Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:31 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
A gun? Whoa. What could possibly go wrong?

As far a you not having a copy of a survey, if it was a legal survey by licensed surveyor then the survey would have been filed at your local court house---after you paid your surveyor's bill. If it was just a fence location staking then there likely was no survey.
Is this property within an incorporated town?
That's not necessarily true. I've had surveys done by licensed surveyors which were never recorded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 PM

167 posts, read 167,952 times
I got my gun back long ago. Hes a old windbag that will do the same thing he did yesterday.... nothing.
I'm not doing ANYTHING unless ordered by a judge. He will have to take me to court before anything else happens and i doubt his wife will give him the money to open that can of worms.
Im gonna start smiling and waving and calling him Ricky... that should get the ol" blood pressure up

Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The problem is that the fence contractor built based on the data the OP provided.
If that data is wrong, or even just unverifiable, the onus stays with the OP to make it right.
There's nothing to make right. If the survey shows the fence is on the neighbor's property, the neighbor can take it down. But he bought the property knowing about the fence, and the OP doesn't owe him anything.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Did your title company or lender not require a survey when you purchased the property? If they did, then go to the title company where you closed (or whoever did the closing) and see if they have a copy. If it was long enough ago it might take them a while to dig it out of the archives, though.
This. If you got a mortgage you got a survey when you bought the house. Your neighbor most likely has a survey too.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:56 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
This. If you got a mortgage you got a survey when you bought the house. Your neighbor most likely has a survey too.
Surveys are not always required at the time of sale in platted subdivisions. Besides, the fence was not up when the OP bought his house--he had the fence installed later after the property line was surveyed.

My guess is that the neighbor is not going to pursue this because he'd need to shell out money to pay for a survey to have any legitimate claim.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:24 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
That's not necessarily true. I've had surveys done by licensed surveyors which were never recorded.
Right.
The stamp is just about as important as recordation.
That licensed professional hangs his license on the survey when he stamps it.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:29 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I've purchased two houses, in two states, and didn't get a survey on either. Both were in subdivisions.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I've purchased two houses, in two states, and didn't get a survey on either. Both were in subdivisions.
However the developer of the subdivision would have had the Plat Map recorded. The OP should at least try to obtain that from the county if there is no way he can obtain the survey he had done.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:00 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
However the developer of the subdivision would have had the Plat Map recorded. The OP should at least try to obtain that from the county if there is no way he can obtain the survey he had done.
There are enough errors between plats and "As Built," buyers should always have a survey before closing.

In this thread, there is no survey, so it comes down to "He said" vs. "He said," until at least one professional survey is done.

Of course, to get to court, there likely will need to be another professional survey with a different opinion.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are enough errors between plats and "As Built," buyers should always have a survey before closing.

In this thread, there is no survey, so it comes down to "He said" vs. "He said," until at least one professional survey is done.

Of course, to get to court, there likely will need to be another professional survey with a different opinion.
Correct.

In my last home/neighborhood, the builders screwed up. I lived on a somewhat steep road, so each lot was leveled, and there were retaining walls between each house.

As common sense would dictate, the house that was higher should also be the owner of the retaining wall that is between the lower house and the higher house. (If the retaining wall fails, it's going to be impacting the higher house's lot after all.) Not to mention, mowing the grass, edging along the wall should be the responsible of the homeowner whose yard is right there, not below.

That was how the survey showed the lots were designed. However, the builder screwed up, and built the homes about 3 ft west of where they should have been built. So according to the official survey, it was the lower house that was responsible for the retaining walls, and about a foot of land past it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate