Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 AM

8,563 posts, read 12,339,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
Btw , GIS mapping is what he is going by and I have just found out that NOTHING is legally binding except a current survey. I have also read about the strict standards surveyors adhere to and i now have complete confidence that muy fence is on my property and that it is he who will be responsible to obtain said current survey. So, i say

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Well, since you gave him your gun, let's hope he plays nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 AM

3,467 posts, read 7,217,362 times
Was the survey registered with the county?

Old 04-17-2017, 08:17 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
Quote:
Here's the tricky part...i don't have the survey, nor can i find the guy that did it. The fence company has since gone out of business.
You paid for a survey, but you don't have a copy? Well....... you could wait till the neighbor goes to get a survey since YOU TECHNICALLY HAVE NO PROOF or you could go pay for another survey now to back up your claims. Without proof you don't have a leg to stand on at this point!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:20 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
Quote:
The fence, trees and building were all in place many years before current neighbor bought his house.
The neighbor, I'll call him Richard, had issues with his other neighbor and actually feared for his safety. Richard and i had become friends and he asked if i had a gun he could borrow. I lent him one (i don't need you to tell me how stupid that was - i had genuine concern for his safety). Anyway, after almost 2 years, i asked for the gun back and he EXPLODED. Seriously, he went nuts, yelling and threatening, it was crazy. The only thing i can figure is there had been a period of about a month that we didn't talk.... nothing wrong, just neither of us had anything to say, i guess. Anyway, i guess he got his feelings hurt. That's all i can come up with
Why didn't you call the police to have your gun returned? I'm assuming you have it registered, correct?

Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 AM

3,605 posts, read 7,887,395 times
Quote:
The fence, trees and building were all in place many years before current neighbor bought his house.
The neighbor, I'll call him Richard, had issues with his other neighbor and actually feared for his safety. Richard and i had become friends and he asked if i had a gun he could borrow. I lent him one (i don't need you to tell me how stupid that was - i had genuine concern for his safety). Anyway, after almost 2 years, i asked for the gun back and he EXPLODED. Seriously, he went nuts, yelling and threatening, it was crazy. The only thing i can figure is there had been a period of about a month that we didn't talk.... nothing wrong, just neither of us had anything to say, i guess. Anyway, i guess he got his feelings hurt. That's all i can come up with
I'm proposing a supplement to Godwin's law.

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that firearms will get into the discussion approaches 1"

You can name it after me.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:12 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,797,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
You paid for a survey, but you don't have a copy? Well....... you could wait till the neighbor goes to get a survey since YOU TECHNICALLY HAVE NO PROOF or you could go pay for another survey now to back up your claims. Without proof you don't have a leg to stand on at this point!
No. Without proof, the neighbor has nothing to stand on.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:49 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No. Without proof, the neighbor has nothing to stand on.
And if the OP had ordered & retained a proper survey he could rest easy and call it a day.
But the OP didn't do that... did he?

What he has is a neighbor who could be proven to be right
and if so will be in a position to cost the OP a whole lot more than just the cost of the survey.
Which btw, he will also have to pay for then.

The $300 or so (maybe even $500) that it costs should have happened a decade ago.
He gets to spend that money now.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:02 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,586,810 times
Quote:
Btw , GIS mapping is what he is going by and I have just found out that NOTHING is legally binding except a current survey. I have also read about the strict standards surveyors adhere to and i now have complete confidence that muy fence is on my property and that it is he who will be responsible to obtain said current survey. So, i say

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
GIS mapping is a handy feature but not always truly accurate. See if the county has your survey copy.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM

11,380 posts, read 24,388,060 times
Yeah, GIS maps can be overlaid over aerial maps and other drawings that can come from any number of sources. They almost never line up accurately.

There may be a survey on file at your county courthouse. Regardless, just let your neighbor pay for one on his property. Till then, ignore him.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:57 PM

45,114 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Yeah, GIS maps can be overlaid over aerial maps and other drawings that can come from any number of sources. They almost never line up accurately.

There may be a survey on file at your county courthouse. Regardless, just let your neighbor pay for one on his property. Till then, ignore him.
I was an early contributor to this thread and pretty much everyone who followed echoed about it being the neighbor's responsibility and filled in what I posted.

But I got to thinking. What if the neighbor is "that guy" who's positive he's right and starts tearing things up? It could get very ugly very quickly without OP having a survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate