Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:58 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

I have found a house, at long last. Right price, albeit at the top of my range considering the changes to make. Great location, great neighborhood.

Now that I know they are going to accept my offer, I am scared. Is this the right one? The living area is too small. Too many rooms for the square footage (hence the small living area and kitchen). Still, the LR is adequate, if only on the small side. And a lovely, quality home well-maintained. Great yard. Fully fenced.

Called and got homeowner's ins quote - it was less than I thought, so fine.

Why am I so scared? Does everyone go through this?

(It doesn't help that my father is sad I'm not moving to his city...I couldn't find anything there after looking off and on for months. The housing market there is horrible...ugly houses in my price range, flooding everywhere, hurricane zone, not many areas that are nice that are not high crime and don't flood. So I feel guilt...he wants me to continue looking.)

Is this the one? It's a little too large for me, but I have to buy from what's available. I can't wait for "perfect." It's been almost a year that I've been looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 03:40 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Everyone is different. My husband and I weren't scared- just relieved when we finally found our house. We had criteria that we wanted to meet and out of everything we saw, this fit the bill the best.

I temporarily started having buyers remorse a few days before closing when a house I had been eyeing up for ages (foreclosure) finally came on the market. Thankfully my realtor looked at it and set my mind at ease- beautiful house in a beautiful neighborhood but trashed beyond comprehension inside (bathrooms, etc, torn out entirely).

Once we closed on this house and I started getting repairs done and painting etc, I was beyond pleased that this was our choice.

DH has since had buyers remorse, but I think that's more his state of mind than actual logical reasons.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:25 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,623 times
I think a bit of buyer's remorse is normal, especially when it's not 100% what you were hoping for. No house is going to be perfect.

I kind of look at it the same way I look at relationships. Is this house worse than no house? If so, then cancel your offer. If not, sure a better house might come along someday, but that house won't be perfect either. If you're sitting there thinking a perfect house is going to come along and that's why you're unhappy with this one, you're kidding yourself. That perfect house only exists in your head.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:59 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
I knew in the doorway of my first house that it was the one. Never had a hesitation.

Current house (second) isn't really the one. It was a good buy, but left some boxes unchecked. I know I made a smart decision, which was ultimately my goal. I purposely kept a very low budget (house is only 112% of my annual income). I knew I'd sacrifice. I moved in less than 2 weeks ago, so maybe I will feel better about it. I think part of my reason is that it doesn't feel like mine. I'm trying to do this frugally, so I'm staring at some ugly curtains as I type. There is a lot of the sellers style left behind.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 PM

162 posts, read 199,135 times
I won't be house hunting for a few more months, but I'm sure I'll feel the same way. I might have to stretch my imagination a bit if a nicer house comes along to find things wrong with it. I am fairly confident though as long as ther house I choose is in a decent location etc that I'll be okay with it.
Any big decision makes you question choices. When i knew my husband was going to propose I asked myself "Do you love him?" I did very much. "Do you ever want to date again?" Uhhh, no, I had zero interest in dating...plus he is AWESOME. We've been married 11 years.
As long as a house meets my basic requirements and has just ONE item on my wish list I will be happy. I think even if I built a custom house I'd still see pictures in magazines or on TV and think "Oh no, we should have built THAT into our house!"
If it meets the basics and you can afford it, buy it. You can adjust how it looks and feels and turn it into a home you will love.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:53 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Thank you, everyone, for your opinions. It may be partly that I've been looking for so long that I'm used to seeing something and then moving on because it's not right for me. So when I saw this one, I knew it was a great area, great neighborhood, pretty house, large yard, whirlpool tub. It hit my BIG buttons, but not everything of course.

I expect I'm feeling sad at not moving to be near my dad, since that's what he wanted. But to get a nice house there, those houses are more than I can afford. So that's part of it, I'm sure.

This house is good, though. It's the proverbial smallest house in a neighborhood of more expensive, large houses. Every single other house is pricier and larger. That's why the area is so nice. Don't know how this smaller one got built. I guess it was a custom build and it met the min. square footage requirements.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your opinions. So interesting to know how different people felt about their home purchases.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:49 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Sip some wine...or a favorite drink. you did well in acquiring something that hit your Big checkmarks of wants/needs.

Yes Buyers remorse can happen.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:54 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I knew my current place (first purchase) was the one as soon as I stepped through the door. It was move-in ready (newly remodeled kitchen and bathroom, recently refinished walls, wood floors, spacious overall, etc.), which was a big must for me as I didn't have large sums of money to spend on getting the place up to my liking, and in a prime area. Before seeing this place, I had taken a look at probably 8-10 other properties, all of which needed serious work or had other problems with them.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:46 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Thank you, everyone, for your opinions. It may be partly that I've been looking for so long that I'm used to seeing something and then moving on because it's not right for me. So when I saw this one, I knew it was a great area, great neighborhood, pretty house, large yard, whirlpool tub. It hit my BIG buttons, but not everything of course.

I expect I'm feeling sad at not moving to be near my dad, since that's what he wanted. But to get a nice house there, those houses are more than I can afford. So that's part of it, I'm sure.

This house is good, though. It's the proverbial smallest house in a neighborhood of more expensive, large houses. Every single other house is pricier and larger. That's why the area is so nice. Don't know how this smaller one got built. I guess it was a custom build and it met the min. square footage requirements.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your opinions. So interesting to know how different people felt about their home purchases.
Well, then, that's good! If you had done the opposite, THEN you might be entitled to buyer's remorse. You know how on House Hunters, they never find a house that hits all the check-boxes? Perfectly normal. Don't let Dad guilt you!

Old 04-05-2017, 05:59 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Our current house isn't "THE" house, but it met all of our requirements and got us into the area we wanted to live (and out of the area we wanted to leave). Like the house you have your offer in on, it was the smallest house in the neighborhood, other than one other small house. My husband and father were pushing me to put an offer in on another house. With that house, I had a knot in my stomach when I even considered buying it. When I finally told my agent to go ahead and put an offer in on this house, that knot was gone and I felt at peace with my decision.

Will we stay here forever? That's not the plan. But this is a great stopping place on our way to our forever home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate