U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:29 PM

3,716 posts, read 6,956,967 times

Advertisements

I think it's great you went ahead and did it. Buying just a lot and one that you can very definitely use in your current situation makes a lot of sense. Definitely a better proposition than buying an occuped home.

We had a somewhat similar situation in our subdivision where a lot turned out to be about 75% unbuildable due to high voltage lines and their easements. The guy who lived next to the lot bought it from the developer for a song and built a nice detached garage on the part that could be built on. Definitely a win-win for everyone.

Many years ago I lived in Lawrence, KS and some student from the University of Kansas bought a property parcel at a tax sale which was then in the middle of the Kansas River, due to the channel shifting due to floods. The kid even knew at the time it ws in the middle of the river. "I just thought it would be neat to own property."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 PM

1,130 posts, read 637,263 times
There is the remains of an old basment there. Due to slope, one side is at grade. The block walls are falling in and there's nothing remaining of the flat roof that was on it. I'm describing from decades old memory from before the brush overgrew it. There might be a chance that it could be made into storage space. There used to be a cesspool for waste disposal. There is city water available now. If the health department would grandfather the use of that old cesspool, perhaps a home could be built there. Won't be by me.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:20 PM

It has been a month since the lawyer cashed my check. I have not had any communication from them. Should I be worried? What is my recourse if he's just not doing the damn job?

Old 05-20-2017, 01:45 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,284,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
It has been a month since the lawyer cashed my check. I have not had any communication from them. Should I be worried? What is my recourse if he's just not doing the damn job?
Why don't you simply call him and ask how it is all going? He's already got your money, so don't be shy, now you need to make sure he follows through and you get your monies worth.

There could be any number of legit reasons why you haven't heard anything.

Just call him instead of worrying, or working up bad scenarios in your head.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:50 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,286,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
having dabbled in tax lien sales i can tell you i would never do it again .

the pitfalls you only find out afterwards can be a horror .

we didn't really expect to get the property . we really were doing it for the 18% interest . the owners always come up with the money at the last minute .

well this time they didn't . so with the people still living in the house we had to start the eviction process .

so now we are in to this for 2 years back taxes at 12k a year , and now legal fees .

they used every tactic to stall the court so they were finally evicted almost one year later and 3 years taxes

but now they left their stuff behind . it was basically junk but nj law says we have to store it for months and if not claimed and paid for it is ours .

so now a moving company moved everything out to storage . now we had storage fees for 6 months and moving expenses .

at the end of the time frame we had to pay again to have the stuff removed .

while the house was empty , we can't prove it but we are pretty sure the ex owners went back inside and vandalized the house ripping out all plumbing and wiring .

basically the house was trashed . my partner luckily was a builder so we ended up gutting it and starting over inside .

by the time we sold it the money we made and the aggravation was hardly worth it .

i would never get involved with these tax liens ever again .

It doesn't sound at all like the OP's lot he bought.
His description sounds like where I live now.
Lots are a " dime a dozen" and the county is just hoping they can get someone to buy so thdey can collect future taxes.

Past taxes ?............if they tried to collect back taxes on those " dime a dozen" lots the cost of the lot would easily exceed the value of the lot.

(and the odds of an owner redeeming a " dime a dozen" lot are about 1 in 10,000 )

Old 05-21-2017, 12:56 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,286,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
They said not. Only tax that would come due in the current year must be paid, or should be paid, if one expect to receive a tax deed at the end of the process. I don't have to pay past tax and penalties. The county has given up on past tax in hopes of collecting future tax. These properties have failed to sell at multiple past tax sales. As I understand it.

.........."These properties have failed to sell at multiple past tax sales "......

Sounds like the hundreds upon hundreds of wooded lots for sale near me.

There is a reason they have not sold in past sales.
NO DEMAND !

You have a use for that lot and thus you were the only person interested in it.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:40 PM

Finally got the lawyer on the phone. He says he's working on it.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 AM

715 posts, read 439,865 times
Since this was just an empty lot, hiring a lawyer was prolly 'overkill' (no current tennants to evict and no improvements to foreclose on, etc).
Prolly would have been a simple manner of waiting till redemption period is over ( you mentioned 120 days), then simply file file a quiet title ; costs almost nothing...

There is really NOTHING for the lawyer to do till the 120 days is up.

If the lot has been abandoned my prev owner (most likely, since taxes not paid), just wait the 120 days and do NOT do anything to the lot (DONT start cleaning it up, etc - in case owner or heir 'go to take a look', they may change their mind and redeem).

If you are just going to keep this for 'larger lot size', and don't plan to build on it, then there is no need to try to rush thru any paperwork/deeds, etc. hang tite for 120 days

congrad's on getting some 'elbow room' for cheap!

Last edited by oldoak2000; 05-24-2017 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 02:20 PM

Someone appears to have made a partial payment on the current, not due yet, tax. Saw it on the Countys tax web page.
Informed lawyer. He didn't think that tax payment was a problem. Lawyer says we've already had our court appearance to petition the court for title and are just waiting for the judge to sign the papers. We've done more than all the required notices.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:47 PM

Just a little update. It's all done. The lot is mine. And now another lot had been given to me which completes a 4 lot almost 1.5 acre rectangle with frontage on 2 streets. Don't really have any plans for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or