally have to disclose, such as:
•Whether the property is located in an area with a sex offender. (Buyers can look up this information online, using the Arizona Department of Safety sex offender database.)
•Whether the property was previously owned by someone diagnosed with AIDS, exposed to HIV, or diagnosed with any other disease not known to be transmitted through occupancy.
•Whether a suicide, natural death, murder, or any other felony was committed at the property.

(See Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 32-2156.)

If the buyer asks, however, it is important that you do not lie to or make misleading statements about the matters above. Instead, either answer honestly or indicate that you will not answer because you are not required to do so by law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate