Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:42 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,154 times

Advertisements

I don't care if someone parks in front of my house as long as they don't damage my plants or my grass. However, when I was in graduate school I had a neighbor who got enraged if anyone parked in front of his house. His solution was to break a bunch of glass on the street in a way that forced anyone parking there to drive and possibly walk through it.

He wasn't the most sane of neighbors, though. One of my friends took a late night 3 AM walk and caught a glimpse of him dumping grocery bags full of glass on the street in his birthday suit. He also used to rig up car batteries so that they would shock anyone that touched one of his junked up cars. He pretty much lived on his front porch and the neighborhood kids were terrified of him, so there was very little crime on our block. I stop by to say hello to him from time to time and every single time, like clockwork, he asks me within 2 minutes of the start of our conversation if I can give him a ride to a gas station to buy cigarettes. Every single time he also spends the entire car ride telling me the same story, using the same exact words, about how he beat up a man who tried to sexually assault him in prison.

I guess what I am trying to say to the OP is that possibly his reaction to the parking situation is a much bigger indicator of a mental issue than the 'rudeness' shown by a neighbor that prefers not to bother turning his car around when he gets home from work. Well adjusted people don't throw a fit worrying about where and why people park on a public street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 08:38 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
While I understand that it's a public street and people are allowed to park where they want, I will never understand a thought process that seems to be something like "Hmm, I don't like the idea of having to look at my car parked in front of my house all the time. It looks better when there isn't a car parked there. I know, I'll park it in front of my neighbor's house instead!"

However, when it happens to me, I generally leave it alone - except when people at my old place used to park in front of my driveway. One time, I happened to pull up just as someone was getting out of the car and told them they needed to move their car. Their response was "oh, I'm not going to be here that long." Apparently, I was supposed to just wait for however long it was before being able to pull into my own garage.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Good point from Chemistry_Guy.

I had a neighbor who would get upset when someone parked in her parking space in front of her house. She was very nice otherwise and active and helpful in the community.

Without any restrictions, parking is then a matter of etiquette and thoughtfulness and neighborliness.

Tontess, if the guy isn't scary, go to his house and tell him he's been here a year now and you've noticed he still parks in front of your house and all the neighbors parking their cars in front of their homes and he probably doesn't know that and you just want to let him know.

THEN if he doesn't oblige, it will be more of a statement.

You don't mention actually if you have a car. Only that trash can.

Does this neighbor always then have no cars in front of his house or does he park in front of your house to make room for friends and family cars?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I don't care if someone parks in front of my house as long as they don't damage my plants or my grass. However, when I was in graduate school I had a neighbor who got enraged if anyone parked in front of his house. His solution was to break a bunch of glass on the street in a way that forced anyone parking there to drive and possibly walk through it.

He wasn't the most sane of neighbors, though. One of my friends took a late night 3 AM walk and caught a glimpse of him dumping grocery bags full of glass on the street in his birthday suit. He also used to rig up car batteries so that they would shock anyone that touched one of his junked up cars. He pretty much lived on his front porch and the neighborhood kids were terrified of him, so there was very little crime on our block. I stop by to say hello to him from time to time and every single time, like clockwork, he asks me within 2 minutes of the start of our conversation if I can give him a ride to a gas station to buy cigarettes. Every single time he also spends the entire car ride telling me the same story, using the same exact words, about how he beat up a man who tried to sexually assault him in prison.

I guess what I am trying to say to the OP is that possibly his reaction to the parking situation is a much bigger indicator of a mental issue than the 'rudeness' shown by a neighbor that prefers not to bother turning his car around when he gets home from work. Well adjusted people don't throw a fit worrying about where and why people park on a public street.
I have a neighbor who was having a garage sale one Saturday. I left the house early in the morning to go to the farmers' market, and when I drove home I found him directing his customers to park in my yard. I'm not saying he told them to park in the street with a couple of tires resting in my yard. I'm saying he directed them to park their entire cars in my yard. I stopped the next car trying to do this, and went over and told him that whoever was parked there should move immediately, as I was calling a tow truck company. "What's the big deal?" he said.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:51 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
It could be as simple as that when he leaves in the morning, he goes a certain direction and when he gets home, he comes from the other direction, so he is parking on the correct side of the street for the direction he is driving, so he doesn't have to flip a U-turn every morning and evening to park on his side.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:13 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I have a neighbor who was having a garage sale one Saturday. I left the house early in the morning to go to the farmers' market, and when I drove home I found him directing his customers to park in my yard. I'm not saying he told them to park in the street with a couple of tires resting in my yard. I'm saying he directed them to park their entire cars in my yard. I stopped the next car trying to do this, and went over and told him that whoever was parked there should move immediately, as I was calling a tow truck company. "What's the big deal?" he said.
We had similar but it was on our lawn. The neighbor's family members or friends just assumed they could park on our lawn. They tried this a few times. Fully on the lawn. I went out one time with trash can, rake and messy yard clothes as they were getting out of vehicles dressed up. I was actually shocked and had my mouth open for a second. They looked like they had a right. I told them it was my yard...nicely since they were not the actual owners. Some were sort of mad and some were sorry and said as much.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:18 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Buy a car from the junk yard. The most hideous thing you can find. Then make it even more hideous. Maybe paint something on it that he wouldn't like looking at. Then park it in front of his house permanently.

Or you can go try talking to him.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
We had similar but it was on our lawn. The neighbor's family members or friends just assumed they could park on our lawn. They tried this a few times. Fully on the lawn. I went out one time with trash can, rake and messy yard clothes as they were getting out of vehicles dressed up. I was actually shocked and had my mouth open for a second. They looked like they had a right. I told them it was my yard...nicely since they were not the actual owners. Some were sort of mad and some were sorry and said as much.
This was my lawn, my flowerbeds, my driveway, the whole shebang. The street is narrow, and he lives on a corner, the other street is quite busy, so he just directed them to park in the neighbor's yards. I'm afraid I didn't ask nicely. I was quite shocked, and upset. I put grass seed down every year, I have extensive flowerbeds, mature trees, etc.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
It actually is not your obligation.
Well unless the parking offender is still living with his momma there probably isn't another person to educate this person to neighborhood etiquette. Maybe they were born an orphan but you would still think they'd be aware to basic civil behavior.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:03 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Well unless the parking offender is still living with his momma there probably isn't another person to educate this person to neighborhood etiquette. Maybe they were born an orphan but you would still think they'd be aware to basic civil behavior.
Again, why is this even your job?

Was he breaking the law? If not who are you to go around "educating" people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate