Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:45 PM

72 posts, read 89,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehamill View Post
In most parts of the US, manufactured homes are built BEYOND the codes of "stick built" homes due to the stigma. They are a fraction of the cost for great living (again, manufactured...not modular). For example, a best seller when I was in the business was this 3,000sq ft home

Not bad for under $180K on your lot!

NOTE - I am not in the business of selling manufactured homes. This is not an advertisement or recommendation.
You are confusing manufactured homes with modular homes. There is a world of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 06:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehamill View Post
Do you just make this up as you go? In most states, the code for a manufactured home is stricter than for a site build home. For example, in Florida... A stick built home must withstand 3 second "bursts" of wind. A ON FRAME manufactured (not modular) home must withstand 30 second gusts of wind. How many hurricanes have you been in that have 3 second wind bursts?

As for parks... if you own the land, which is roughly 40% of all communities based on DCA reports, you pay small fees based on the amenities of the community. I worked with one locally that had the HUGE fee of $400 a YEAR! But you can also, like the OP was asking, place it on your own land.

If you have not owned, lived in or worked with manufactured homes since Hurricane Andrew, than you are not aware of what is available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy907 View Post
You are confusing manufactured homes with modular homes. There is a world of difference.
Exactly. Mobile Homes only have to conform to HUD standards which are Federal in nature and lax as hell.
Modular Homes (which are built by the same people that build Mobile Homes btw) have to be built to meet or exceed local building codes which they "generally" exceed.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:14 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
I've never seen a "manufactured" home (trailer) that I would live in. Although construction improvements have been made over the past 20 years, they are still substandard when compared to a "real" house. Most trailers have only 2x2 or 2x3 framing (not 2x4 or 6) and the floors are made of pressboard (compressed saw dust) not OSB or plywood....good luck if the floors ever get wet! The shingles tend to be cheap and because of the low slope roofs (constructed of 2x3 trusses or rafters), they tend to fail much quicker.
Modular homes are just fine!

Old 04-23-2017, 02:39 PM

209 posts, read 169,003 times
Thanks and keep coming with the opinions.
T minus 2 weeks to the closing table. Repairs made. Pending va inspection/ appraisal.
Not worried about the appraisal. The bank who owns it was eager to do our loan. Shouldn't be a big issue

I still love mobile / manufactured homes.
I'm a minimalist at heart. However at this point in my life i enjoy both my fiance and her dads company. So I'm taking the plunge and i am going to see what sharing my whole life with someone is really like.
Like giving over my complete self.
I kinda of like not being a miserable prick, lonely miserable prick.
It's an interesting change of pace.
Money comes money goes.
By having a CDL A license i can go anywhere and i mean anywhere i want to if life goes bad.
Not bad for a $10k investment with 75% paid back

Old 04-23-2017, 03:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I haven't been in that many but the few I have, when it was cold outside, had a tendency to be cold. Especially closets etc. on the outer walls. Are they on metal framing? I don't know but it just seem liked they sucked in cold.
Plus crawl spaces, although nice not to worry about basement flooding, can mean cold floors and rodent entry spots.

Flat roofs tend to leak
I live in a small house, built in 1931. It has a variety of places which leak cold air. One room is large and gets very cold with a wall of windows, so I store things there. The actual living are is about 600 sf. After living here for 8 years, I wouldn't WANT to live in something 'bigger'. That other room will be rendered useable, but it won't make that much difference. The stuff stored will just be easier to get to.

I don't consider this area my absolute last place to live, but should I move, I want much the same, fewer people, slower pace, and another small enough house it hits all the important stuff. But I'd likely do a buy the plan system. I even know which one I'd get.

No way would I want a big enough house where you had more than one generally empty room. I don't need a dining room. That's what the fold up table in the living room is for. A small functional bathroom is all I need, not a spa. I'd have a real small bedroom, space for a queen size against a couple walls and a dresser or two. I'd rather spend money for a good, modern washer than a huge laundry area. My hobbies have migrated to the living room, but I'm going to put some storage room IN the room for the stitching and yarn for the current one. The other unused room is basically sorted storage and cat play area.

My kitchen is large, but seriously badly designed. I'm going to redo it ahd put the now empty area into lots of storage. I enjoy it so its a nice project. But it still won't quite be 'right' and its too much trouble to gut the whole thing. But these houses with these huge kitchens.... how often do they *really* use more than one burner and a few dishes?

If I were to move, and resettle elsewhere, and had the money, I'd buy this one particular house plan I found which is a slight improvement on my house. It would be built with better weatherproofing though. The house would end up being somewhat smaller, but I think everyone should do a real study and keep track of which portions of your abode you actully use and how often and would it be a problem if it wasn't there.

And anyone who 'collects stuff' which landed in a spot should live in smaller rooms since you have to move it and sort it and do something more productive with it than just stacking it in a "put it away later" pile. Or label it the lost and found........ But I find I do sort and move when its out next to me than hidden in an unseen room.

If I wanted something mobile, as a dedicated 'tiny house' tv fan, the thing I'd probaby go for are the renovated busses. They really look neat. You could stick all the basics in and go where you want. One problem would be that since eye surgery which badly messed up distance vision I don't drive. Bummers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate