Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 05:47 PM

127 posts, read 146,213 times

Advertisements

Posted about a month ago about agents not keeping appointments. Had something completely bizarre happen to me today.

The house is under my dad's name but I'm living with my dad to help keep expenses down. As a result my number is also on the listing. Neither of us received a call today about a showing of the house. Tomorrow yes but not today.

Our real estate agent apparently said the house would be empty today to another company so they could come over and look. My dad left to go do things for the weekend so I'm alone. I looked out the balcony door and surprise! There's a stranger on the balcony.

I nearly called security and the police on him. There are firearms on the property kept in a safe and he's heck a lucky I didn't go for those instead. He introduces himself as a realtor from another company and told me that our agent said the house would be empty today.

Keep in mind that neither my dad or me got a voicemail or message from our agent about this. Nor did we agree to leave for the day.

Almost had a heart attack because of what happened and my hands are shaking so bad. I'm not normally this jittery but the area has had a lot of robberies recently so everyone in the community is a bit on edge.

I hate to think of what would have happened if I had had a firearm with me.

Unannounced and no call by either agent. I put the blame squarely on our agent but at the same time most of the agents have called ahead even if they are coming by in thirty minutes. I don't mind the thirty minutes advanced notice because I at least know that they are coming.

What would you have done in this situation?

Edit: my father just got back to me and said our agent never talked to anyone about coming today and will look into it.

Guess I will be carrying a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 05:54 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
Happens all the time unfortunately, agents just dropping in. I assume it's not a combo lockbox, as the agent wouldn't have the combo if he didnt actually talk with your agent. Have your agent put a combo on there and just take the keys out when you're home/not wanting anyone in there.

When you leave for the day (and are okay with people coming to view it) just put the key in the box.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:56 PM

127 posts, read 146,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Happens all the time unfortunately, agents just dropping in. I assume it's not a combo lockbox, as the agent wouldn't have the combo if he didnt actually talk with your agent. Have your agent put a combo on there and just take the keys out when you're home/not wanting anyone in there.

When you leave for the day (and are okay with people coming to view it) just put the key in the box.
KWW.

Hmmmm.... The agent came from a company that begins with the initials KW.....

Old 03-04-2017, 07:05 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
If the house is for sale people will be showing up all the time announced or unannounced. Shooting at them will land you in jail.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:08 PM

378 posts, read 586,463 times
I lock the glass (storm) door when I don't want to be bothered. That key isn't in the lock box.

Alternatively you could put a sign on the front door near the lock box. I'm not gonna tell you what to write though.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:13 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryDriver123 View Post
Guess I will be carrying a firearm.
Yeah . . . that sounds like a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post

Excellent suggestion to solve the problem (impressive that you managed to solve it without involving a deadly weapon ). If they can't get in then they won't be able to get access when you're home.

Just make sure your agent uses a decent lock box. The push button type are easy to break in to. The Master Lock brand boxes tend to be more solid.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:37 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
This, unfortunately, comes with the territory when you are selling and have a lock box.

The listing agent for the home I'm purchasing mixed things up with the sellers. We had an appointment for 6:00 pm on Monday and someone else had one at 5:00 pm on Tuesday. The sellers were told 5:00 pm on Monday and 6:00 pm on Tuesday. We just walked into their house on Monday at 6:00 pm and scared them to death. I felt so guilty!!! My agent was able to convince them to stay. (I'm sure it helped that my parents know the sellers.) We went through the house quickly. I already knew I was going to make an offer, I just needed my agent's guidance on value.

Being inconvenienced, and surprised, happens when selling your home. Suck it up for a little while and it will be over.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:54 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
If your house is listed for sale, people stop by.... with and without real estate agents. Yes, agents should read the instructions, and can actually suffer fines for not following those instructions, but people make mistakes, and lookie loos who read zillow don't read the instructions at all... they just stop by and look in the windows.

As everyone else said.... learn to expect surprise and inconvenience, and DO NOT shoot people, or threaten people, who are looking at your house, or you will end up in prison. I say this as a realtor who fully supports the right to defend yourself. If you have your house listed for sale, people are likely to come and look at it. Looking at your house in this situation does not constitute a deadly threat.

Please THINK.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:11 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryDriver123 View Post
KWW.

Hmmmm.... The agent came from a company that begins with the initials KW.....
wasnt me I promise, I dont work for them

Old 03-05-2017, 06:19 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
I am thinking that maybe the house needs to be taken off the market if your response to a RE agent showing up unexpectedly is to arm yourself...

It's rude, yes, but not a shooting offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate