Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:28 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times

Advertisements

The game plan is to buy the new house this spring, and then sell the old house about a year from now.

The good news is this gives us plenty of time to paint, fix up things, etc. However, we're wondering if it's too soon to get started?

For example, how soon is too soon to add a fresh coat of paint? I'd guess we should wait to paint the "major" rooms until after furniture is moved, but does it hurt to start repainting some of the "minor" rooms such as a basement bathroom?

How about minor things like adding new pulls to the cabinets, new light switches, etc. OK to do that now or should we wait?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:40 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Huh? Why are you waiting so long to sell the current house?

Old 02-13-2017, 04:52 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
What do you get out of waiting? Are you planning to ruin the walls in the meantime?

Old 02-13-2017, 05:38 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Barring kids' fingerprints, a heavy smoker in the house or just messy habits, paint now. You get to enjoy it & paint doesn't fade. Same goes for other items to change out.
What are you worried about?

Old 02-13-2017, 06:01 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Better now than waiting. Paint easily stays looking fresh a year unless things scuff it up. I have the most problems if I smush a fly and it leaves a mark. I am trying to color match some of my walls and am having a really hard time. The tone I got is a shade darker and it's looking kind of blotchy, at least it did last time I tried and gave up. I just started again today, if it doesn't dry to a nice flat coat I think I'm going to have to paint it all white.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:09 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
You can start painting now. Keep a sample sized jar of paint you use for each room/rooms and label it. Then you will be able to do touch up when it is time to get it ready for selling.

I would actually use a canning jar and transfer enough paint to fill then seal it tight. It should keep like that until you are ready to use it, if needed.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:11 PM

33 posts, read 27,834 times
I would paint the rooms with low traffic first and move to the higher traffic rooms. There really is no need to wait!

Old 02-13-2017, 09:50 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
Exactly what others have said. I'd even empty out rooms to de-clutter and as a rehearsal for what gets moved and what just goes. You never get to know your belongs so well as when you have to pick up each one and figure out where to put it.

For storing touch up paint - I love a product called Dipsy Dabber. It's about the size of a mason jar with a built in brush and it makes touch ups pretty slick. Dipsy Dabber | Paint Storage and Touchup Solution Then you can pitch the paint mess (used drop cloths, grungy brushes, partial cans, etc) before the bustle of moving.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Huh? Why are you waiting so long to sell the current house?
Dueling opportunities. After we decided to retire and move to Williamsburg, I signed up for a really cool program that requires me to be in residence by summer 2017. Fantastic way to kick off retirement. But after signing all the papers for it, my husband's employers asked if he could extend his retirement until spring 2018 to handle a situation. Also a good opportunity, and might even be wrapped up by November.

So, the good news is this upcoming year will be very exciting for both of us. The bad news is for a short time we need to have two households in two cities. We explored different ways to handle this, but after looking at the realities involved in getting a short term apartment rental in either of the cities we finally decided the best move was simply to own two houses for awhile. Although there's a possibility my husband might be able to house sit for a friend next fall, and if that happens (and if we know for sure when the job is wrapping up so we can make that commitment) we'll go ahead and put the house up for sale and he'll move into the friend's place.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Exactly what others have said. I'd even empty out rooms to de-clutter and as a rehearsal for what gets moved and what just goes. You never get to know your belongs so well as when you have to pick up each one and figure out where to put it.

For storing touch up paint - I love a product called Dipsy Dabber. It's about the size of a mason jar with a built in brush and it makes touch ups pretty slick. Dipsy Dabber | Paint Storage and Touchup Solution Then you can pitch the paint mess (used drop cloths, grungy brushes, partial cans, etc) before the bustle of moving.
Thanks for the great suggestion (and to the other posters who had similar suggestions). Great to hear we can get started on a lot of the projects. I'm not sure what I was worried about, just thought maybe homes sell these days only if they appear "almost virgin" or something like that. The HGTV effect, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate