Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 PM

930 posts, read 2,422,504 times

Advertisements

We need to start a new thread titled "My house is worth what???" and ask people who were on that show to post their stories. Example...."this stupid realtor told me my house was worth 950 so we maxed out the equity for our wedding (man did we top the Joneses!!!) and later short sold our house for 425". THANKS MY HOUSE IS WORTH WHAT!!!

Then when they write in about their stories we can abuse them a little bit before we sympathize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 01:56 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,290 times
The best thing that could happen to HGTV is for it to go off the air.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
We need to start a new thread titled "My house is worth what???" and ask people who were on that show to post their stories. Example...."this stupid realtor told me my house was worth 950 so we maxed out the equity for our wedding (man did we top the Joneses!!!) and later short sold our house for 425". THANKS MY HOUSE IS WORTH WHAT!!!

Then when they write in about their stories we can abuse them a little bit before we sympathize.
now THIS I would watch AND read. top the joneses! That's hilarious!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:18 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
The best thing that could happen to HGTV is for it to go off the air.
you might be right LB. i do enjoy some of their programs but i think they're starting to brainwash people. oh and the other night while watching designed to sell (or whatever it's called - the one where they have $2000 to fix whatever problems the house has and then the magic fairies come and buy the property for $30,000 more because they put up cheap butt cabinets and added some flowers outside) and seriously i believe they had a home on that was listed for $1,000,000. Low and behold after the couple spent their $2,000 they had multiple offers on the property!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:52 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,270,725 times
How do I get those HGTV people to come to my house?? I could use an extra $30,000. Heck, I would be happy to SELL. I always enjoyed HGTV, when they first came on the air I loved the landscaping shows, Shari and Matt, and a couple others I can't think of..now all of it is Buy Me, What is my house worth, designed to sell, blah blah blah.

Personal feeling is they are not helping any of us sell.

To top it off, the house hubby and I had our eye on IF we sold this had an offer so that is kaput. Crap. Not a good day...

Old 03-07-2008, 03:50 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,177 times
It's funny. I alway enjoyed HGTV. My favorite is House Hunters. That is until I put my own house for sale. Now I want to vomit at Sell My House, Designed to Sell, etc, etc. They make it sound like it is so easy to do all of this work...I have no idea where you are supposed to find the time and the cash....and miraculously your house will sell for more than you can imagine. And what's worse is that buyers watch those shows too. So God forbid your house is not "staged" or painted their favorite colors, you can just watch those buyers say "bye, bye" and not "buy, buy!" (I have to admit, I still watch House Hunters, though.)

Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,324 times
I really like the [pretend] Open Houses on those HGTV shows. In the real world it's not uncommon to hold an Open House and have nobody show up, let alone actually sell the house at one! (which was a rarity even in the hot market of 04 & 05). I've also seen some absolutely horrible paint choices and "improvements" made on some of the shows. I watch and think, "yeah, right - the buyers I know would turn around and walk right out".

But, all bashing aside, occasionally there are some really good staging tips and ideas on those shows. It's just that the reality is the house is still going to sit for a while (that is, unless you do like the staging program where she has the homeowner spend a minimum of $2k AND drop the price by $20k - $50k. Yep - that will get it sold!)

Old 03-09-2008, 07:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
I wish someone would investigate how these shows are made and actually show the behind the scenes action. I'd love to see who the "buyers" are and how they are drug in to the supposed open house that they bought. I wonder what incentives HGTV paid to the buyer to make an offer or if the deal was actually ever closed? I'd almost bet that the deal didn't get done but who knows....

Old 03-09-2008, 05:19 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I wish someone would investigate how these shows are made and actually show the behind the scenes action. I'd love to see who the "buyers" are and how they are drug in to the supposed open house that they bought. I wonder what incentives HGTV paid to the buyer to make an offer or if the deal was actually ever closed? I'd almost bet that the deal didn't get done but who knows....
Somebody said on another thread that the potential "buyers" that view the home at the open house are friends of the owners. And that's probably true, 'cause I started paying more attention and the lookers are about the same age, etc as the owners. Some even resemble the owners (siblings, parents, etc)

As to the actual contract - I think some of those shows are a couple years old, so it could have legitimately happened back then. Recently, though, I've noticed that Clive says something like this in the follow-up: "Bill and Jean are really happy with the improvements they've made to their house. Showings have picked up dramatically, and they hope to have an offer any day now."

Old 03-09-2008, 06:06 PM

469 posts, read 1,484,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Nonsense. Who are you? Larry Yun talking to the mortgage industry?

Cumberland, West Virginia w/a population of 45 doesn't count....

Funny you don't mention who's going to erase all that record amounts of inventory around the country. Oh yeah, its all that "pent up demand" that Dick and Larry constantly hang their hat on....News flash, you need to be qualified to buy. Many today are having a difficult time of it.

Just because the major wave of sub-primes will reset by the end of '08 doesn't mean we will be out of the woods in terms of foreclosures.
First of all as far as I am concerned Larry Yun is a nit wit. Your comment as to the end of the sub-prime resets not getting us ,"out of the woods in terms of foreclosures," if you mean that it wont be the end of the abnormally high number of foreclosures you are correct, if you mean that the foreclosure rate will continue to grow or will not recede then you are wrong. The one thing alot of people dont know about the sub-prime ARM's is that they were fixed to the LIBOR(which is much higher now then when most of these loans were orginated) and not to a treasury index or the FFR or Prime rate like most A paper. This means that drops in the Fed Funds Rate has no impact on the sub-prime paper. Some Alt-A ARM's that have recently adjusted have lower interest rates than they did at the teaser rate when they were originated, and many of them are no higher or have adjusted very little. Now with that said we still will see higher than normal foreclosure rates but it wont be as high as it is now and mark my word June will be the worst month for the credit markets since it has more than twice as many resets as any month we have gone through. The inventory will not be run off instantly so when things stabalize R.E. market will be flat for awhile.

Quote:
I can give you some examples from California....
To clarify in as is condition value-means value in the current market for comprible homes minus cost of any needed repairs. I doubt that any of the properties in california are selling for less than 50% of as is market value but, it they are I would like to see examples. Please include part of california because I have a good size chunk of money I need to put somewhere.

Quote:
Labeling people "doom and gloomers" is a classic defense of people who don't have an argument to the data put forth. Its more about being realistic which some people can't or have major difficulty grasping. Hey, I give you credit at least, Dick and Larry think things will notably be better the 2nd half of '08....

Now in response to this statement I "labeled" the poster a doom and gloomer because she presented the term, and things noted in her post, I do not note being nearly as bad as her post sounded to me, when I look at microeconomic data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate