Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 05:37 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times

Advertisements

This is how realtors make a living, so you should choose ONE to work with and that's it. Agents only make money off of a sale of a home, so if a realtor brings you to a home and you end up buying it they will get part of the commission for bringing the buyer and so will the listing agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 12:19 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
This is how realtors make a living, so you should choose ONE to work with and that's it. Agents only make money off of a sale of a home, so if a realtor brings you to a home and you end up buying it they will get part of the commission for bringing the buyer and so will the listing agent.
For what it's worth, the realtor didn't show me the house I ended up buying. Houses here are snapped up very quickly. So every property you saw last week or even a couple of days ago is sold/pending, unless there is something seriously wrong with it.

The house I made an offer on was new on the market. As I said earlier, the realtor who became irate and I hadn't even spoken for almost two months. The agent who showed me the house wrote up the offer.

I had no idea that looking for houses with different realtors in different time periods was not OK. I'd typically look for a couple of months with one agent, give up in despair at what I was seeing, not look at all for a couple of months or longer, and then start looking again with a different realtor or sometimes the same one.

I wish that I had understood the actual rule better, instead of having a vague understanding of how I thought it worked.

Supposing that you do want to switch agents because it's not really working out (the search is frustrating and you're not finding anything you want). Do you have to tell the agent you're switching?

Old 02-23-2017, 12:30 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
For what it's worth, the realtor didn't show me the house I ended up buying. Houses here are snapped up very quickly. So every property you saw last week or even a couple of days ago is sold/pending, unless there is something seriously wrong with it.

The house I made an offer on was new on the market. As I said earlier, the realtor who became irate and I hadn't even spoken for almost two months. The agent who showed me the house wrote up the offer.

I had no idea that looking for houses with different realtors in different time periods was not OK. I'd typically look for a couple of months with one agent, give up in despair at what I was seeing, not look at all for a couple of months or longer, and then start looking again with a different realtor or sometimes the same one.

I wish that I had understood the actual rule better, instead of having a vague understanding of how I thought it worked.

Supposing that you do want to switch agents because it's not really working out (the search is frustrating and you're not finding anything you want). Do you have to tell the agent you're switching?
If you have engaged an agent formally, and want to part company, well, yes. You have to tell them.
Every one of my buyers agency agreements comes off my template with the following in it:
"Either party may terminate this transaction at any time prior to location of a suitable property."
I would tell you to sign an agreement, but never without that or similar provision.

I infer that to mean, "Before I get you under contract." But, I think I need to have it looked at by an attorney so I am actually providing the consumer the protections I intend.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:30 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
You didn't sign any agency contract, there is no RULE... Just the general societal rules guiding our good manners, and fair dealings with people.

She had the "right" to be disappointed... in her own followup, in her own relationship-building with you, wherever this all fell apart for her. As a professional, she should not have been irate with you. From what you have said... it seems she didn't follow up as she should have. This happens.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I've bought and sold several times in several decades. For us it has been crucial to find a trustworthy and easy to work with realtor. My advice is to interview several and then stick with that person. Our best experiences were with people we trusted and liked working with. The person you work with should be pleasant and motivated to show you what you are interested in seeing.

However you can do your part by doing research online and indicating which homes seem right, or that you want to see.

Choose someone who is experienced in your area. Choose a full time realtor who makes his/her living being a realtor. Don't be afraid to look at a lot of homes. You learn a lot when you do so, even if you end up looking at some duds. Every showing is a learning experience. Seeing different homes helps you understand whether your wants are reasonable at your price point, or if what you want is even available.

At our last sale we found out that our buyers had been looking with one realtor for over a year for the house they wanted, and it turned out our house was that house.

A realtor can also help you with strategy and with how much to offer as well.

I think the three most important factors are trustworthiness of the realtor, his or her motivation and his or her resourcefulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate