Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:53 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times

Advertisements

We have a lady on our street like that. Ask anyone on our street where the crazy lady lives and they'll point out her house. She's had her house on the market for years at a grossly inflated price. The local realtors won't even list it anymore. And every realtor that does list it drops her as soon as the listing expires. She insists on being there for every showing so she can point out everything she feels is important. All this is done in spite of all the advice she gets from each realtor. Which is lower the price and disappear when the house is being shown. It's a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood and would sell immediately if only she would listen to her realtor.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 06-06-2017 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 01:54 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I'm not sure what your point is

My point was sometimes sellers have very good reasons for what they do. I think as long as an agent advises their client as to what they think of an issue, at the end of the day, everything is the sellers' decision

In our case, all of the agents managed to make it back on the weekend Funny how that worked
I don't know how you would know that, honestly. I am sure there were just as many scared off by the NO SHOWINGS UNLESS ITS ON MY TIMETABLE! note on the listing that you never even realized.

And that is my point. When you draw a line in the sand you exclude people who have the cash to buy. But hey, I am only trying to be helpful. As your realtor probably was as well.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Actually there was a Freakonomics study that proved this isn't quite true. Realtors would rather sell your home quicker for a bit less money. If you think about how much their cut of the difference is, it's worth it to them to sell it quicker.
So aren't you arguing with yourself at this point? Whether they want to sell it quicker or for as much money as possible (and I bet you a bag of donuts that any realtor would ideally say BOTH) the point is they want it sold. Anything a seller does to resist sage advice on how to make that happen is just silly.

Again, to all the defensive sellers out there-- your realtor wants to help.

No one is criticizing your taste in furniture.

No one hates your beloved pets.

They just want to help you sell your house.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
We have a lady on our street like that. Ask anyone on our street where the crazy lady lives and they'll point out her house. She had had her house on the market for years at a grossly inflated price. The local realtors won't even list it anymore. And every realtor that does list it drops her as soon as the listing expires. She insists on being there for every showing so she can point out everything she feels is important. All this is done in spite of all the advice she gets from each realtor. Which is lower the price and disappear when the house is being shown. It's a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood and would sell immediately if only she would listen to her realtor.
I wonder if she is one of the responders on this thread....

Old 06-06-2017, 02:34 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I don't know how you would know that, honestly. I am sure there were just as many scared off by the NO SHOWINGS UNLESS ITS ON MY TIMETABLE! note on the listing that you never even realized.

And that is my point. When you draw a line in the sand you exclude people who have the cash to buy. But hey, I am only trying to be helpful. As your realtor probably was as well.
If some were scared off and never called, that was fine with us. We weren't unaware of the possible consequences. The house still sold. It was just funny that the agents who would call asking to come during the week and saying that their buyer could only come during the week still managed to come on the weekend.

You're still missing my point. Realtors need to understand that they can only give suggestions but the seller is still the one in control. Sellers aren't being stupid when they don't do certain things, contrary to what some on this thread seem to think. They are working within the limitations of what they can do or what they want to do

Old 06-06-2017, 02:35 PM

109 posts, read 78,501 times
I totally agree that it's good to consider the advice of an agent when it comes to decluttering, light cosmetic improvement, and staging. However, I do think some things involve personal opinion on the part of the agent. Before I listed my home, I had a handful of agents meet with me to see my property, give me input, and tell me about their selling strategies. Some were veteran agents. Some not. I only had one agent recommend removing any items or making an upgrade. Because of that, I thought it was likely her opinion. The agent I chose thought these things were not needed and he was the one who sold my home and he was very successful in finding a buyer. I think sellers should always realize that buyers have to be able to see themselves in your home. The price and location has an impact on how much they are willing to compromise or wing it with what they see. However, if you are unsure about bothering with things like light upgrades, storage, etc. get more professional opinions before making the move to do them.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
So aren't you arguing with yourself at this point? Whether they want to sell it quicker or for as much money as possible (and I bet you a bag of donuts that any realtor would ideally say BOTH) the point is they want it sold. Anything a seller does to resist sage advice on how to make that happen is just silly.

Again, to all the defensive sellers out there-- your realtor wants to help.

No one is criticizing your taste in furniture.

No one hates your beloved pets.

They just want to help you sell your house.
Are you familiar with that study? You seem to have missed the point again

Old 06-06-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I wonder if she is one of the responders on this thread....
I hope you're not an agent

Old 06-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I think its just easier to sell a house that looks good. A primary residence should feel like "home" when you walk in and buyers are always chasing that. Sellers have their own idea of what "home" looks like and get insulted when people objectively state that something they hold dear may not inspire others to want to live there. And let's face it, some people just have very specific taste that does not translate well to others.

I think agents are just doing their utmost not to waste time. If a seller is not willing to listen, it means a longer haul until the house gets sold and more effort to sell it for both parties. But the sellers often can't separate their own idea of what is good in a home to what sells. There is also sometimes distrust that a realtor is trying to get them to spend money for some nefarious purpose. The reality is that they are trying to help you. But some people can't be helped.
So they shouldn't take their listing
Easy

Old 06-06-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
If some were scared off and never called, that was fine with us. We weren't unaware of the possible consequences. The house still sold. It was just funny that the agents who would call asking to come during the week and saying that their buyer could only come during the week still managed to come on the weekend.

You're still missing my point. Realtors need to understand that they can only give suggestions but the seller is still the one in control. Sellers aren't being stupid when they don't do certain things, contrary to what some on this thread seem to think. They are working within the limitations of what they can do or what they want to do
Okay, we will have to agree to disagree. You know everything. Your house sold, so obviously you were right.

As a buyer AND seller, I don't like to scare people off. But you were willing to take that risk. Good for you.

Now, please, just stop arguing. You heard something on NPR, so hey, that is a validated fact. Great.

If you don't want or need advice because you know best, I am happy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate