Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I need to go get some of that stuff...for the fridge and granite..wonder what else it works on?
I don't know but I'm not very happy with my current brand of hairspray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
I can't wait for vintage 70s laminate countertops and avocado green appliances to be worth more than the dated granite and stainless steel everybody keeps complaining about.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I don't know but I'm not very happy with my current brand of hairspray

Ha Ha! Maybe as a mousse?

Old 03-06-2008, 12:23 AM

101 posts, read 137,427 times
'Granite will be popular in upper end homes for along time.'

Exactly on UPPER END homes. The problem is everyone and their mother starting installing them on their mid to lower end crap shacks. You dont put imported silk on a pig! Just an indicator how homeowners got caught up with pushing for 'only the best for me' while they charged it on the HELOC. hahahaha

Old 03-06-2008, 12:50 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I replaced laminate counters with $800 granite counter tops in a bunch of rentals and it was very well received...

So far, so good... no more burnt laminate to deal with

Old 03-06-2008, 03:49 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
I love granite but in some foreclosed or short sale cheaper homes which had granite it didn't make much sense to me although I liked it. The kitchen cabinets look awful. White laminate (bad cheap appliance), and dirty and than they have granite can you imagine about the bacteria in there.....? The combination is so far off. I saw it in a couple of Lennar homes. To me nicer cabinets are more important than the nicer countertop with awful cabinets.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I am very careful about cleaning my granite...i wipe it down all the time, maybe I should be using something special to kill the germs, though..I don't cut meat or chicken, or anything on it, always use a cutting board. I use the lysol kitchen cleaner to wipe it just because it smells good..and I hope it cleans, too. Any one else have a good thing they use?
Don't waste your money on those expensive granite cleaners. Most of them are mainly denatured alchohol. I reseal my counters every 6-8 months and went to the local big box store and bought a gallon jug of alchohol to wipe them down with before applying the sealant. For day to day I just clean them with a soapy sponge and if they're real yukky I use a little bit of bleach in water or white vinegar. Also, try to avoid cutting on your granite. Not because you'll damage it, you won't, it just that it's hell on your knives and will dull and chip them.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:04 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvazjr View Post
'Granite will be popular in upper end homes for along time.'

Exactly on UPPER END homes. The problem is everyone and their mother starting installing them on their mid to lower end crap shacks. You dont put imported silk on a pig! Just an indicator how homeowners got caught up with pushing for 'only the best for me' while they charged it on the HELOC. hahahaha
Along this note, people need to remember they don't have to choose a granite from a giant slab at an expensive stone yard. If someone is remodeling a smaller, older home and wants to install granite, they should ALWAYS look for remnants - especially if remodeling a bathroom (generally a much smaller counter space than a kitchen). You can practically steal these pieces.

It isn't confined to upper-end homes. My parents live in a modest neighborhood of late-50s, early-60s homes and many of their long-time neighbors have installed granite. Of course it's more expensive than formica, but not much different cost-wise than a manufactured composite. Two of their neighbors used left-over pieces from previous projects and saved a ton.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I can't wait for vintage 70s laminate countertops and avocado green appliances to be worth more than the dated granite and stainless steel everybody keeps complaining about.
You actually think this is nicer looking than granite?

Laminate Kitchen Countertops

High quality materials that maintain their beauty don't look dated. Laminate countertops are ugly the second you install them. I was so thrilled to move out of my apartment and into my house and plan never to have formica again.

Granite is not the only acceptable countertop, but it is very lovely. Corian beats formica but is still fairly tacky looking. Quartz is not bad.

My friend loves sealed concrete.

http://www.purecontemporary.com/images/mv_17362.jpg

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You actually think this is nicer looking than granite?

Laminate Kitchen Countertops

High quality materials that maintain their beauty don't look dated. Laminate countertops are ugly the second you install them. I was so thrilled to move out of my apartment and into my house and plan never to have formica again.

Granite is not the only acceptable countertop, but it is very lovely. Corian beats formica but is still fairly tacky looking. Quartz is not bad.

My friend loves sealed concrete.

http://www.purecontemporary.com/images/mv_17362.jpg
People said the same thing about terrazo floors that you say about granite.

Laminate done right is not ugly the second you install them. I don't think it would have been used in millions of homes if it was. Also if you want to use a bad picture of a laminate counter you should put it next to a bad picture on a granite counter.
GRANITE
LAMINATE

Not much difference in these pics

Granite may be the in thing now but it will lose it's appeal just like everything else does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate