Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:21 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,662,523 times

Advertisements

Doesn't matter if you are on a slab -- your home can still have radon. I've seen slab homes with radon at 6 and 7.

Radon Awareness.org

Just because your buyers are cash-poor doesn't mean they don't deserve the opportunity to inspect the house thoroughly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,312,131 times
We had that happen to us. It was due to a corporate move. The agency handling the sale was a national company, and radon test was just part of their checklist for everywhere. The tech that checked our house (built on sandy soil on the coast) said that he has not yet found significant levels of radon around where I lived, but he gets paid to check, not to guess. And no place is 100% safe due to the variability of building materials used in the house's construction. Think crushed granite gravel.

After talking to him, we ordered radon test for our next house that we wanted to buy in the city we transferred to, and it turned out to have a very high level although it had no basement.
The Federal government's tables showed an 15% chance of us getting lung cancer in that house. We were in the due diligence period and canceled the contract.
Even Florida has places with excessive radon - here's the numbers for Orange county (Orlando, Disney World, Universal Studios)

We will always order the test. It's cheap insurance against one source of early death. Perhaps your buyers have knowledge of a similar experience.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:30 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Doesn't matter if you are on a slab -- your home can still have radon. I've seen slab homes with radon at 6 and 7.

Radon Awareness.org

Just because your buyers are cash-poor doesn't mean they don't deserve the opportunity to inspect the house thoroughly.
I respectfully thumb up this post. Maybe they have kids or others to care about.? I would radon test for a measly 200-300 bucks too. its something that pertains to health, theres no better investment. Better safe than sorry!

Old 03-17-2017, 05:22 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I just need to get this off my chest…..I have to say I'm NOT happy.
1) We're not really in a radon zone.
2) The house doesn't even HAVE a basement…and the buyers are doing a radon test.

I'confident it will come out fine. But I AM a little perturbed.

…AND they only put 1K in earnest money down….AND they need 3% closing help.

BUT they love the house -- and I do want to sell….so I'm holding my tongue…..
Didnt you approve them doing this? So whats your beef? If you didnt like that, you could have asked for more. You're the seller, its up to you to accept their terms or not.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:10 AM

233 posts, read 318,006 times
It also may be possible they come from an area which Radon is/was a problem and they are just doing what they are used too.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:26 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,731,192 times
Quote:
2) The house doesn't even HAVE a basement…and the buyers are doing a radon test.

1. You could still have radon even on a slab!

2. You could have asked for more earnest money. That's your fault they only gave you $1k.

3. Not everyone needs closing help that asks for it. It's becoming more and more popular as a way to get more money off the home.

These are all things YOU as the seller could have said no to. Not sure why you're bitchin?

Old 03-17-2017, 07:48 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,654 times
Quote:

No idea what you are complaining about. Radon testing is searching for a possible health risk to the people buying the home. Why wouldn't you want them to feel safe in purchasing your home?

If you didn't like the deposit or terms of the agreement, you should have countered with an offer you are happy with. Don't allow your realtor to push you to accept things so they can get their commission check quicker.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:30 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
Quote:

3% closing costs and $1000 earnest money are pretty much the standard here. It is fairly uncommon to see a contract, other than high end homes, that don't include those terms.

And radon is the new mold. Until this year, it was almost unheard of for anyone to have a radon test on houses that don't have a basement in this area. But this last year, we've had several of them and more and more clients are asking about them. And there really is no part of the country that doesn't have some radon. Some just have more than others. You also don't know their history, maybe they've had a family member die of radon exposure, so are hyper aware of it. Maybe they've had a problem in a prior house that they had to have remediated.

I assume that your contract has a due diligence period, where the buyers can have inspections done. That doesn't have to be just the hired inspector. They can get in the crawl space themselves and look around, they can do a water quality test, they can do a mold inspection, a termite inspection, a lead based paint test, etc. Whatever verifications they choose to do during the due diligence period.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:43 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
http://www.city-data.com/radon-zones/index.html All of Iowa and North Dakota is zone 1, highest, all of Louisiana is Zone 3, lowest
I live is a zone 1 area which is low and there are no zone 1 areas in Florida http://www.city-data.com/radon-zones...a/Florida.html

Old 03-17-2017, 08:47 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
Thanks all….

I know I accepted the contract -- because their loan is all set to go and other than the closing cost request and inspections it actually has no contingencies. My realtor and her broker said that's a pretty "clean" offer.

Cgab -- to answer your question: I'm "bit chin'" because:
-- its one other thing to deal with and I wanted to vent…so I did (if that's OK with you)
-- Even though we got two offers in less than a week -- I had hoped for more offers (but this one was the better of two, and I want to sell so I took it based on what my realtor and her broker said above
-- they want to close by the of the month (so I will have listed and sold in less than a month)

So, yes while there are some positives for me, I still wanted more and better (like no or less closing costs requested) ….so flog me for wanting more…..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate