Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 10:44 AM

16,228 posts, read 10,364,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
THIS^^^ She was not acting as a realtor, she was acting as your crazy neighbor. You have no reason to report her anymore than you would have reason to call the AMA if she were a doctor.

I know you aren't asking for opinions here, but I'd be choosing "happy" over "right" in this case and leaving it be, unless you absolutely must have that area while you're both living there.

You don't know why she reacted that way. Maybe she just came from the doctor and told she has a lump they need to look at further...maybe she lost a sale and can't pay her bills this month, and she saw that guy on her grounds and freaked about how she will have enough to make a new driveway, who knows?

IMO too, it would have solved a lot of issues if you had simply discussed the fact you were hiring a surveyor ahead of time. No you didn't have to, but it would have been the considerate thing to do and maybe it would have gone better than "SURPRISE!!!!" did.
I think you are being a bit too generous by offering possible explanations (excuses?) for a neighbor who in my opinion was way out of line with her behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 10:44 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,986,870 times
Quote:
THIS^^^ She was not acting as a realtor, she was acting as your crazy neighbor. You have no reason to report her anymore than you would have reason to call the AMA if she were a doctor.

I know you aren't asking for opinions here, but I'd be choosing "happy" over "right" in this case and leaving it be, unless you absolutely must have that area while you're both living there.

You don't know why she reacted that way. Maybe she just came from the doctor and told she has a lump they need to look at further...maybe she lost a sale and can't pay her bills this month, and she saw that guy on her grounds and freaked about how she will have enough to make a new driveway, who knows?

IMO too, it would have solved a lot of issues if you had simply discussed the fact you were hiring a surveyor ahead of time. No you didn't have to, but it would have been the considerate thing to do and maybe it would have gone better than "SURPRISE!!!!" did.
I have had neighbors at my former farm have surveys done.

I never expected them to notify me ahead of time nor did I act like a raving lunatic when the surveyor was doing his job.

I fail to see how posters can give justifications for this lunatic's behavior !

Old 01-17-2017, 11:57 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,758,696 times
Quote:
I agree, this ^^^^ may have forestalled the ugly confrontation. Unfortunately it is water under the bridge at this point.

If you feel you cannot talk to the neighbor, get a lawyer to write her a letter telling her what is going on and what her responsibilities are (allowing the survey, perhaps paying for the failed previous one) and what will happen if she does not meet her obligations, and go from there.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:09 PM

19,424 posts, read 27,765,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Hasn't been true since Bill Clinton, really.
Actually, I'd take it back to JFK. . .

Old 01-17-2017, 12:39 PM

8,568 posts, read 12,373,413 times
Quote:
...or maybe she's just a lunatic.

(posted before I read David Stone's reply above)

Old 01-17-2017, 12:42 PM

8,568 posts, read 12,373,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, I'd take it back to JFK. . .
...or Thomas Jefferson!

Old 01-17-2017, 01:56 PM

50,616 posts, read 36,306,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I have had neighbors at my former farm have surveys done.

I never expected them to notify me ahead of time nor did I act like a raving lunatic when the surveyor was doing his job.

I fail to see how posters can give justifications for this lunatic's behavior !
I'm not justifying as much as trying to find alternate ways to look at it so he can find a way to co-exist with her. OP has to live next to her for however many years, it's going to be quite unpleasant if he's going to hold onto his anger, justified or not, and start a feud with her. This is especially true if she is really that loose a cannon.
Again, IMO these situations usually require a choice of being "right" or being happy. I want to be happy so I would find a way to get along with her, and if giving her a heads up helps that, I'm going to do it whether I have to or not. I don't want to have to worry every time I let the cat out.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 01-17-2017, 02:25 PM

16,228 posts, read 10,364,528 times
But she does not live there, she rents out the property so the OP does not have to worry about a war with her next door neighbor.

Unless I missed it what was the purpose of the survey? Was it to confirm your thoughts that the driveway was on your property? If it were me and I was treated this way when you did nothing wrong I would go ahead and force her to move the drive, or pay you a settlement. What she did was totally over the line and it would upset me as well.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:44 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,294,873 times
Not that it matters, but just curious on how big these properties are? Are we talking an acre or two or 40+? The reason I am curious is that it would be much more bearable living next to a undesirable neighbor if there was a large buffer of land between the two homes and you couldn't see her house. If you can see each other's homes in close proximity, I'd be looking to sell.

I used to own land in an area where a guy built an entire house almost to completion on the wrong 40 acres by 25 feet or so. He tried to get the neighbor to agree to a small lot line adjustment and was offering him 5 of his acres and some cash for just a 25 x 25 foot lot line adjustment in the corner so his house would be on his land. He was also going to pay the surveyor, all the related costs and handle the paperwork. The other guy refused and immediately put up a fence around "his" new house, which technically it was now and wouldn't let the guy who built it to step foot on his property to even try and remove anything. The last I heard, it was never resolved and they both still hate each other. I do feel bad for the guy who built it, but it's on him for building before a survey.

Every time I've bought land the first thing I do is hire a surveyor for less than $500 to make sure everything is legit and never trust the existing corner markers without him/her verifying. This has worked out well for me.

Anyways, good luck.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:52 PM

504 posts, read 299,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
How does her behavior as a neighbor have any affect on her as a professional? As she was not in a Realtor role, why are you reporting her to her Broker?
If I was a broker, I would want to know that a realtor of mine was acting in a non-professional manner on any time that realtor was involved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate