Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:37 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
The whole county is pretty country. He's used to it. I don't care for it at all. I miss suburbia. Lol
He's been living with a well for 20 years. He knows how to deal with it. Just have to get a good inspection.
I used to spend my summers in Bullville, NY which is about a half hour from there and loved it, but I was young then. Back then the most exciting thing was the weekly livestock auction and I was okay with that.. Lol Now, I'd miss my suburbs and having a store 5 mins away. It is very pretty country though.

As long as he's used to country living and you can afford it, then go for it. I think it's a nice thing that you're doing.

Have you checked out any foreclosures or FSBO's in the area? You may be able to get more house for your money. I saw one foreclosure listed for $49,000 but they didn't give an address or any details.

Let me know what happens please..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 01:34 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
I, too, want to commend you on what you're doing so unselfishly for your dad, hellob.

I know nothing about rural NY but wanted to tell you your descriptions were very entertaining. I laughed all the way through with your choice of adjectives. Good one.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:15 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
I'm trying to decide whether to get a 45kish house for my dad bc he has a restricted breed dog and can't find anything to rent. He can't leave the general area bc he's separated from his wife but she's got kidney failure so he takes her to dialysis and Drs almost everyday.
I found a small cottage I could pay cash and have him pay me back for what rent would be. The area has no reported crime but omg, there's a bunch of houses that look like a Deliverance/Sanford and son hybrid. The others aren't "nice" but the owners look like they try. The cars mostly look late models pick ups, Hondas, etc. not many hooptys.
This definitely isn't a place to put money into to make it feel like a nice house and I don't know how long it would take to sell but I would be ok selling for less since he's going to pay me. I would only be doing it so his dog has a home. Any advice on if I'm not thinking of any pros/cons? I can't really think of anything else to solve the problem unless I bought him an rv and he camped year round but I think he'd deal with the deliverance types there, too.
Here's the listing
30 3rd St, Cuddebackville, NY 12729 - realtor.com®
I talked to my realtor cousin Mary, who also happens to be my wife, and she wants to know what's your problem with Deliverance type people?

Y'all put your pants on the same way we do, and when ya die, we all gonna disintegrate into dust just the same.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,106 times
Default Run down & safe?

Quote:
I'm trying to decide whether to get a 45kish house for my dad bc he has a restricted breed dog and can't find anything to rent. He can't leave the general area bc he's separated from his wife but she's got kidney failure so he takes her to dialysis and Drs almost everyday.
I found a small cottage I could pay cash and have him pay me back for what rent would be. The area has no reported crime but omg, there's a bunch of houses that look like a Deliverance/Sanford and son hybrid. The others aren't "nice" but the owners look like they try. The cars mostly look late models pick ups, Hondas, etc. not many hooptys.
This definitely isn't a place to put money into to make it feel like a nice house and I don't know how long it would take to sell but I would be ok selling for less since he's going to pay me. I would only be doing it so his dog has a home. Any advice on if I'm not thinking of any pros/cons? I can't really think of anything else to solve the problem unless I bought him an rv and he camped year round but I think he'd deal with the deliverance types there, too.
Here's the listing
30 3rd St, Cuddebackville, NY 12729 - realtor.com®
Those words don't usually go together?

Old 05-04-2017, 06:04 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
To me, that looks like a great little house for a single senior who likes his privacy and doesn't want to live in an apartment. A little paint and TLC and it can be really nice IMO. It's just enough space for one person and a dog to be comfortable.
A lot of people on here couldn't imagine themselves living in anything but a mcmansion in a fancy suburb but for your dad's needs, it's a great house. I would do it if your Dad like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate