Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 05:20 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times

Advertisements

We managed to find three houses we like after several months of searching. None are perfect. We are adopting a 9 year old girl and will need more space soon-- our current house was purchased as an investment property and its very cute, but tiny and it isn't in the best school area either (she will start school in the fall and the adoption will be finalized over the next month.) All the places identified have great schools.

We have only ever lived in cities and small spaces. We have a cat, and plan to eventually (maybe) get a dog. Our current house is a rowhouse built in 1880 that is about 1000 sq ft but fully renovated with a nice small fenced yard that has a big paver patio and flower beds (low maintenance.) We don't necessarily want "too much house" but what we have is too little.

House #1 isn't on the market yet. Its close to where we live now (but better school zone) on the "fanciest" street in a small, walkable, historic city. I know the owner and have been talking to her about this place for a year. It is also built in the 1880s and a rowhouse, but its an end unit right next to a huge gorgeous park. Its about 1700 sq ft, 3bd 2.5ba. Its the proverbial "good bones" house. Blank slate, some cool original features (2 staircases front and back!) in a desirable location. But its been used as a rental and I can tell you off the bat the HVAC needs replacing, the kitchen, though serviceable, needs to be remodeled as the cheapest cabinets and counters were put in when the place was on the market (appliances are new). This house only has street parking, but we could rent a nearby space if needed-- we get a sticker for the zone and parking doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. Yard is a bit bigger than what we have now but also a blank slate with no landscaping and patchy grass, though it has a privacy fence and a small paved area near the house. Attic and basement are unfinished but have potential to be finished. This house (like ours) is in a historic district with restrictions on exterior changes. The owner is trying to sell this property along with several others and re-invest and wants a 135 day close, which our lender won't allow without a reapplication for the loan. A 120 day is longest and we pay quite a bit more on the interest rate. We are trying to negotiate for a 90 day, and if successful, this is a true contender. If not, we may have to re-think. This house has appreciated 300% in the last 20 years.

House #2 is in a planned community. This is the least expensive house by about 100K, but it has an HOA with a fee around $200 a month. Its nicely laid out with plenty of closet space and is about 2100 sqft, 3bd 2.5ba, completely remodeled kitchen, new windows, new roof, finished basement. It basically doesn't have much of a yard at all-- some plant beds and a bench, really. I would want to put HWF throughout as I hate carpet and update the builder grade bathroom (which is still quite big with a jetted tub and separate large shower, double sinks.) But we could afford to do this. The community has the usual-- a pool, tennis courts, clubhouse, and they are building some retail and restaurants which will be open in the summer/fall. But its not terribly walkable right now except to other things in the neighborhood and a shopping center across a somewhat busy street. It also seems to have a lot of empty nesters as many of the houses were built in the 1990s-2000s and meant to be low maintenance and not super huge. We see more baby boomers than families with kids wandering around, so I do wonder if its the best fit for a younger family. This place also adds about 10 minutes to an already long commute. This house has appreciated about 10% over the last 4 years, but it looks like they just probably made the money back they put into the kitchen.

House #3 is about a 10 minute drive from the city, out in the countryside. It is an old farmhouse, 2500 sq ft, 3 bd 3.5 Ba on 1.5 acres. It has two big porches and was built in 1910. It has been remodeled-- it looks like a couple bought it cheap and updated it, lived there for a few years and are now selling at about 140% of what they paid. There are a lot of cool features in this house with very fancy front and back staircases, a balcony off one of the bedrooms, claw foot tub, mud room, wood burning and gas fireplaces, built ins, etc. But after touring a few times I wonder if the upgrades are cosmetic and hiding other issues. There is both gas and oil heat, which confuses me, and the heat appears to be zoned. The attic seems to be an energy drain and would need to be finished or closed off. The yard is big and flat. The house comes with a barn with a new roof and floor--this could be turned into a guest house or we could keep chickens. There is also a separate garage. This place is walkable to a restaurant and an inn but that is it. Its got big mature trees and is lovely, but we do worry that it could be too much to take on with maintaining the place. On the other hand we would have plenty of room to grow. It also has a well and septic. This house is about 30K less than house 1, which is the most expensive of the 3. It also shaves 10 mins off the commute.

Sooo--- three very different places. Which would you pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 05:29 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Sooo--- three very different places. Which would you pick?
Do you have any 3 sided dice?

#1 sounds like the ideal but it isn't actually available...
until it is ...it isn't in the running.

That leaves #3 as the safe back up
and our winner is #2

Old 04-22-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you have any 3 sided dice?

#1 sounds like the ideal but it isn't actually available...
until it is it isn't in the running.

That leaves #3 as the safe back up
and our winner is #2
We actually made an offer on house one, and the price/terms were accepted but we have not yet agreed on a close date. The 135 day thing threw me as it seemed a bit long and we aren't sure its worth reapplying as we have a great rate right now. So yes, we are continuing to look.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:53 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I'm looking at this slightly differently. With the exception of mentioning school system in describing house #1, you mentioned NOTHING about which one would be best for your kid.

I've never had kids, but if I had, I would never have bought in some of the communities where I have lived. Likewise, the home that gave us the least happiness on a social basis turned out to be the one in a community full of kids and families.

I think you need to consider which house us in the community that would provide the best environment for you soon to be daughter. (And from what you've described, that may not be any of these houses.)

Old 04-22-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm looking at this slightly differently. With the exception of mentioning school system in describing house #1, you mentioned NOTHING about which one would be best for your kid.

I've never had kids, but if I had, I would never have bought in some of the communities where I have lived. Likewise, the home that gave us the least happiness on a social basis turned out to be the one in a community full of kids and families.

I think you need to consider which house us in the community that would provide the best environment for you soon to be daughter. (And from what you've described, that may not be any of these houses.)
I did mention that all have great schools in the very first paragraph-- schools in house 1 and the country house are slightly better than the planned community as far as I can tell, but it really depends on who you ask and what source you look at. We actually moved here because of the schools-- all in the county are pretty great and there is a host of private options too. I also said that one of the houses seem to be in a community with an older/empty nest population so I wasn't sure about it. I have definitely given her experience a lot of thought. But as this is a real estate transaction, I wanted to get that perspective in this forum. I am sure I could post in parenting and get more along the lines of what experiences other parents have had living in different places, but I want a more objective view right now. I hope that makes sense.

House one is next to a huge park where I can literally see kids playing from the windows. This park is a central location in town with a pool, tennis courts, playgrounds, softball diamonds, lake, trails, etc. etc. Walkable to other families and kids as well as the school.

Planned community house has pool, shops about to open, tennis courts, community center. I am sure there are kids in the community, but as I say, I see more empty nesters. This could be turning over too. I don't know.

Country house is more isolated, but lots of space, time outside, we could get animals which she would like. No idea if there are kids nearby as the houses are all farmettes and its not obvious.

There is something to be said for each from a family perspective. All are safe. All have lots going for them. All have issues.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:31 PM

House one accepted the shorter close period. All three are in play.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
It's very difficult to be making a home-buying decision for a child you are expecting without having been a parent.

I would not advise on #3 because her activities and social events may require you to drive her quite often to other parts of town.

I know that technically it's a real estate decision, but really it's a lifestyle decision because your entire lifestyle is about to change.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's very difficult to be making a home-buying decision for a child you are expecting without having been a parent.

I would not advise on #3 because her activities and social events may require you to drive her quite often to other parts of town.

I know that technically it's a real estate decision, but really it's a lifestyle decision because your entire lifestyle is about to change.
We have been parents. We lost our child. Lots of assumptions here. I really don't want to go into the circumstances around all the emotional nuances of this. But I know that there is an adjustment and the little one plays a huge role in the big picture. And that life will change.

I am really interested in some objective real estate points of view. I know that there are a lot of moving parts with this decision.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We have been parents. We lost our child.

I am really interested in some objective real estate points of view. I know that there are a lot of moving parts with this decision.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Since you are accustomed to the row house lifestyle, it might be a less abrupt transition to consider #1, especially with the proximity to the park. Any cosmetic changes can be made over the years that you live there.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:53 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Keep looking.
Last time we took 2.5 year before we found our now house.
It was well spent 2.5 year.
Do NOT buy on an itch to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate