U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 09:01 AM

810 posts, read 1,282,364 times

Advertisements

Glad you found your vents!

In our case the finished basement has a section of baseboard, but it's much too small to heat the whole space so the basement is always cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 08:32 AM

15,830 posts, read 24,192,256 times
A piano in a basement in NJ???? I don't think so. You two are really in dire need of someone to guide you in home ownership.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:40 AM

30 posts, read 33,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
A piano in a basement in NJ???? I don't think so. You two are really in dire need of someone to guide you in home ownership.
I was concerned. My husband says it's all good. We've got French drains and 2 sump pumps going in and will be getting a generator as back up.

You may be right. I hope not though.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:43 AM

30 posts, read 33,244 times
I also made sure the piano would be covered in our homeowner's insurance policy even if it's in the basement. I'm going to triple check that.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:50 PM

31,365 posts, read 57,591,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teo23 View Post
OK i'm pretty embarrassed to come and tell you this but um well... there are vents! We missed them as we were in a hurry. We were looking on the walls and they were on the ceiling. So I guess please go ahead and have a good laugh on our behalf. I for one am relieved obviously.

Thanks for your thoughts and concerns.
Being embarrassed is less expensive than having to find a way to heat the rooms! Glad things turned out for you .. and yes, in most basements the duct openings would be on the ceiling!

Old 01-23-2017, 11:43 AM

5,048 posts, read 6,462,368 times
Quote:
OK i'm pretty embarrassed to come and tell you this but um well... there are vents! We missed them as we were in a hurry. We were looking on the walls and they were on the ceiling. So I guess please go ahead and have a good laugh on our behalf. I for one am relieved obviously.

Don 't worry. I have heard many people say "People never look up" when looking at homes. So you've got a lot of company it seems. I always happen to look up but I guess some others don't.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:13 AM

10,664 posts, read 3,378,543 times
Quote:
I also made sure the piano would be covered in our homeowner's insurance policy even if it's in the basement. I'm going to triple check that.

Make sure you also add water/sewer coverage to your home owners insurance. This is optional coverage and if your sump pump goes out and you get water in the basement this is the only way it will damage will be covered by your policy! The amount you'll need depends on how much "stuff" you have in the basement, plus the cost of carpet/flooring, lower half of drywall and installation. The piano probably needs to be covered separately on a personal article floater.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:22 AM

4,515 posts, read 3,810,578 times
Quote:

Not a laugh -- maybe a smile. :-) It happens . . . glad you avoided a long, drawn-out argument!

Old 01-24-2017, 02:58 PM

50 posts, read 287,635 times
Default For your piano...

I've battled New Jersey basement humidity for years and spent a lot of money trying different dehumidifiers. This is what solved it for me. They're much more expensive than something from Sears etc. but cheap compared to a piano!

Plugs into regular electrical outlet and just put the drain into your sump so you never have to empty a tray or anything.

https://www.aprilaire.com/whole-hous...er/model-1850f

A battery backup sump pump placed on top of your regular pump is also relatively cheap peace of mind.

Good luck with everything.

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

2,165 posts, read 822,521 times
Quote:
We just closed on our first home last week. We're having work done and will be moving in a couple of weeks. We were down there today and turned on the heat. The house warmed up nicely. Went to the basement which was really cold. We looked around for vents and didn't see any. We left and then asked our realtor. She said it was in the seller's disclosure that the basement was heated. I looked at the photos and see a stand alone kind of electric furnace. about 2'long x 1' high. I didn't see that when we were there so maybe it's there or maybe they took it.

Whichever is the case, is that considered a heated basement? I thought a heated basement meant that it was heated in a way a house would be heated.

And now what can we do? Just eat it and pay for ducts or whatever? We bought this house a lot because my husband can have his grand piano down there so stable heat is very important.

Thanks!
It is not a heated basement. This is a blatant lie by the seller and the RE agent. You can sue.
Everyone is going to tell you "Buyer beware" but if you were lied to, that is illegal and you cannot be held responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or