Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 11:03 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times

Advertisements

This is one of the most interesting threads I've seen in awhile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 11:27 PM

680 posts, read 716,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I thought it might be fun to post some listings of "over the top" houses. Places that Liberace might feel comfortable. Please feel free to add your links.

In my area, the median income for a family is about 77K, making this house quite the dream home for most.

I am particularly impressed by the frescoed ceilings. WOW!

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Frederick/.../home/17479487

I'm not sure Liberace would feel comfortable in the homes I'm about to link to...maybe more like royalty would. I love castles so these homes are pretty neat looking to me...my favorites are the ones located in Texas, New York, and CT.
Castles Around the Country: A Roundup of Royal Residences | realtor.com®

The one that is located on that site at 450 Brickyard Rd, Woodstock, CT is awesome. It has moat and everything else castle-like.

Last edited by beckerd2; 05-14-2017 at 11:42 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 12:05 AM

600 posts, read 566,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I thought it might be fun to post some listings of "over the top" houses. Places that Liberace might feel comfortable. Please feel free to add your links.

In my area, the median income for a family is about 77K, making this house quite the dream home for most.

I am particularly impressed by the frescoed ceilings. WOW!

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Frederick/.../home/17479487

Dream home? lol seems tacky to me. Doesn't have the "homey" feeling. More like a hotel with dated architecture and poor design choices. (ugly vintage blue kitchen, gold moldings?) WTH hahahahah

Money can't buy taste!

The land however, is pretty awesome. But the house is like a pimple on a pretty face.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:28 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...88517616_zpid/

This one makes me gag every time I pass it. What we think is a single car garage in a house for over 8 million and NO LANDSCAPING. The house that this one replaced was far, far nicer looking and the yard was beautiful. This gaudy monstrosity is just... bad. Pictures really can't convey how bad it looks, especially surrounded by properties with actual landscaping.

I'm still not sure how they managed to get the interior so gaudy and yet so beige at the same time. That takes talent.
From the ad: Garage Size: 4 Car

My guess is the garage has a single door but multiple spots.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:05 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Here is another in the slightly more swanky suburb of Bethesda, yet again illustrating that if you have a lot of money in the DC area, you pattern your house against Versailles (because that is fancy lookin')

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Bethesda/5.../home/11200436

Here is one I actually like-- much more modest and I love the pink stucco. But its woefully out of place architecturally. Reminds me of old Hollywood.

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Bethesda/6.../home/11180987

Old 05-15-2017, 07:08 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Dream home? lol seems tacky to me. Doesn't have the "homey" feeling. More like a hotel with dated architecture and poor design choices. (ugly vintage blue kitchen, gold moldings?) WTH hahahahah

Money can't buy taste!

The land however, is pretty awesome. But the house is like a pimple on a pretty face.
That is sort of the point of this thread-- dream home is tongue in cheek. There have been some great examples on here.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:31 AM

183 posts, read 210,608 times
This 'breathtaking' Michigan castle has $3.5M price tag | MLive.com

This local landmark is down the street from our house. It's very gaudy inside but the grounds are ok.

Last edited by Rothwells mum; 05-15-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 05-15-2017, 10:43 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,432 times
This is for sale in my neighborhood for $3.75 Million, has been on the market 3yrs +. Not as gaudy as the others I've seen on here but this is a neighborhood of $400k homes.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:20 PM

214 posts, read 300,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Listing says it has a 4 car garage.

Half of the pictures show decor I'd be OK with. Then something creeps up like the blue laundry room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And that blue room and the backsplash at the stove were tiled very poorly. I wonder how bad the rest of the workmanship is.
Our bad on the garage - it's got two (front to back) from that single garage door facing the front and two on the side right next to the front facing garage door. We'd always been too horrified by how bad the whole thing looked to even notice the side doors.

There had been a planned carriage house (in the style of the house) that would have blocked the view of the ugly garage door. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't look out of proportion to the point of silliness.

I was particularly fond of the blue tile close-up, so one could see how poorly the tile was laid. I'm assuming a lot of little details like the tile were horribly rushed. The house took over 2 years to be built - much of that was due to forced stoppages by the city because of various issues (including "accidentally" building the pool house 2 feet higher than it was supposed to be and soil erosion issues).

The whole thing, along with the nearly $80k in yearly taxes (the taxes showed by Zillow are WAY off) scream "we ran out of money."

Old 05-15-2017, 02:56 PM

600 posts, read 566,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...88517616_zpid/

This one makes me gag every time I pass it. What we think is a single car garage in a house for over 8 million and NO LANDSCAPING. The house that this one replaced was far, far nicer looking and the yard was beautiful. This gaudy monstrosity is just... bad. Pictures really can't convey how bad it looks, especially surrounded by properties with actual landscaping.

I'm still not sure how they managed to get the interior so gaudy and yet so beige at the same time. That takes talent.

8 million.

wonder what the original looked like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate