Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:36 PM

256 posts, read 311,644 times

Advertisements

In near future we should buy our first home as a family. Right now living in our own apartment.

I am actively looking listings and finding homes that I like. We can not move right away because our child is starting pre-K this September (over there (towns where we search) pre-K starts at the age of 5, so that is not an option).

Every day when I see some house that I like and the price that I like, I have a feeling that if we don't act immediately we will lose all chances of finding our perfect home. How to deal with this? Should I just stop looking and wait until Spring 2018? I just have a feeling that the yard like the one I just saw will not be on the market when we are ready to buy/ or the house that is perfect for us won't be on the market again.

Any advice from your own experience? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 11:48 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,681 times
Whatever you do, don't let the emotional rush today ruin your search a year or so from now. Those homes will be gone. I don't think looking is a bad idea, but the old adage that "perfect is the enemy of good enough" applies to house hunting.

The shiny object is different for everyone, but you have time to refine your search, drive the neighborhoods and get a feel for the community. Develop a list of preferences and don't get stuck on a particular lot. There will be another one within a few blocks. And believe me, sometimes that perfect listing is a huge disappointment when you walk through the door. Don't fall in love until have an accepted offer.

When you are within a few months of buying, consider hiring a RE agent. By then, your list can be transformed into a search and the agent can start looking. Get pre-approved for a mortgage if you need finance so you are ready to shop.

In our next to last move (14 family moves in 24 years, 5 more for me in the same time as a geo-bachelor), my wife looked at 50-60 houses, and she found our dream home. We lost it to a higher offer. We found another home and never looked back.

There is always another home and don't worry, you will love it. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2017, 05:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
I am actively looking listings and finding homes that I like.
Have you been to your bank for "pre-approval" and KNOW what you can afford?
Can you afford what you like and where?

Have the CASH for down payments and everything else?
Have the solid job that pays enough?
Expect that the job will continue for ten years or more?

Without this step all the rest is just idle dreaming.

Quote:
We can not move right away because our child is starting pre-K this September
That's a silly reason to not buy if you're otherwise stable financially.

Quote:
...if we don't act immediately we will lose all chances of finding our perfect home.
How to deal with this?
There is no perfect home. Not now and not in a year.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:43 AM

156 posts, read 154,749 times
When we decided to buy a house, we started looking about 18 months out. We decided we wanted to build, but we went and looked at current houses on the market to get an idea of different things. Then we looked at every model home and drove every community in our search area (limited to same school district due to our kids). We timed the contract so the house would be done by a certain time, when our lease was up. worked out great. The point is, make a plan and stick with it. If you are in a hot market, keep in mind that housing will not be cheaper in a year. So the house you can afford today may be out of reach in 12 months.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 AM

256 posts, read 311,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Have the CASH for down payments and everything else?
Have the solid job that pays enough?
Expect that the job will continue for ten years or more?

We've been pre-qualified, we have cash, home equity, solid job (not jobs), and going to pre-K is important (our child is bilingual and english is not spoken at home).

I am also concerned mortgage rates will only go up and we won't be able to afford house that we like one year from now.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:30 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
#1: Quit looking for the "perfect" house.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:32 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
We can not move right away because our child is starting pre-K this September (over there (towns where we search) pre-K starts at the age of 5, so that is not an option).
Is this public pre-K? I'm surprised that 5-years old is the minimum age for pre-K students. That's unusual. It's typically age 4. Does that mean that if she starts kindergarten as a 5-year old, her classmates will be 6-years old (if they attended pre-K)?

Have you explored private pre-Ks in those towns that might allow her to start at age 4? That way, you would not have to wait until next year to buy a home.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:32 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Quote:

I am actively looking listings and finding homes that I like. We can not move right away because our child is starting pre-K this September (over there (towns where we search) pre-K starts at the age of 5, so that is not an option).

Every day when I see some house that I like and the price that I like, I have a feeling that if we don't act immediately we will lose all chances of finding our perfect home. ...I just have a feeling that the yard like the one I just saw will not be on the market when we are ready to buy/ or the house that is perfect for us won't be on the market again.
Pre-K? Unless this is something you have reserved and paid for beforehand, I can't see that as an excuse at all. You would be better moving at the pre-K stage than later. Your child will adapt just fine if you decide to move now.

And the hardest lesson of all: there will ALWAYS be other perfect houses. Always. It's difficult to let something pass by if you have decided not to move immediately, but in fact all these houses you view now will teach you something about what you like, what is the best location, and what you don't like. So keep looking online and you will get more discerning as you view more houses and locations. Then you will be ready to pounce when the time comes.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2017, 09:51 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Is this public pre-K? I'm surprised that 5-years old is the minimum age for pre-K students. That's unusual. It's typically age 4. Does that mean that if she starts kindergarten as a 5-year old, her classmates will be 6-years old (if they attended pre-K)?

Have you explored private pre-Ks in those towns that might allow her to start at age 4? That way, you would not have to wait until next year to buy a home.
This is my thought exactly. Pre-K is for 4 and some 5 year olds who barely miss the cut off date. Kinder is 5 years old by a specific date. Each state is different. There is some kind of pre-K all over, so not moving because of that is just an excuse. Even if you can't get into a public pre-K, which not all school districts have, there are always pre-K's at the preschool level.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:47 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
We've been pre-qualified, we have cash, home equity, solid job (not jobs), and going to pre-K is important (our child is bilingual and english is not spoken at home).

I am also concerned mortgage rates will only go up and we won't be able to afford house that we like one year from now.
Rates will continue to go up and who knows what the market will be like in 2018. Where are your looking to buy? I find it hard to believe that all the Pre-k facilities where you are looking start at age 5??? Most children start Kindergarten at age 5 with pre-K starting at age 3. I think you need to look into that some more.

Also, Even if your children are bilingual, if you live in the U.S. you might want to start speaking English more at home. I had a neighbor who only spoke her native language at home and even though her children where bilingual, they had a hard time adopting in school speaking and writing English all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate