Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:29 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times

Advertisements

I looked at a "unique" mountain cabin once.

The only entrance into the main living area was through the kitchen. Now the kitchen was stunning, in my opinion. All 1950s replica cabinets and appliances in red with shiny metal counters. Off the right side of the kitchen was a huge full bath. Straight through the kitchen was the living room. It looked out on a deck that looked over the mountains for miles. No way on or off the deck, though, other than through the house. There was a stairway in the living room, with no banister, that led to a loft bedroom (located over the kitchen). As I was pondering the fact that if you had to use the bathroom at night, you'd have to make it down a pretty dangerous stairway to get to the bathroom when I opened the closet. There sat a commode. No sink, no counters, no bathtub. Just a toilet under the hangers in the closet. On top of the commode issue, I wondered what you would do if the house caught fire when there was only one door to the outside. The drop off from the deck was a the minimum 30 feet since the cabin had been built into the side of the mountain.

That was probably the oddest part, but then there was more to this "unique" home. If you walked back out the kitchen door to the outside, there was a door to the left. Through that door was a big bedroom. No bathroom, just the bedroom. So you'd have to go outside and back through the kitchen to the only bathroom on that level.

There were more rooms in the lower level, but we didn't tour them, so I can only hope there was a bathroom down there for anyone who might be sleeping down there to use.

The owners had both passed away and their son was showing us the house (we were renting a vacation rental a few doors down). He said he and his sister were going to put it on the market for $1 million. I have no idea if they did and if they did, if they sold it for that much. It was on 10 acres and did have a magnificent view! It wasn't worth anywhere near that to me, but it might have been to someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 10:51 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times
I remember back in the mid 70's when we were transferred from Missouri to Georgia by my Dad's company. They were tickled to death to have someone in the Southeast.... My poor Mid-west born and raised Mom couldn't understand 1/2 of what the realtor said because of his accent (it was thick) and he told us that we were safe with him - he'd helped the Sheriffs department apprehend an escapee just the other day. He showed my dad his rifle and pistol that he always carried with him in his LEMON YELLOW LINCOLN CONTINENTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
one of the houses - which might have been the one had a different color of walls and carpet in EVERY ROOM... Looking down the hall at the 4 bedrooms and Hall bath made you dizzy!!! I remember getting nauseous and I was 14?!?! Another house had a 'pet steer" that lived in the FRONT YARD!!! not a rural area - He liked it if you rolled a log for him and he'd roll it back with his horns. The realtor thought that would be fun for me...

Old 01-31-2017, 11:40 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Maybe not 100% on topic but funny to me...

Saw a place a while back that was a foreclosure (friend was looking at houses and I tagged along).

Anyway, we're in the house and then there are 3 dogs on the back steps barking at us.
I look out and see them scoot under the chain link fence to the neighbors yard which was a complete mess of grass, childrens toys etc. their front yard had other toys and trash lying around on it as well.

Yeah, that place is sooooo not going to sell...reminded me of the movie a Christmas Story and the Bumpkis's dogs that ate their Turkey.

They'd also installed new windows recently and painted half of them shut...lol.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:12 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Sometimes the decor makes you wonder...

I don't know where to begin with this one. The kitchen, the rustic living room that looks out of place, the stairs painted different colors (background in picture 11), the creepy doll in picture 16, the valance all the way around the bedroom in 15, the beach (picture 18).
5603 Newberry Rd, Durand, MI 48429 - realtor.com®

I sort of like this house and you can't beat the price. Although I would never want to live in such a cold climate.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:42 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
That reminds me of going to see a house and not bothering to go in. I went to see a home in an area with well and septic and when we get there I see huge barrels collecting rain water so they must have not been using the well so we left.
What? We have city water, and have rain barrels for our gardens. Why not take advantage of the water?

Old 02-01-2017, 08:46 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
I saw one small renovated home, the nice thing was that it had a small built in pool, the bad thing was that it had no washer and dryer hookup. I think there may have been a water connection outside for the washer and one to the bedrooms has a 220 plug, so maybe that was for the dryer but I didn't see a vent hole. It also had a one car garage. The crazy thing was that next door was an old abandoned house with the porch door missing so it looked like people had broken in. I don't get why people would put money into a home is a not great area with an abandoned squatter looking home next door.
Things change. Neighborhoods change.

When we bought our house, the one next door was maintained, neat and clean. We've spent 6 years working on updates to our home. In the meantime, the owner next door died and her loser son has moved in. Trash everywhere, dogs crapping all over the yard, broken windows.

On the other side is a rental that was in really bad shape when we moved in. The landlord has completely renovated it, and it looks really cute. New tenants moved in, and they plant flowers and keep the place cleaned up.

Neither of these scenarios will stop us from updating our own house. PS, we also "only" have a 1 car garage, which is common in the neighborhood we live in.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:08 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Things change. Neighborhoods change.

When we bought our house, the one next door was maintained, neat and clean. We've spent 6 years working on updates to our home. In the meantime, the owner next door died and her loser son has moved in. Trash everywhere, dogs crapping all over the yard, broken windows.

On the other side is a rental that was in really bad shape when we moved in. The landlord has completely renovated it, and it looks really cute. New tenants moved in, and they plant flowers and keep the place cleaned up.

Neither of these scenarios will stop us from updating our own house. PS, we also "only" have a 1 car garage, which is common in the neighborhood we live in.
The point is a flipper decided to renovate a home next to a condemned home. Updating your own home is one thing which is fine, but investing and throwing money at a problem is not smart.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:48 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Change has to start somewhere. Someone takes a chance on a neighborhood which leads to someone else doing the same. People living in the neighborhood take notice and don't feel so beaten down and start taking care of their own property. Soon you have a thriving again neighborhood.

Yeah, dream world but does happen.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:57 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We saw about a dozen brick, shoebox ranches that hadn't been updated since they were built in the 60s and 70s. Imagine my despair, by about day 3 of looking for something livable in my price range, not seeing anything.

We changed towns, and found something on day 4.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:08 PM

162 posts, read 199,016 times
Quote:
I'd love to see pics because that sounds impossible as far as a love seat not fitting in a living room. I guess you mean the bed didn't fit because of the shelf because twin beds are only a little over 3 feet x 6 feet.
Oh I lived in an apartment in Seattle that was so small that when you opened the refrigerator it hit the bed. It was a studio obviously, but TINY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate