U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:36 PM

72,671 posts, read 64,140,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte74 View Post
My wife had no choice but to live in a tiny house (400 square feet) for many years in the USSR. She now lives in our 1100-square foot palace while her daughter now occupies the tiny house (as she did when my wife lived there). On a recent visit, my wife offended her daughter by blurting out, "My God, it's so tiny, how did I ever live here?" She now agrees with me that 1100 square feet is barely adequate for two people. I'm a big devotee of Thoreau and love the concept of tiny houses, but realistically my attitude toward tiny houses is the same as my attitude toward Phoenix: It's a fun place to visit, but I wouldn't
want to live there.

For those who aren't familiar with Thoreau, there is an amusing section in Walden where he discusses how he toyed with the idea of living in a shipping container where he could just close the lid at night. But the reality is, even crusty Thoreau only lasted two years at Walden.
Was that a house, or an apt.? When I posted in a discussion on the Europe forum that 4-500 sq. ft. in the US is considered a mini or micro-apt., & it's a new, experimental thing in the more expensive COL cities, people pitched a fit. They accused me of making it up, and propagandizing. They said it's normal in Europe, and they were talking about Western Europe.

BTW, how big an apartment one was allotted in the Sov. Union depended a lot on one's station in life. I've seen people with HUGE apartments, even by US standards (which are shrinking rapidly, I can't help noticing). One I saw was around 2000 sq. feet. The owner was a member of the local parliament, and had 4 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 05:54 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,314,105 times
I personally think the "Tiny" homes are good only for singles or younger couples without kids. Most retirees are not going to wasn't to climb a ladder to get up to a loft bed. I also can't see a family living in one. I know there has been a few shows showing families moving into one, but I think they will regret that in a few years. Kids need space!

I do agree that the whole "big" house movement is starting to die and most people are being more realistic in what they need in a home versus buying more. WE moved from a 3400 sq ft home to a 2300 sq ft home and it's perfect for my family of 4. I know many who are moving into half the space that they used to have. I think there will always be people who want a big home, but the era of "McMansions" is over.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:10 PM

1,765 posts, read 867,558 times
Haha, I grew up in an apartment in Sweden that many would consider a "tiny house" size in the US. The biggest space I have ever lived in was about the 1700 square feet for 3 people and frankly it was a bit difficult to maintain. I prefer to live smaller. I prefer a house where I know and use every inch of space and don't just accumulate stuff I have to stick somewhere or have rooms I never go in but have to dust anyway.

That said, I don't think I would be happy living in a mobile tiny home. They just have to be way too narrow to be able to be towable. I have friends who have traveled all over the US with such a house and frankly it makes me claustrophobic to be inside. I would be happy to live in a stationary tiny house like the Cusato Cottages type designs or many of the smaller homes that you can build. There are a lot of very inventive architects working on downsized living space.

Personally I prefer cozy to cavernous but there's a difference between cozy and claustrophobic.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:12 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,960,621 times
When I was in my early 30's I lived on my 36' sailboat. It had all of the conveniences of home and was MUCH nicer inside than most of the tiny houses I see on HGTV. And since it was docked in a marina, you'd pull back the hatch in the morning and there would be the water with a few ducks or a seal passing by. It was a very pleasant life. Simple, but pleasant, and a bit romantic at the same time. Something about living on the water is very primal. Of course, we could go sailing on the weekends and it was great for attracting the ladies. After a few years though, I got tired of antenna TV, tired of filling the water tanks every few days and tired of fishing frozen foods out of the portable freezer in the dock box, so it was time to move on. Still, it was a great way of life for a while and one which I'm very happy that I experienced for a time. I sense that many of these tiny house buyers are looking for that same simplicity, but I'm not surprised to hear that they often get disenchanted after a while. Wanting is often a totally different thing than having.

~~~~~~~ _/) ~~~~~~~~

Old 06-02-2017, 08:04 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,394,701 times
I just caught one of the shows today where the wife thought cleaning a 400 sf house would be too much work.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:15 PM

4,840 posts, read 2,145,909 times
Its great for a "minimalist". I find the concept to be right up my alley.

THe challenge of such a structure would be a detriment during floods or wind storms. Not sure I want to be Dorothy from the Wizard of OZ for that adventure.

Good though for a young single person wishing to build their wealth ....three- 5 years in one of these, then onwards to a solid structure.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:21 PM

291 posts, read 131,153 times
Not a tiny house exactly, but when it comes time for me to settle down and any kids are out on their own I want a relatively small house. I'd likely need to have it custom built. I stayed at the Vdara about 18 months back and got a 1-bedroom panoramic suite. 8-850 SQFT. If I could add a garage, a covered patio out back and a walk-in closet, I'd be more than happy to call that home.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:11 PM

917 posts, read 403,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Where do you put a tiny house?

Mom's backyard. Since they got evicted from her basement.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:32 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,048,458 times
In many areas, these tiny houses are actually banned. I live in a rural area and even here we have strict building codes. Each lot has to be a minimum number of square and houses must be a minimum number of square feet with a minimum number of bedrooms. Trailers built after 1972 aren't allowed to be moved. Modular homes and manufactured homes are allowed, but they have to follow very strict regulations from code enforcement. You can't just park a camper or trailer in your yard for 3 months and let someone live in it. Code enforcement will fine you!

For me, no way would I live in one. You can spend that same 50K and get a much nicer camper that is significantly larger. And I'm not about to climb a ladder for anything. Who wants to sleep on a mattress on the floor with a ceiling 3 feet above your head so you give yourself a concussion every time you get up? No thanks! Around here you can actually buy a small, decent house for $50-60K....nothing fancy, but it will not be on wheels and it will be significantly larger.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:18 PM

3,460 posts, read 1,955,403 times
It's a fad, and here is why.

If the intention is to use and leave a smaller footprint, then selling your regular size home to build and move into a tiny house elsewhere isn't leaving a smaller footprint. It is simply creating a larger one. Because if you really cared about a smaller footprint, you would either leave the regular size house as-is, and live in it, or you would tear it down and built a tiny sized house in its place.

As for cost savings, it really is very foolish. I've seen a couple of episodes of people building those houses and for that cost, you can purchase a regular size normal house that already exists without those restriction.

The other thing is comfort. You have to look around at your surroundings and decide that when you feel sick, like have the stomach flu, are you going to want to crawl around in a tiny house to twist and turn to get into your tiny bunkbed like sleeping place. In other words, as you age, are you really going to feel comfortable in such crammed surroundings.

Tiny house wasn't practical for many things. For example, if you are a musician who owns and practices a grand piano, you need a regular size home for that. A tiny house won't work.

If you really want to save on costs and have a smaller place to live, then considering selling most everything you own, which you would have to do anyone if you wanted to live in a tiny house, and rent a room in someone's regular sized home. It will be cheap and you will have the resources of a regular sized house when needed.

There is a very good reason tiny houses are built like mobile homes because they don't adhere to local building codes. Building codes are there to protect us all.

It is a fad for people who want the attention for doing something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate