Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 12:31 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Its not even in Frederick county. Its not what I "feel" is in the city limits. Its a fact. Try again.

Trust me, this is not a commuter town. I know of what I speak.
OK, I'll take your word for it. Surprised, though. I know the small towns of western MD very well, and am surprised to hear there are any that would have met your original post's description of being "in your area" that don't have at least a few commuters. But, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 01:10 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,453,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
OK, I'll take your word for it. Surprised, though. I know the small towns of western MD very well, and am surprised to hear there are any that would have met your original post's description of being "in your area" that don't have at least a few commuters. But, whatever.
Surprised that you know more about where I live than I do, and even more surprised that you continue to defend your position when I have told you that it is factually incorrect. It may be time for the ignore list-- two for two threads with snark now.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:24 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
i would suggest using your county database (i assume you have one online) and just digging through the records to see who owned it the last few times. then search their names in combos to find a purchase that matches the dates, give them a call and ask...

It is really surprising how easy it can be to find folks who own or owned a piece of property..

Old 06-12-2017, 01:30 PM

510 posts, read 499,755 times
Sometimes the layout of the house is off. Especially in some old homes. I once toured a home which my husband loved but I refuted because the living space was too small. For example, the bedroom doors would hit a standard queen sized bed when you opened the door and forget about adding other furniture in there...

Looking at it's history it was definitely a starter home, and it seems like when a second kid came along the owners would sell and move on.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:32 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,512 times
Old houses often aren't the easiest to live in. I had one for 8 years. I loved the house and loved the space, but I lived there first by myself and then later with my husband. It was difficult to have visitors because one of the bathrooms was adjacent to and had a door to my bedroom. If someone was using the bathroom, I had to hear every drip, drop, and fart. Animals would get into the attic, and once I got all those holes sealed they started tearing into my crawl space. It was super expensive to heat in the winter and almost as expensive to cool in the summer. It lacked storage space. Rooms went from one to the next, there were no hallways or buffer areas to separate living spaces from private spaces, you had to walk through the kitchen to get to one of the bedrooms, and the laundry room was in a closed in porch off that bedroom. I couldn't imagine trying to live in that house with a family. One of the bedroom doors wouldn't stay closed in the winter (but would in the summer!). The folks I bought it from had four small kids and the wife was a SAHM, I don't know how that worked with six people and you can't do laundry when the kids are sleeping. Not to mention, it had all the typical old house problems with things breaking down and needing to be fixed and/or replaced. And none of this was exclusive to my house - the whole neighborhood was full of old houses that had deteriorated and declined in the 70s and "gentrified" in the 90's and 2000s, and we had a few that turned over every few years. Sometimes people would get into them not realizing how much money and work they were, sometimes people loved the charm but didn't realize how hard it would be to actually live in it, a lot of them were younger couples who liked the in town location, but either got new job and moved, or had kids and needed something easier and less of a money pit. The only reason I lasted so long in mine is because I had lots of disposable income and nothing better to do than fix things and call contractors.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
i would suggest using your county database (i assume you have one online) and just digging through the records to see who owned it the last few times. then search their names in combos to find a purchase that matches the dates, give them a call and ask...

It is really surprising how easy it can be to find folks who own or owned a piece of property..
That is an excellent idea! I will have to see what I can find.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM

22,443 posts, read 11,969,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post

Also, just google the address and see what comes up.

OP---can you post a link to the listing? Since you don't live anywhere nearby, you can post the link and still be anonymous.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:16 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,426,122 times
Probably relocation. One house that I know was bought in June 2002 as new construction, then sold November 2003, then sold July 2005, sold March 2009, sold then October 2013 and then rented September 2016.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:41 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,906,400 times
I just bought a house that was built in 2004 and has been sold 5 times over the last 13 years. The last sellers bought as a young couple and then had two kids and outgrew it. They owned it for 4 years. It does back up to a busy street...so maybe the road noise bothered people more than they thought it would? I also wondered....the years since 2004 have been rocky for the economy and maybe that had something to do with people moving....job losses or job changes. I have not met my next door neighbors yet, but it looks like they are original owners. I will be anxious to get the scoop on the frequent sales. No ghosts have been seen yet!

Old 06-12-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Also, just google the address and see what comes up.

OP---can you post a link to the listing? Since you don't live anywhere nearby, you can post the link and still be anonymous.
I feel as though I have said too much about where I live. I am very uncomfortable from some of the aggressive comments about knowing where I live/what "small towns" in the area are like. Its a bit creepy. If I can figure out a way to do it and redact info, I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate