U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 12:50 PM

13,675 posts, read 16,271,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
That's not always to do with pets. If you're living there you can't remove the litter box! But ALWAYS keep it clean!!!
We used to put the litter box in the trunk of our car. The cats were in their carriers.

M-Friday, we have arranged for neighbors to take our dog while we were at work (and we paid them). After work, we picked up the dog.

I have sold 3 put occupied homes, dogs and cats. I have met all the buyers after they moved into the houses. ALL were shocked we had pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 12:57 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,101,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Just keep it neat, clean and inviting. Why is everyone wanting to move to Maine? I've lived here my entire life and it's not the easiest state to live in. As you get older, the winters are so brutal.
I've loved Maine since i was about 15, when my family started traveling there. I'm hoping the cold Winter will be made up for with the other months of the year. The heat and humidity of Jersey actually make me SICK. As do my property taxes lol. I grew up on the salt-water here, and cannot afford anything close to there nowadays. I can in Maine. I say "I was born living on the salt-water and i want to die there." Hopefully the cold and snow won't do it! I can read my hours away indoors, and my partner/husband likes to bundle up and go outside. Just have to make sure he has someplace (a building, garage) to do his tinkering, etc.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:27 PM

62 posts, read 41,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Good luck to you also! Yes, i'm in Salem Co. and my township is supposedly "desirable." But i'm a pessimist - I guess that way i don't get disappointed LOL. I think i have a really good Realtor - he's sold the most here and very high up in NJ. Yes he knows the area. I'm excited - but nervous like i said.
If you have a really good realtor, he or she should be telling you all this. I recently looked at some homes and it surprising how many of them were a total mess. Our realtor made us clean and declutter thoroughly.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnBen View Post
If you have a really good realtor, he or she should be telling you all this. I recently looked at some homes and it surprising how many of them were a total mess. Our realtor made us clean and declutter thoroughly.
He came in already and told me things looked really nice and the house was great. I figured he was buttering me up. (We had cleaned and packed up a lot before having him come.) Like i said, i'm a pessimist. I asked him if i should stage it, and put everything away. He said it was a good idea. He had emailed me a long questionnaire, and i'm guessing he rode by the house before coming. He had a large booklet done, with the price range and what he thought the house would sell for before he ever got here. He told me after walking thru, he felt as he did when he wrote it up. I was just asking for hints from people who had sold houses. He's very professional.

(Edited to add: The VAST majority of houses that i look at online are messy, look dirty, are NOT staged, and it doesn't look like the people did ANYthing to get ready for the photos. Some of the photos are even very bad. This realtor does a 3-D type of blueprint thingy also.)

Old 05-14-2017, 08:24 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,551,506 times
For the pet thing- keep the area clean but I wouldn't stress if the pet can't be removed.

As I said earlier, I worked two jobs and only required an hour notice to show. People came when I was at work and I wouldn't necessarily have known they were coming when I left for work that morning. I have a cat that is terrified of people. Most of the time, she slept under the covers in my bed. I'd get comments from buyers about the cat lump in my bed. Never anything negative.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:40 AM

201 posts, read 109,676 times
After reading things online I was terrified of listing my house while owning a cat. There was nowhere I could take him and I had to go to work every day. I just made sure the litter box was very clean and the 4th person who looked at the house made an offer. Hope yours goes as smoothly!

Old 05-15-2017, 11:45 AM

Listing on Thursday - signing and having the photos done. Will update!

Old 05-16-2017, 11:28 AM

23,556 posts, read 42,840,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnBen View Post
We have sold several houses during our marriage---
The first one we were painting the main/only living area and had a showing--we told the realtor we were painting but people wanted to come anyway--
One of them stepped in the paint container--
They ended up buying the house

Another house we sold, I was home (had just had baby) folding clothes and had neighborhood kids playing w/my son...the people couldn't come any other time...
House was basically a mess---and they wound up buying the house
So while I agree--that A de-cluttered and staged home sells best--
The right buyer is what makes the deal...

Good luck!!

Old 05-17-2017, 07:16 AM

1,701 posts, read 696,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I've loved Maine since i was about 15, when my family started traveling there. I'm hoping the cold Winter will be made up for with the other months of the year. The heat and humidity of Jersey actually make me SICK. As do my property taxes lol. I grew up on the salt-water here, and cannot afford anything close to there nowadays. I can in Maine. I say "I was born living on the salt-water and i want to die there." Hopefully the cold and snow won't do it! I can read my hours away indoors, and my partner/husband likes to bundle up and go outside. Just have to make sure he has someplace (a building, garage) to do his tinkering, etc.
I live in NJ too and I agree it's too darn hot here for much of the year. And the allergy season keeps getting longer and longer and longer

Good luck with your sale! My only tip would be don't get insulted by any offer even if you think it is low, work with people! An offer is an offer and you never know where it can end up

Old 05-18-2017, 03:04 PM

16,118 posts, read 8,407,290 times
I got little plastic tote baskets from the dollar store for all of your bathroom stuff. That way we could keep everything in there so it was easily accessible but then stick the whole basket in the under sink cabinet each morning and quickly wipe off the counter with a Clorox wipe, then do a quick swipe on the toilet with that same wipe, tidy up the the towels and voila, a showing ready bathroom in about 90 seconds.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or