Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:30 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

"Selling a house due to separation/divorce - how does that work?"
Usually quite well for the buyer. Especially if the buyer knows about the situation.
I write from personal experience as a buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 01:20 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Lawyer up. Quite likely marital debts will be paid off from proceeds of home sale. Selling a home due to divorce is such a personal issue and it takes an agent somewhat experienced working with divorces. The worse thing the couple could do is hire a friend of one or the other, thinking they will save money or get a deal. No one wants multiple moves, but the sooner your friend understands chances are slim to go from marital home to the next long-term home, the less disappointment they will experience.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:28 PM

39 posts, read 30,062 times
Ugh, I'm going through this and it sucks.

My ex bought a new house. I can't afford to stay in the one we have. We are putting it on the market soon but not sure what I'll do if it sells and I don't have another place. It's too expensive to move twice (rental and then purchase another home.) And I'd never, ever ask a friend to put me and my kids up. Hope it works out for yours.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:42 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
I've been there, when I made about $50K and my spouse nothing. I was a decent human being and let him live in the guest room for 6 months until he could afford an apartment. Otherwise, he would have had to move in with family.

I also bought a house with someone I wasn't married to (mistake). When we decided our relationship was over, we didn't have enough equity to sell the house. We found renters, rented it out, and we both moved to apartments we could afford. We made a written, signed, notarized agreement that he would kept the house, all rental proceeds and all costs associated with it. I had issues with my taxes for not reporting the income, but I provided the agreement to the IRS along with his SSN and they cleared the issue. He sold the house for a profit after many years, and I let him keep all the profit, but did have to sign closing documents. This created more issues with my taxes, but they were easily cleared up when he provided his tax returns showing he claimed all the income/profit.

It's easy if both people are adults and not emotional.

Last edited by dmarie123; 01-20-2017 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 08:39 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I've been there, when I made about $50K and my spouse nothing. I was a decent human being and let him live in the guest room for 6 months until he could afford an apartment. Otherwise, he would have had to move in with family.
You were fortunate. These situations can get toxic (dangerous) very quickly. Not everyone is an A-hole, but you are in the minority of those that can tolerate tight quarters and a separation in place. Gemmom24, if there is any temper or heated exchanges, move in with friends or family. Swallow your pride, we all must accept help from others at some point. It is hard right now because you are still processing things.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:44 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmom24 View Post
Ugh, I'm going through this and it sucks.

My ex bought a new house. I can't afford to stay in the one we have. We are putting it on the market soon but not sure what I'll do if it sells and I don't have another place. It's too expensive to move twice (rental and then purchase another home.) And I'd never, ever ask a friend to put me and my kids up. Hope it works out for yours.
It's not unusual for the current homeowner to ask for a rentback upon sale of the house. The house sells, you stay there paying rent to the new owners until your new home closes.

RE agents deal with this stuff all the time. They should be able to make it work.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:21 AM

39 posts, read 30,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
You were fortunate. These situations can get toxic (dangerous) very quickly. Not everyone is an A-hole, but you are in the minority of those that can tolerate tight quarters and a separation in place. Gemmom24, if there is any temper or heated exchanges, move in with friends or family. Swallow your pride, we all must accept help from others at some point. It is hard right now because you are still processing things.
Unfortunately, I'm over 1,000 miles away from family and have no friends with enough room for my kids and I. My ex would try to take our son if I did that anyway, saying I don't have a suitable or stable living situation for him. I think I'll be ok somehow or other. Thank you though.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:21 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:

This ^^^.

Or you can spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars going through the court, in which case "neither party is going to be happy with the outcome".

Addressing the specific question, the parties agree to an asset split.....cars, houses, jewelry, life insurance cash values, pensions, furniture, etc, and debt...mortgage, CC's, car loans and any other obligations. Adults can do this quite easily and will only have to have an attorney sign it and a judge approve it.

The easiest plan with the house is that the woman stays in the marital home and pays the mortgage. She gets credit for the additional equity she has accumulated with her payments when the house is finally sold. Man finds an apartment and pays the rent. If the woman can't afford the payments, the man makes them and HE gets the equity credit. Easy stuff.

These things can be done quite simply, without emotion. Or you can fight over every dish, car, dog, and lawnmower and spend years and a fortune ending up right where you would have been if you had just been adults and more or less split things down the middle.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:51 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:

I also bought a house with someone I wasn't married to (mistake). When we decided our relationship was over, we didn't have enough equity to sell the house. We found renters, rented it out, and we both moved to apartments we could afford. We made a written, signed, notarized agreement that he would kept the house, all rental proceeds and all costs associated with it. I had issues with my taxes for not reporting the income, but I provided the agreement to the IRS along with his SSN and they cleared the issue. He sold the house for a profit after many years, and I let him keep all the profit, but did have to sign closing documents. This created more issues with my taxes, but they were easily cleared up when he provided his tax returns showing he claimed all the income/profit.

( 2nd paragraph)........." I also bought a house with someone I wasn't married to ( mistake )

Thanks for posting that.
Perhaps other posters can read that and take heed.

Seems there is another thread going on right now where the OP is trying to untangle the mess.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 AM

68 posts, read 90,086 times
Hi Girl,
I have read your post. In my opinion, you should talk with a real estate professional to solve this problem.
Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate