Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:37 PM

628 posts, read 839,641 times

Advertisements

Dont do it unless its HOA owned and your required to join the HOA to live in the house or the HOA is free of charge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 02:37 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Yes, I prefer to know what's nearby. Stating a park 3 miles away would matter to me. I'm not buying a house so much as a lifestyle. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to pictures of houses anyway, although no pictures is a huge red flag to me. Mostly, I use pictures to narrow down my search. in other words, if a house is in my targeted location, I look at pictures for a reason to not visit. A nearby park wouldn't be that reason.

Locally, everyone here states what's nearby and some listings do have pictures of nearby shopping. Traffic in my area is awful. My neighborhood happens to be an incredibly easy drive to a very popular shopping/movie/medical complex. That's always highlighted in listings for my current neighborhood.

Hoa homes always include pictures of the amenities.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:33 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I can't stand that because it clearly means that the house isn't worthwhile on its own.

Also, wouldn't someone who is interested in your house already have a general idea about the area s/he wants to move to???

Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I was wondering what's allowed in real estate listings, if properly disclosed.

Can I include pictures of a park that's 3 miles away? What about cool businesses/restaurants (or if I could, do I need their permission?)

Just want to highlight hidden gems that others may not know about.
Our MLS does it all the time. I don't agree with the practice. It makes it look like the house can't stand on its own merit. I have noticed it is done mostly for homes that have one or two pictures of the exterior and none of the interior Usually these homes are in foreclosure.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:50 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
You can always mention the great area parks and town etc and direct people to google walk certain areas.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:45 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,841 times
as someone who is looking for a house i think this is not needed.

for every house that is something i might be interested in i google map the location and check out everything that is aroudn the area. you are just wasting photo slots and space you could spend talking about the place you are selling

if its an hoa community with a park i think that is ok though since it is a part of what you are paying for.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:59 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Photos of local amenities are very common where I live. It might be because so many buyers come from out of state, are buying in a relative hurry, and don't always know what sets different communities apart.

One solution I've seen is to create collage photos. This way you can show many local sites without all one slide. Usually the listings have two of these, one for HOA amenities and one for local parks, etc. They usually have 2-3 photos in the collage along with comments ("HOA includes Olympic pool, gym, playgrounds, walking trails") Regarding local parks, I would only include things a mile or two away--3 miles is pushing it.

Absolutely include photos of every bedroom and bathroom. If you don't show a room, many people will assume something's wrong with that room. And people from out of town want to see as much of a house as possible, because they will have to make an expensive trip to look at homes so they want to know as much as they can before they make travel plans. If people find it boring they can always stop looking at the photos.

I also appreciate people who take photos of "minor areas" such as stairs, hallways, etc. Those things can be deal breakers for some buyers (those with disabilities, for example). These can also be put in a photo collage if you are close to the limit on photos. I appreciate 2 shots of the backyard (one showing the back of the house, please) and a shot of the garage showing how much storage is available. Take a shot of a bathroom using the mirror, and buyers can see the whole bathroom. By all means post as many photos as your MLS allows. (If no limits, 30 is a good number).

Don't waste space on artsy shots, or shots of things that don't convey (furniture, your pets, toys, street sign, etc. The photo may be adorable but if it doesn't convey I don't care). I'm not a fan of close-ups (I can see there is mosaic tile in the shower from the wide shot, you don;t need to show me the close up).

Old 03-08-2017, 09:23 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Photos of local amenities are very common where I live. It might be because so many buyers come from out of state, are buying in a relative hurry, and don't always know what sets different communities apart.

One solution I've seen is to create collage photos.
Great ideas, thanks!

There's a lot about my existing location that I don't know about that I thought would be cool to share to potential buyers. When you're buying a house, you're not just buying a building, but also into its surrounding neighborhood. For smaller cities especially, they may have neat parks, but a lot of people may not know about them.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:53 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I would take as many pictures of your home (inside and out as possible). What I don't care about as a buyer is a picture of the stove unless it's extremely high end or pics of the hot water heater. If they are new, mention it but don't show it. You also need to make sure your home is clean when you take the pics. Nothing on the counters-nothing! Nothing on the floors such as toys. Nothing on the dressers or on the counters in the bathroom. Nothing urks me more that when people leave crap all over the counters, etc. It makes me feel like they really don't care to sell. #1 thing is to make sure the pictures are GOOD! Hate when a realtor posts pictures are too dark to see or blurry! If the realtor doesn't know how to take good pics then make them have someone else take them!!

As far as pictures of the town. I might ass one pic of a park if it's within a half mile and REALLY nice. Pics of a community pool or clubhouse if you have one, otherwise forget it! You could mention in the listing nearby stores if you would like but no pics!

Old 03-09-2017, 10:36 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I would take as many pictures of your home (inside and out as possible). What I don't care about as a buyer is a picture of the stove unless it's extremely high end or pics of the hot water heater. If they are new, mention it but don't show it. You also need to make sure your home is clean when you take the pics. Nothing on the counters-nothing! Nothing on the floors such as toys. Nothing on the dressers or on the counters in the bathroom. Nothing urks me more that when people leave crap all over the counters, etc. It makes me feel like they really don't care to sell. #1 thing is to make sure the pictures are GOOD! Hate when a realtor posts pictures are too dark to see or blurry! If the realtor doesn't know how to take good pics then make them have someone else take them!!
Or the furnace, air conditioner, ect... I do not care, lol!! A picture won't show me the things I care about- function and age.

Things need to be decluttered, but a coffee maker on the kitchen counter isn't going to drive me crazy. I'm sure it'd be super annoying to store it every day. I can look past that. But stuff lined up down to whole counter? Nope. Get rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate