Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:29 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,639 times

Advertisements

Say I want to leave a letter for the new owners to find after closing congratulating them on their new home and telling them some info like who to call to arrange for trash pickup and stuff like that?

Is it OK or will it be weird and not received well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 10:35 AM

558 posts, read 434,087 times
I left an accordion folder for my buyers. It had the warranties/instructions for all of the appliances, the garage door openers, important numbers sheet that I had posted on my refrigerator, etc.

I really didn't leave a personal note, but I felt the folder was a nice touch.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:36 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Say I want to leave a letter for the new owners to find after closing congratulating them on their new home and telling them some info like who to call to arrange for trash pickup and stuff like that?

I don't think you can ever go wrong with leaving on a classy note.

Which day is trash day, which mailbox is theirs, where the main sewer cleanout is - lots of things they didn't think to ask & you can rattle them right off.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:36 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:

Sure.
Many buyers are touched by such a gesture as a personal note.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:49 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
One interesting question is whether you left a phone number and address so they could contact you with issues.

I wrote a document with contact info for maintenance people and description of a few idiosyncrasies of the house and gave it to my to real estate agent to pass on. I did not include contact info although circumstances were such that they would have no difficulty finding it. I also left a bunch of manuals (admittedly not organized).

Old 05-01-2017, 10:52 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
I left an accordion folder for my buyers. It had the warranties/instructions for all of the appliances, the garage door openers, important numbers sheet that I had posted on my refrigerator, etc.

I really didn't leave a personal note, but I felt the folder was a nice touch.
+1. Exactly what we do, put all the instructions/warranties and our maintenance history usually in a kitchen drawer. I wouldn't know what to say in a personal note unless it was a historic house maybe, but nothing wrong with the idea. It's a nice gesture, you'll never know what the new owner thought, so not "weird."

Old 05-01-2017, 10:54 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:

Not weird. Polite and thoughtful.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:57 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:

It has always been received well by my clients when the seller left relevant information for them.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:00 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,972 times
Totally fine.

I had post-it notes all over the house I just purchased. Telling me what light switch controls what, what type of cleaner I can use on the bathtub (it has been refinished), etc... Plus manuals and warranty information for certain things.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
When I sold my house I left all the appliance manuals in a kitchen drawer, and a list of all the companies I'd used to service my house on the counter just above that drawer. I figured at worst the buyers would just throw the list away, but at best they'd be happy to have the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate