Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:53 AM

162 posts, read 209,212 times

Advertisements

Do I have an obligation to an agent whose MLS property listings I'm receiving?

I have seen two different properties in the last year with two different agents. In both cases, I found a house that I wanted to see and contacted an agent that I knew peripherally and they agreed to show me the property. I'm not moving forward on either house. (Obviously, if I had decided to purchase, I would have used whichever agent had shown me the property). Now I think I want to interview a few more agents and get a couple more CMAs before choosing an agent to list my own home with, because I'm not sure that either of these agents would do a good job selling my house. Is this okay? I have been receiving e-mails from one of these agent's MLS property search. Should I discontinue these e-mails if I'm not sure I want this agent to sell my current home? Do I have to wait X amount of time before I can contact a different agent? I feel like I'm cheating on her...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 09:08 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquecartas View Post
Do I have a (legal) obligation to an agent whose MLS property listings I'm receiving?
Have you signed anything giving them any rights to represent?

Quote:
...I think I want to interview a few more agents ... before choosing an agent to list my own home with
... Is this okay?
More than okay. It's wise.

Most agents work in, focus on, relatively limited areas.
Work with the "best" option available to you in each (buy vs sell) area.

How you might define "best" (once past the obvious basics)...
is largely subjective.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 AM

I have not signed anything, unless I agreed to someone's terms of service when I signed up for the MLS listing.

I like one of these agents to buy with but I'm not sure I want to sell with her. But since I'm buying and selling in the same city, I've been told that the same agent should work both sides.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:47 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Interview away.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:28 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
The agents who have worked for you in the past would definitely appreciate the opportunity to have your listing, and your future home sale. Interview them, and a few others, if you wish.

BTW... you're under no real obligation to use one agent for both your buying and selling. In fact, sometimes each interest might compete for an agent's time and loyalty when each transaction deserves it's own representation. I have worked in situations were I had the listing but someone else was working the purchase. What is important in those situations if you do that, is that the agents are willing to cooperate, and share information and dates to help you smoothly move from one closing to the next.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:54 AM

19 posts, read 21,275 times
ubiquecartas, please describe "the MLS listing" you refer to in this statement: "I have not signed anything, unless I agreed to someone's terms of service when I signed up for the MLS listing."
The reason I ask is that this could refer to you simply signing up to receive active listings, or it might refer to you signing a form to get your home listed on the MLS. Two very different actions, with the 2nd one obligating you to an agent.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpaulson View Post
ubiquecartas, please describe "the MLS listing" you refer to in this statement: "I have not signed anything, unless I agreed to someone's terms of service when I signed up for the MLS listing."
The reason I ask is that this could refer to you simply signing up to receive active listings, or it might refer to you signing a form to get your home listed on the MLS. Two very different actions, with the 2nd one obligating you to an agent.
I'm just getting e-mails of new houses on the market that meet my search criteria. I definitely did not agree to list my house on the MLS!

Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 AM

268 posts, read 357,377 times
It's quite heartbreaking when you find out the client who you are serving to sell their home, chooses to use another realtor for their house buying needs

I suppose as long as you're upfront then there shouldn't be a problem. I know that anytime i list someone's home, my next question is "Are you looking to purchase another house?" and proceed to try and help them with that as well.

No, you are not obligated to any particular realtor for just seeing homes or receiving their MLS search results (sorta). I think i remember hearing about a case or two of "representation by default", but that usually requires lots of time spent with a realtor seeing homes, back and forth emails, etc.

Please remember to consider that for many realtors, this is how we support our families. SHowing homes, rescheduling to help a client (potential client), etc etc shouldn't be taken lightly and is precisely why i always get a Representation Agreement signed before i commit to any potential client.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dihappy View Post
It's quite heartbreaking when you find out the client who you are serving to sell their home, chooses to use another realtor for their house buying needs
Heartbreaking? Really?

Old 02-17-2017, 03:10 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquecartas View Post
Heartbreaking? Really?
Yes.
There is even a song about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achy_Breaky_Heart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate