U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 05:15 AM

909 posts, read 520,464 times

Advertisements

curb appeal.....paint....declutter (try to make it looked like a staged home as much as possible)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 05:58 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,586,157 times
Just keep it neat, clean and inviting. Why is everyone wanting to move to Maine? I've lived here my entire life and it's not the easiest state to live in. As you get older, the winters are so brutal.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:21 AM

27,462 posts, read 44,959,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Thanks so much. We've been doing that like crazy. Hard and stressful but i know it matters (the packing up so much stuff!).
Don't go too heavy with the air freshness--some people find those offensive and think it means you are hiding another smell--like mold or pet odor

PLEASE have the realtor take decent photos for the MLS listing--
Many times the photos I see online are just awful--poorly lighted and framed and they don't encourage anyone to visit the house being advertised

Make sure the toilet seat is down and bathroom is clean--that means no wet soap dish or wet towels
A pain but you are creating an impression that no one really lives in this house now---
It should come across as clean and welcoming as an expensive hotel suite...

Set the thermostats at a comfortable level--even if you would normally have it higher or lower to save money

Consider having your windows washed inside and out---it is worth the cost because of how clean windows create a positive aura

Old 05-14-2017, 07:59 AM

14,301 posts, read 17,505,128 times
In addition to the great advice you've already received, I'll add that you should make every possible effort to make the home appear pet free. That includes not just the animals, but also remove the pet beds, pet toys, litter boxes, feeding bowls, etc

Old 05-14-2017, 08:03 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,316,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
In addition to the great advice you've already received, I'll add that you should make every possible effort to make the home appear pet free. That includes not just the animals, but also remove the pet beds, pet toys, litter boxes, feeding bowls, etc
That's not always to do with pets. If you're living there you can't remove the litter box! But ALWAYS keep it clean!!!

Old 05-14-2017, 08:32 AM

27,462 posts, read 44,959,956 times
IF there are pets in the house when a showing takes place
Make sure you have info about that easily seen and tell them what to do--
Like pet is in utility/laundry/guest bathroom---please don't let it outside that room...

You run the risk depending on the pet of people just not paying attention
Trying to pet the animal or not going through the house because there is pet on site
Some people--not many--but some are very allergic to pet dander and likely won't buy house with pets on site

Old 05-14-2017, 08:44 AM

770 posts, read 564,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I'm listing my house for sale with a Realtor next week.

I've lived in it since 1995. So - i'm a bit nervous. Excited to sell and move, but lots to think about.

I've never sold a house before - for those who have, what are a couple of your most important tips or points. Thanks. (I'm in NJ, moving to Maine.)

It will be sold in 1 day over asking price... just like mine ... be ready to jump when you see a house you like.. I had to bid on my new house within hours of it being listed..

Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,041,395 times
Don't let anyone in to see the house without your real estate agent. Some agents give out addresses to do drive by's, and I guess some people find out the address from different websites but you may find you'll get some pushy people knocking on your door to see the house.

The first one that showed up without an appt caught me off guard because he said he got my address from the agent so I thought she sent him, but he was only supposed to do a drive by.. so I'm just giving you a heads up.

Another piece of advice.. Don't take anything personally. Some lookers will love it, some will hate it.. some will offer way below asking price.. Separate your emotions from the sale.. It's a business venture.

Good luck, and good luck in your new place.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:01 AM

1,440 posts, read 3,572,846 times
A couple of things, from this former agent's perspective.

If you are living in the house while on market, hide or secure your valuables, anything with your personal information on it too. Agents do try and screen as best they can but there have been cases when things came up missing.

If you have a basement, clean it up but don't necessarily over clean it. You'd be surprised how many know-it-all buyers, in some cases rightly so, threw down red flags when they saw freshly painted basement walls and floors. "What are they hiding here?".

Just a funny, but useful, tip. For heaven's sake, if you have a three inch tall pin oak tree growing out of the gutters, it really is ok to get up there and pull it out.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:33 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,240,834 times
I'm retired, so i will take the pet out with me when people are coming. Also taking her dishes out.

Trying to remember every little thing. Even taking the water filter off of the faucet in the kitchen. We have over an Acre, so cleaning up the yard is taking a while. Lots of big and little junks!

Lots of really good ideas here and things to remember. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate