Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:57 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Then you run the risk of having the home trashed and now you own it!
Liability is an issue. It could become a nightmare issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 05:19 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, if the price is really right, it may not be unreasonable for the OP to absorb the foundation repairs.
This is where the listing agent says, "Lemme see your appraisal."
"Oh... The house is going off $25000 under appraisal? That foundation looks pretty dang good to me..."
Why would you ever show the listing agent the appraisal if it's not in your advantage to do so?

Old 03-01-2017, 05:55 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Why would you ever show the listing agent the appraisal if it's not in your advantage to do so?
If I am the listing agent, I might tell my client to request the appraisal in light of a significant repair or price reduction demand.
The request: "My Buyer wants $xxxx or XXX repaired at sellers' expense."
The possible reply: "Sure. Let me see the appraisal." Unspoken: "Or, go pound sand."

Brinksmanship....

Old 03-01-2017, 06:50 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If I am the listing agent, I might tell my client to request the appraisal in light of a significant repair or price reduction demand.
The request: "My Buyer wants $xxxx or XXX repaired at sellers' expense."
The possible reply: "Sure. Let me see the appraisal." Unspoken: "Or, go pound sand."

Brinksmanship....
In a seller's market that might fly....

Old 03-01-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
In a seller's market that might fly....
One must always have awareness of current local market dynamics, as well as transactional dynamics.

We have a great many sellers markets.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:28 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
First off, if this home is now in foreclosure then the owner will not have much say anymore. The bank needs to accept your offer and it needs to be what they want.

Second, $13k below appraisal is NOT that much! If I knew it was about to be in foreclosure I would want it cheaper.

Third, I would not mess with any foundation issues! I also would not let the seller have it fixed. You need to know it will be done correctly. I would try to get someone out there today to find out what the cost of all that would be and ask for a seller credit (not a reduction in price) and have it fixed yourself. You want the cash in escrow for repairs. If the seller lowers the price of the home that doesn't give you cash to fix it! You would then have to get a HELC to get the money out of the home and that's just more work for you to deal with!

My personal opinion is walk away. Too many issues here. Be patient and find a better home for your family AND find a new realtor!!

Last edited by CGab; 03-02-2017 at 07:38 AM..

Old 03-02-2017, 08:32 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Second, $13k below appraisal is NOT that much! If I knew it was about to be in foreclosure I would want it cheaper.
Based on what information? I did not see how much the home is worth. What percentage of the total cost of the home are we talking?

$50,000 home with a $13,000 drop in price is a big deal.

$500,000 home with a $13,000 drop in price is nice

$1,500,000 home with a $13,000 drop in price is not too big of deal.

Before we determine if this is a lot or a little I would want to see the price of the home.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,083 times
As a single mother with kids life could be stressful, busy and expensive enough to deal with structural engineer, various contractors, etc. As a new homeowner you could clean, paint, make/ buy curtains, plant landscape, etc.
I would walk away- there will be another dream home for you with its own sets of problems- maybe ugly carpet or too dark paint requiring 3 coats of paint to cover- those u could deal with yourself eventually.
Maybe it is a way fate letting you know that it is not meant to be. House is a liability mostly even in the best of circumstances- and a luxury if you can afford it long term. Insurance. Repairs. Energy costs. You do not even making comments like "It is my dream house because it is in the best school district with the lowest property taxes in the state and costs only $20 a month for utilities"
Everything happening during process of buying" freaks you out"- your words.
Things are not going get better once you close on the house-bad as well good things continue to happen
At this point A determined future homeowner would be on HVAC forum researching how efficient and reliable mechanical systems in the home are and when upgrades might be needed and their costs
Something tells me you are not ready for homeownership

It maybe less expensive and simpler to rent in your area than to own. Even if it is not- house is a commitment- maybe wait
Keep looking!

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-02-2017 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 03-02-2017, 10:05 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Based on what information? I did not see how much the home is worth. What percentage of the total cost of the home are we talking?

$50,000 home with a $13,000 drop in price is a big deal.

$500,000 home with a $13,000 drop in price is nice

$1,500,000 home with a $13,000 drop in price is not too big of deal.

Before we determine if this is a lot or a little I would want to see the price of the home.
True, but it really doesn't matter at this point! I would walk regardless due to possible foundation problems!

Old 03-02-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
True, but it really doesn't matter at this point! I would walk regardless due to possible foundation problems!
That may well be an expensive and unnecessary overreaction.
There is nothing really very interesting in the photos, IMO.
Heck, the broken block in one photo well may have been that way since the house was built. It is not uncommon for the builder to damage stuff that continues to serve its purpose for a long time.

A structural engineer can help make an informed decision, and may save the OP from needlessly wasting her due diligence expenses. She isn't so flush with cash to dump a thousand or two cavalierly without being informed about condition of the property.
I see it all the time, where buyers panic over little or nothing, and lose funds on a couple of houses without ever buying. It is always the ones who can least afford knee-jerk decisions, it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate