Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:14 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times

Advertisements

Has this ever happened to you? It seemed strange to me...

We are preparing to list our home. We had three agents from top RE "teams" out to our house. The 3rd agent refused to discuss pricing at the initial meeting. She spent a lot of time talking about the history of her agency, how Zilliow is useless (agree), etc. but would not even ballpark price.

The other two agents were prepared with comps, market analysis, and numbers. They had laptops with them to be able to look up other properties on the fly.

To us, it seems the 3rd agent hadn't done her homework. Or is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 08:30 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
It's old school, but some agents still do a 2-step approach where they come visit the house first and then take their information and go back and run the comps for more accurate numbers. I've never done that. I always run numbers first and then I'm prepared to price below, above, or at the comps depending on the condition of the house when I see it. Not everyone is able to analyze like that.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Are you in a hurry?
Do you need to list it tomorrow morning?
How do your comps compare? You did do your own analysis?
What changes/repairs did each suggest?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Are you in a hurry?
Do you need to list it tomorrow morning?
How do your comps compare? You did do your own analysis?
What changes/repairs did each suggest?
We hope to list in the next 2 weeks.

All 3 agents were very complimentary.

We went through the house and explained what we had done so far and what is left to be done (for example, we are having new carpeting installed next week).

The middle agent was the most picky about finishing certain things, but I actually appreciated that.

The other 2 agents didn't make many suggestions for repairs/improvements (even though I asked them specifically) other than agreeing with what we already said we would do.

The comps are not direct comparisons...one has 4 acres where we have 1. We have a pool while another house doesn't. We are not in a cookie cutter neighborhood where every 5th house is the same. We are supposedly in a "hot" market.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:56 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

We are preparing to list our home. We had three agents from top RE "teams" out to our house. The 3rd agent refused to discuss pricing at the initial meeting. She spent a lot of time talking about the history of her agency, how Zilliow is useless (agree), etc. but would not even ballpark price.

The other two agents were prepared with comps, market analysis, and numbers. They had laptops with them to be able to look up other properties on the fly.

We are in the same position, interviewing agents to list our home. We do have an idea of what our home might sell for based on recent sales.

Not one of the 5 agencies quoted zillow but all of them offered listing prices based on recent comp sales,
I was surprised that a couple of them came in with list price suggestions before viewing our home.
This will be an interesting journey!

Old 05-12-2017, 01:26 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Did agent #3 let you know she was going to go back and research, etc?

If she contacts you shortly, that can be old school but sometimes slow and steady gets the job done better.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:22 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:

I sometimes do a 2 step.
It depends on how much data, prior photos, and evidence of condition I can pull up to be able to speak confidently.
And, too often, a seller will tell me how meticulously maintained and immaculate their home is, but when I get there I immediately have a different opinion. Pricing may be vague and elusive at that point.

It's a bit odd to give a firm history lesson as part of a listing discussion, though.
Someone is pushing sizzle instead of steak, it would seem.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:59 AM

Maybe it was the way she approached it. At no time did she talk about general market conditions, or tell us she likes to take a two step approach. It was more like she had a secret she didn't want to tell us. Meanwhile we heard all about her daughter in college and her broker's dog. When we asked about price we were almost scolded.

Maybe she was having an off day. We will choose one of the other two agents instead.

I just wondered if this was typical or not.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:01 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
We interviewed several realtors. All but one gave us the complete interview in one meeting. One didn't want to discuss pricing or how she would market our house, even though we asked. She said "We'll do that on the second interview."

It's a strategy, I guess, maybe it's supposed to intrigue you enough that you ask for the second interview and are hooked? I'll never know because we didn't ask for a second interview. We had limited time to do interviews, plus we weren't thrilled with how she evaded most of our questions and spent most of the time complaining about local architects instead of talking about selling our house.

I can understand if someone doesn't feel ready to do comps before seeing the house but you can always send a follow up e-mail with the pricing info if that's the case. Scheduling a second sit down interview seems unnecessary.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:34 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Maybe it was the way she approached it. At no time did she talk about general market conditions, or tell us she likes to take a two step approach. It was more like she had a secret she didn't want to tell us. Meanwhile we heard all about her daughter in college and her broker's dog. When we asked about price we were almost scolded.

Maybe she was having an off day. We will choose one of the other two agents instead.

I just wondered if this was typical or not.
Was she the last agent of the three?
Some salespeople want to be the last presenter, so they can chain themselves to your kitchen table and wear you down until you sign on the line.
It has actually been a "taught" sales strategy. Find a reason to come back.
I had one guy, a "Tin Man," say he would purposely leave something behind so he would have to come back.

So, in a 2 step, the odds of getting that shot are increased.

Old School, fer sherr, and the stuff of movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate