Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 11:06 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,110,405 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've been thinking a lot about renovations versus increasing your home value. Tell me if I have this right.

Renovation is about individual costs. Say I want to renovate the kitchen. It would cost x amount of money to do. If I want a new furnace, it would cost y amount of money.

The value of your home is not based on any individual renovation. It is based on the totality of what your renovations do to the house.

So, say I buy a house that is falling apart at the seams. Suppose I want to install a top of the line Jacuzzi that is worth $10K. Because the rest of the house is still a piece of cow poop, the top of the line Jacuzzi would do very little to increase the value of the home.

But if I begin to renovate the rest of the house. At some point, the totality of the renovations would effectively increase the overall value of the house by x amount.

Now, the trick is doing a balancing act to see at what point the overall increase in value of the house is more than the renovations combined. So, if I don't reach this point, my total renovation cost would still exceed the overall increase in home value, thus making the renovations not worth it.

Do I have this right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 01:49 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,797,222 times
Those sound like the mental calculations of a flipper. If it truely is your home and you are doing it to make yourself more comfortable then the only calculation needed is "can I afford it?"

Old 05-14-2017, 09:33 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,410,747 times
With flippers, and fix and hold buyers, I talk about ROI - return on investment. It's a percentage of total cost Higher for kitchen, baths and decks, lower for carpet & paint and near zero for a new roof and furnace. Those are meant to function. It's only a problem when they don't.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:02 AM

32,625 posts, read 47,939,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
........So, say I buy a house that is falling apart at the seams. ......
What I don't see in your calculation is what you have purchased the falling apart house for. If you buy it for $100,000 less than houses sell for in that neighborhood and put is less than $100,000 to renovate it including selling costs, there will be some profit in there

If you buy it for $40,000 less than a house sells for in that neighborhood and you put in $100,000 of renovations, you might end up with a lovely house that you are going to lose a lot of money on.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,890,710 times
Quote:
The value of your home is not based on any individual renovation.
It is based on the totality of what your renovations do to the house...
...and in the context of what OTHER similar homes in the area have done.

eg: If all the other 40yo tract houses have remodeled kitchens and are appraised at $X...
if you home does not have that remodeled kitchen it will be worth less.

Quote:
So, say I buy a house that is falling apart at the seams...
...and which is appraised at well below the OTHER similar homes in the area...
then it would probably be worthwhile to restore it to the level of similar homes in the area.
---

But if/when you go overboard in quality/style in comparison to OTHER similar homes in the area
then you've crossed the line from restoring a deficiency into something else altogether.

If you intend to stay put for 20 or more years... so be it.
But if you expect to sell anytime soon don't count on recovering your outlay.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:02 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,452,842 times
What do the other houses in the area look like? Are they all renovated? Or are they all older and in need of updates? Would your house be the "most" renovated? What does a renoed house sell for in this area?

You never want to renovate more than your location unless you are in an actively gentrifying zone. Learned this the hard way.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:48 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,492,738 times
For my area (North Jersey) this is what I see....

People get back the money for the following...New bathrooms, new kitchen (white cabinets are the thing now), hardwood and finished basements.

Things people might like but won't necessarily pay more for....Paver driveways, fences, hot tubs, second kitchen in basement, fine carpentry like crown molding and wainscoting. And finishes that are higher than the neighborhood commands.

Pools are emotional. They can turn a buyer off or on. People will pay a premium for a pool that is in good working condition if it strikes that emotion with them, but no one should put in a pool to increase the value.

Things people should care about but may overlook as long as they work...the age of the roof and HVAC systems

I don't think it's about the renovations adding up into something, at least around here. But the more done the better

Old 05-16-2017, 06:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,486,164 times
Quote:
Ok, I've been thinking a lot about renovations versus increasing your home value. Tell me if I have this right.

Renovation is about individual costs. Say I want to renovate the kitchen. It would cost x amount of money to do. If I want a new furnace, it would cost y amount of money.

The value of your home is not based on any individual renovation. It is based on the totality of what your renovations do to the house.

So, say I buy a house that is falling apart at the seams. Suppose I want to install a top of the line Jacuzzi that is worth $10K. Because the rest of the house is still a piece of cow poop, the top of the line Jacuzzi would do very little to increase the value of the home.

But if I begin to renovate the rest of the house. At some point, the totality of the renovations would effectively increase the overall value of the house by x amount.

Now, the trick is doing a balancing act to see at what point the overall increase in value of the house is more than the renovations combined. So, if I don't reach this point, my total renovation cost would still exceed the overall increase in home value, thus making the renovations not worth it.

Do I have this right?
Are you renovating to live in it or sell it?

I did remodels in my personal houses and I didn't care as much as to cost or value. It's going to raise the value simply because it's a improvement. I did it for our enjoyment not because it brought 5k in value
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate