Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 6 days ago)

1,964 posts, read 3,299,851 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, all of the things i listed would have been remedied IF the correct time had been given.

And i will also only accept the times that give me enough time to START with, let alone if they come early!

Thanks again, i feel better today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 12:54 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,472,453 times
Glad you feel better!

Real buyers who are truly interested in your property will work around your schedule too. It's not a convenience store where you have to be open 24 hours a day lol.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:48 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,041,607 times
I am sorry you had a fire drill like that, and that you are coping with so many other things. But I found that it was a whole lot easier to stay on top of as much as I could while my house was listed so that even with a last minute showing, the amount I had to do was limited.

So things like making the bed when you get up in the morning, taking out the trash every day, not leaving dishes in the sink are a few things that don't really take all that long to do and just have them done and over with every day. Try to keep it up as you go, so that you have ideally 15 minutes, but no more than 30 minutes to get it back to showing ready.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I found once I got into the groove of it, it really wasn't that bad, esp. if I tidied up before I went to bed each night. Then you basically have vacuuming, wiping off counters and toilets, and a little dusting to worry about right before the actual showing.

And I tried to make things as easy as possible - Clorox wipes, those Swiffer disposable dusters, etc.

http://swiffer.com/en-us/shop-produc...er-starter-kit

Old 06-20-2017, 05:10 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,009,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, all of the things i listed would have been remedied IF the correct time had been given.

And i will also only accept the times that give me enough time to START with, let alone if they come early!

Thanks again, i feel better today.
Jelly, what a crummy showing! Haven't had anything that bad but 1 showing came 1/2 hour early and one showed up at 7:35 PM for a 7 PM showing and then stayed in the house til 8:30 PM. That was a PITA, makes for a late dinner, late night.
I kinda liken it to quitting smoking though.....it is painful while doing it but you need to stick with it so you don't have to do it again (with this house anyway)

Hang in there and get it done!

Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I am sorry you had a fire drill like that, and that you are coping with so many other things. But I found that it was a whole lot easier to stay on top of as much as I could while my house was listed so that even with a last minute showing, the amount I had to do was limited.

So things like making the bed when you get up in the morning, taking out the trash every day, not leaving dishes in the sink are a few things that don't really take all that long to do and just have them done and over with every day. Try to keep it up as you go, so that you have ideally 15 minutes, but no more than 30 minutes to get it back to showing ready.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I found once I got into the groove of it, it really wasn't that bad, esp. if I tidied up before I went to bed each night. Then you basically have vacuuming, wiping off counters and toilets, and a little dusting to worry about right before the actual showing.

And I tried to make things as easy as possible - Clorox wipes, those Swiffer disposable dusters, etc.

http://swiffer.com/en-us/shop-produc...er-starter-kit
Yes, i do a lot of the with the disposable wipes. Clorox and Windex, and the dusters! Cant make the bed because the puppy/dog will dig in/bite the bedspread. Cant leave the door shut all day to stop it because the central air won't work as good. We do the trash each day, that was from the day. We had just emptied the sweeper during the vacuuming. I dont keep any junk out, only the daily stuff. I was sorting clothes before we went out, never knowing that people would come 45 mins. after we got home. The food bags had just come in with us and would have went back out in the truck with us, since i didnt even get to finish dinner. The couch has to be covered last - again because of the dog. We have our stuff in bags that get thrown into the closets... living like hoboes... fun... NOTTTT. But i know, must do it for the people!

Was just a bad day. Oh, and they liked the house - but saw water in the crawlspace. I figured that's why they changed the date to come during a severe downpour. The sump pump works. I have it in the disclosure form. Lived here 22 years with it.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:18 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,431,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Glad you feel better!

Real buyers who are truly interested in your property will work around your schedule too. It's not a convenience store where you have to be open 24 hours a day lol.
I agree with this. If someone requests a showing on such a short time frame that it will cause you great (as opposed to minor) stress, it would be better for you to say no.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:42 PM

14,328 posts, read 11,820,125 times
Real buyers who are really interested may sometimes call at the last minute, but they will also look past all the things you worry about, including the pet bowls and the dog. They're not buying those, they're buying the house.

I know you might hate me for saying this, but if it happens again, try not to sweat the small stuff. Say, "you can look at it now if you don't mind it as-is. If you want it show room ready, you can come tomorrow"

Old 06-21-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Real buyers who are really interested may sometimes call at the last minute, but they will also look past all the things you worry about, including the pet bowls and the dog. They're not buying those, they're buying the house.

I know you might hate me for saying this, but if it happens again, try not to sweat the small stuff. Say, "you can look at it now if you don't mind it as-is. If you want it show room ready, you can come tomorrow"
Thanks, and i agree and see that now.

The reason i might sound "bitter" (lol) in some of my posts IS - that i'm also house-hunting, and i look past all the photos that are filled with junk - to see the things i really like about the place, and when i looked before and bought this one - it was disgusting inside. I KNOW you want to get the best price you can, so you want it looking the best, but i loved this location and several things about the house. I had it professionally cleaned after closing, and then had a lot of work done to it.

I'm not accepting any "same-day" showings any more.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:43 PM

5,290 posts, read 5,198,877 times
I understand why you wont accept same day showings any more, but you realize that the one that you turn away might be the one who would buy your house. The longer you sit on the market......

Old 06-21-2017, 08:00 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,087,338 times
you probably won't like this, but ...

*Save the drama for your momma.

You've been on the market 30 days or less. Every single day you leave the house, it should be with the expectation that TODAY IS THE DAY - with 2 hours notice, you might need to go home to remove the dog - assuming you're not willing to crate them in the garage.

* you either want to sell to the very next person that comes to see your home, or you don't.

*you would definitely harm yourself by not allowing same day showings. If an agent asks before noon for a 5 pm showing, that's somehow not enough time?

*frankly, you're not a buyer or even looking at homes with intent if you cannot buy a home that you see that you like. How would you like feedback after a showing that inconvenienced you that said "they like your house, but can't buy until their house in NJ sells"

take deep breaths, understand, and EMBRACE that your goal is to MOVE. Or accept the fact that you won't sell in the average timeframe or near the average price.

PS - it is absolutely NOT a real estate agent/Realtor's job to be your therapist - whoever suggested as much. It is our job to set and manage your expectations and explain the process in a way that makes you comfortable, but your
emotional/psychological needs are your own. Unless in addition to our earned compensation you pay us a rate that a therapist receives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate