U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 06:49 AM

51 posts, read 139,411 times

Advertisements

So, my listing contract is going to expire in a couple of weeks and I'm not sure if I should stick with my current realtor and sign again OR try someone new. My current realtor has been a good communicator and done several Open Houses, ads in the paper, etc. We have a good working relationship, no personality problems, etc. BUT, and this is the key, we have had one showing. Yup, one showing. I'm very aware of the market problems and that the average days on market for my town is 165. We're not quite there yet. I know our price is good...we did a thorough market analysis before listing and are even slightly below FMV.

Would you try someone new or stick with the current guy for another try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:13 AM

983 posts, read 4,224,113 times
I think you should stick with the current realtor if you feel you have a good relationship but have him approach it again like a brand new listing -- all new photos, new wording, new MLS #, etc. People & agents will skip over a listing where they recognize the picture as "old" -- have him take photos from different angles, it's probably different weather, too, so outside photos will be fresh for the current season. You might want to change the price just slightly, too, making sure that it's within consumer shopping price frames (i.e. don't keep it at $330,000 when people are searching from $300-325). Get it down to within the next lower price frame for searches.

Last edited by WendyK; 03-08-2008 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-08-2008, 08:18 AM

9,113 posts, read 15,298,270 times
Obv your realtor did not do his job and price your home correctly.

I would find someone who will SELL your house by giving you a realistic range to list at.

What would make you think things would get any better w/this guy?

Move on.

You do want to sell your house, right?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:19 AM

175 posts, read 801,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
I think you should stick with the current realtor if you feel you have a good relationship but have him approach it again like a brand new listing -- all new photos, new wording, new MLS #, etc. People & agents will skip over a listing where the recognize the picture as "old" -- have him take photos from different angles, it's probably different weather, too, so outside photos will be fresh for the current season. You might want to change the price just slightly, too, making sure that it's within consumer shopping price frames (i.e. don't keep it at $330,000 when people are searching from $300-325). Get it down to within the next lower price frame for searches.
I agree with everything WendyK said, particularly the consumer shopping price frames. Also, on the photos, make sure your home does not look too cluttered....do some staging if it's needed. Another thing you could do is offer a BTSA.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
I think you should stick with the current realtor if you feel you have a good relationship but have him approach it again like a brand new listing -- all new photos, new wording, new MLS #, etc. People & agents will skip over a listing where they recognize the picture as "old" -- have him take photos from different angles, it's probably different weather, too, so outside photos will be fresh for the current season. You might want to change the price just slightly, too, making sure that it's within consumer shopping price frames (i.e. don't keep it at $330,000 when people are searching from $300-325). Get it down to within the next lower price frame for searches.
Sorry, I disagree. Now your telling the realtor how to do his job after 6 months? This seller wasted her time plain and simple.

A good realtor would've at least got traffic in the door. This flake didn't even do that.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:40 AM

13,741 posts, read 31,556,293 times
The fact that you have had one showing is not a good sign, even in this slow market. Are you offering a competitive buyer agent compensation?

It sounds like he is doing traditional marketing well, but something is turning off buyers to not even step in the door. Either they are driving by and not liking what they are seeing, or your internet photos are turning potential buyers off.

I would interview some agents and try and find a highly internet savvy one. Take a really close look at your internet marketing and MLS listings. What is keeping buyers from coming to the house?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 AM

983 posts, read 4,224,113 times
he also said the avg days on market in his area is 165 and he hasn't been on that long...sometimes it takes a while to get the buyers in the door. I do agree that they need to sit down and re-analyze the price. What was FMV at the beginning of the listing may no longer be accurate.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:52 AM

1,815 posts, read 4,267,470 times
You need to go over Absorption Reports with somebody, either your current agent or a new one. I suspect that one showing is dismal and that if your competition is selling, there is a problem with the marketing (pricing is part of marketing).

You might find that your agent doesn't want to continue - I wouldn't, without some significant changes.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:56 AM

Well if her contract is going to be up, she's wasted time w/him for what? 6 Months?

I mean c'mon ...I know you guys like to protect your own, but c'mon....

By advocating sticking w/this loser you guys are HURTING her more than helping her chances to sell.

If this guy (realtor) needs advice at this point, its a lost cause.

Move on and get your house SOLD.

Just my blunt .02

Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 AM

1,815 posts, read 4,267,470 times
Coup, you're probably right - but we need more details, perhaps in that neighborhood and price range there is 12 months of inventory. The OP said it was priced correctly, but I'd like to know the agent's opinion. One showing in 6 months is disgraceful. I tell my clients that we need 3-5 showings in the first 2 weeks or we have problems. Like I said earlier, I would not want the listing if it wasn't going to sell - what's the point? That agent has hundreds of dollars and lots of man hours lost at this point. There's obviously a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or