Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 06:56 AM

801 posts, read 609,597 times

Advertisements

https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Bridgeton/.../home/37590565

Sold 3/22/2018 for $177,500.

I would *not* expect Jellybean to post her new home; it's bad enough we know so much about her old one. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 07:18 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,602,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Bridgeton/.../home/37590565

Sold 3/22/2018 for $177,500.

I would *not* expect Jellybean to post her new home; it's bad enough we know so much about her old one. :P
So happy to read this stressful 9 month saga is behind her.
Jelly when you check in good luck in Maine and congrats on the sale

Old 04-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 1 day ago)

1,964 posts, read 3,296,553 times
Hi all

I will post my "new home" after settlement. Have not made settlement yet as they have to wait til "after thaw" to test the septic. SO - we are living in a motel in Maine. Two of us, with a large dog lol. It's interesting to say the least.

I would love to share the horrors of my "settlement" in NJ, and moving. I will try to make it short. Seems like i never have any truly good news, right??

Settlement was supposed to be 3/16. Then i got notice it was changed to "on or before 3/30." I changed my motel reservations to "unknown" and the UHaul truck rental date got put on hold.

(I'll add right here - when you don't have much money it sucks. I think if i ever sell again i will sell "as is." IF that helps you from having to pay for so many tests and repairs ahead of time - before settlement. Also, i will pay a mover even if i have to take out a loan. You know we are both over 55 and disabled, and tried to do this by renting a UHaul and doing it all ourselves. NOPE!)

Then they called me 4 days ahead and said the date was now 3/20. Well, i needed a couple more days as we were already "planning" on closer to the 30th then. They agreed on 3/22. Two days before that we got hit with a Winter Storm/Nor'easter. Horrible - with much heavy, wet snow, ice, and sleet. We lost power for two days before settlement... had NO electric. Could not flush toilets, wash dishes, anything. All candles were packed away. Of course we did not save any water because I never believe that it's going to be as bad as it is - it NEVER usually is! But this time it's worse...

Trees start breaking everywhere. Cracking and falling down. Branches - big ones - covering our driveway in front of the UHaul. We had moved our own vehicles down the road - thankfully - because we feared branches falling on them. The only thing was - i could not charge my phone in the car where my charger was.

I lived there 23 years and only had ever had ONE branch break, and that was from lightening in the Summer.

I started asking to have the settlement date moved by a day because of the power being out, and the fact that the driveway was blocked. The buyer and his agent had an answer for everything (via my agent). Even though they had already changed the date twice - I guess that was OK. HE didnt have power either, HE would come help with the branches, blah blah blah. I was so stressed i didnt think i'd make it thru, truthfully. I knew they had to come do a walkthru.

Finally it got changed to a day later. I was in the house during walkthru (which my agent said was OK), and watched the buyer glare out the windows at all the downed trees. When i got to settlement, my agent took me into a room and told me - via several drawn-out stories - that the buyer started out asking $5,000 for tree/branches removal, but now they got him down to $2,000. I'm sure that was to make me think it was a deal. What can you do?? We were lucky we had a neighbor with a tractor who was able to drag the branches away at least from the driveway, so that people could come up and down it for the walkthru.

The UHaul truck was huge - I had to get a bigger one when the 20' ended up being too small! When he had to get off the Interstates to get gas and the truck could not fit any place. I swear, after i write this i will never speak of it again! So stressful. Do not ever believe one of those signs that says "gas" and take the route. He said we will fill gas cans if we ever have to pull a car trailer or anything again. (He left his small truck at home to bring up at another time, and may not even do it!)

Luckily the manager of the storage unit had a son that we could pay to help unload the truck when we got here. We had gotten rid of tons, and didn't even bring much furniture. I cannot imagine what filled that truck and unit - but it ALL feels like "junk" at this point. You lose feelings for possessions when you go thru something like this for them. They feel like they're "crap!"

Will let you know after settlement how things are. We are very happy to be in Maine, and hope things go well from now on! If you are still reading, thanks for checking in lol, Jill

Old 04-02-2018, 08:45 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,602,546 times
Oh wow, you have had one stressful nine months!!! I am so glad it's over and hope settlement on your new home goes smoothly!!

Old 04-02-2018, 02:23 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,029,803 times
Thanks for the update JB! Glad the NJ house is over and done with, although frustrated for you that the new house is having its own hiccups. Glad you are enjoying life in Maine, and hope that you are home and settled soon!

Old 04-02-2018, 06:43 PM

3,441 posts, read 2,780,508 times
Glad the closing is done! Now one more and hopefully life will finally settle down for you.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:23 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,082,948 times
Wonderful news, and congratulations JB! Thanks for sharing your journey with us, it was really helpful (not to mention interesting).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate