Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Furnished and Staged, or Vacant?
I am a consumer, and I prefer to see furnished and staged homes. 34 19.32%
I am a consumer, and I prefer vacant homes. 81 46.02%
I am a consumer, and I don't really care 53 30.11%
I am an agent, and homes should be furnished and staged for market. 1 0.57%
I am an agent, and prefer vacant homes. 3 1.70%
I am an agent, and I don't really care. 4 2.27%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:20 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times

Advertisements

I say vacant, because furnishings have different scale and can be used to purposefully distort spatial relations in a structure by camouflaging structural flaws.

I think most people also prefer to imagine how THEIR furnishings or possible future furnishings for their anticipated lifestyle will fit into a blank space. It is the clean palette effect i.e. more possibilities versus a staged setting which is one fixed option / idea of another person usually gifted in camouflaging flaws and playing up features like a make up artist.

A human analogy on attraction: staging a home for sale is the equivalent of the woman who gets all gussied up and coiffed for optimal visual appeal but you can not get a good sense of her default personality as it's all a show when she is in her 'set' persona. One gets a better sense and 'feel' of a woman in one of her natural default settings / environments and then find out / examine her spatial comportment / deportment.

I 2nd Lovehound's suggestion for floor plan with accurate measurements as a definite want. A suggestion: depending on the local county, you can often figure it out on many fiscal officer / appraisal / real property sites if they have a schematic. But it is rudimentary with only exterior dimensions. I also recommend Google earth 'satellite view' and using the ruler tool and taking exterior measure on single family homes as long as there are no trees or overhead visual impairments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 09:16 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
The last house we bought we had to sign a waiver before they'd let us in to look at it. They claimed it was a tear down, but they don't know diddly, IMHO. In any case, if you're buying a house what does it matter what someone else's furnishings look like?

I've been helping a friend look at houses and she can't get past the color of the paint or an outdated fixture so she's gonna end up paying a premium for a lack of vision, the way I figure it.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:02 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I don't really care. If staged or furnished, however, it has to be clear and neat enough that I can get a true sense of the size of the space(s).

Old 03-30-2017, 12:08 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,022 times
Staged sells a home. Realtors want to come to see what tips they can gain and that brings in more buyers. Our last house was staged and it was worth every penny. Lots more foot traffic and great compliments. Even better the staging company had fortune cookies or some such with their staging name (advertising) and if you bought the house they'd add in the coffee maker they had there on the counter. It was a win-win.

They also highlighted things about the neighborhood, things to do, make a bullet point list and had that sitting out at the entry. The garage was also a high point because men like their tool area . .. And garages are the main entry point of a home. Stuff we as sellers didn't think about the staging company brought up. All in all our house sold 2 months after using their services. .. This after six months with another realtor.

Lesson learned.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I prefer furnished mostly because I am horrible at figuring out, just by looking, if my furniture will fit in a space or if a room is really big enough to accommodate my needs.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:09 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Houses that are furnished minimally are my preference. A simple sofa, dining table, well dressed beds, appropriate art--all provide some grounding to the rooms and floor plan. Whether these are objects belonging to the owner or a staging company makes no difference. On the other hand, I have seen some homes where there is so much furniture and decor that it is difficult to see into or through the room. This is particularly true of homes owned by my age group, seniors, who seem to have inherited furniture from both sets of their parents and added it to their own. It is overwhelming. So, I would say there is a sweet spot. Otherwise it is better to empty the whole place.

Oh, and let me make a comment about distorted (usually wide angle) photography. It can make everything look totally off kilter, with or without furnishings. If one decides to look at the house, the dimensions are nothing like the online photos captured. Very confusing. So, the comments about providing a floor plan are excellent. Put it in the photos! Every potential buyer will appreciate it.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The last house we bought we had to sign a waiver before they'd let us in to look at it. They claimed it was a tear down, but they don't know diddly, IMHO. In any case, if you're buying a house what does it matter what someone else's furnishings look like?

I've been helping a friend look at houses and she can't get past the color of the paint or an outdated fixture so she's gonna end up paying a premium for a lack of vision, the way I figure it.
That is bad, alright. Those things can always be changed. Other things cannot, or are very expensive to change. Location, location, location.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:32 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
I prefer staged homes if decorated minimally, i.e. no personal stuff. My stuff doesn't have to fit, and often it doesn't if you change geographic locations, but I do like to see how others decorated, placed furniture. Vacant homes, however, do show flaws more easily to the buyer so as a seller I would want to stage it.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:43 PM

565 posts, read 722,391 times
Staged, for sure! Every time we house hunt, the nicely staged houses go fastest and for the highest prices. key word: Nicely staged. Ugly furniture and furnishings hurt the overall perception. Fresh/modern furniture helps the overall perception and cover a multitude of sins. Like who notices the slightly scratched hardwoods when the furniture is amazing? No one.

When I sold my last house, the realtor wanted me to empty the house. I refused. We went round and round on it, but some of the spaces were odd and I think a lot of people would feel the rooms were small if they couldn't see how furniture worked in the room. It sold in one week, multiple offers, for over asking.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:42 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I believe it. For several years now there has been a column in our Sunday paper's real estate section about home buying and selling. The writer, who is a local agent, yaps yaps yaps about cleaning, decluttering, and staging. It's an obsession with her. (For example, one entire column detailed how to give throw pillows a "karate chop" so potential buyers will get that warm fuzzy feeling.) I get a kick out of turning to that page every week and reading the column just to say, Yep, she's going on about decluttering and staging, again!

But in our area, any home at a reasonable price is snapped up as soon as it hits the market, sometimes before. I see this in my neighborhood over and over again. Staging doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. The only reason I can see for this agent to make such a fuss about it is that she's getting extra money for her staging services and needs to convince everyone that it's necessary.

Edited to add--I found the article I mentioned, it's good for a laugh: Using Pillows to Stage Your House to Sell in Mission Viejo )

What a weirdo article. What do pillows have to do with Mission Viejo? I lived there for 10 years and even back in the 80's, our starter home sold in one week to the first person who looked at it. Our furniture was in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate