Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 05:04 PM

247 posts, read 363,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
There is a listing in my area that honestly has been sold every 1-2 years since 2003. Its not currently on the market as it had been under contract but then went back on the market and now is "temporarily delisted." Its a cool old house with lots of charm and the pics look good-- I have driven by it many times but not toured. The history does show a significant price increase between 2003-2004 so I am betting it was a flip and that is when it was last updated. But otherwise its just a two year stint and sold, another 2 years and sold, a year and sold usually at a flat profit or small loss.

What would make a house turn over so many times in such a short period in your experience? I am halfway wondering if it is haunted!
My first thought is that you might be in a military area. Officers move every two years or so, and even though they should probably rent with that schedule, some buy because renting is "beneath" them. (Some, not all.) Some buy because they're overconfident in the area market.

Other than that, there could very well be bad neighbors who aren't apparent when viewing but whose habits quickly get to be too much to bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 06:18 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
There is a lot of conclusion jumping by certain posters on this forum-- seen it in several of my threads now...
Welcome to City-Data

Old 06-13-2017, 08:34 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
I would guess there is something annoying about living in that house that isn't apparent until you are living in it. You never know what odd annoyances are going to come with house.
like those twin 10 year old girls that keep appearing at night at the end of the hallway?

At some point, a family without the ability to sense the ghost will move in and live happily ever after. I find it hard to believe that it's haunted.

While I do believe it can happen, most people I've spoken to can't see it so it's more likely that the house just doesn't have modern amenities that most people are used to. Central air, working and safe electric wiring or an upper level that doesn't get crazy hot in the summer.

I live in a new construction with lots of insulation and the upper level still gets crazy hot.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:07 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
I feel as though I have said too much about where I live. I am very uncomfortable from some of the aggressive comments about knowing where I live/what "small towns" in the area are like. Its a bit creepy. If I can figure out a way to do it and redact info, I will.
I believe you've already posted links to houses you were actually looking at, so what's the harm in posting this one that "isn't even that close" to where you are? Heck maybe someone can pull up the address and see if it was actually sold or just a refi, etc.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:13 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I believe you've already posted links to houses you were actually looking at, so what's the harm in posting this one that "isn't even that close" to where you are? Heck maybe someone can pull up the address and see if it was actually sold or just a refi, etc.
I did post houses I was looking at and that was a mistake as it attracted a couple of creepy comments. Sorry, I won't be posting anything else remotely in the same state.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
I bought a house that had a similar title history, but worse. It was owner built and owned by the owners for 2 years after the build, then owned by HUD, then a family, then a bank, then a family then HUD again, never more than 2 years in one owner.

It was abused and a fixer upper when I bought it. While vacant the teens across the street used it as a party house, bat against toilets, and fists through the walls. Their mother was on the school board and a 'big shot' in her own mind.

After I bought it, I met with the teens family ( 5 boys, all out of control) and explained that I would press charges and make sure that their kids were arrested, even if it was a citizen's arrest. They would go to juvie hall if they entered my property line. I also explained that I would make sure that the media knew that her kids were arrested. The media would maybe withhold the names, but would tell enough that everyone would figure it out in a small town. I let them know that I had several uncles who were cops, or retired cops and I had no tolerance for her kids doing anything that bothered me or my girls or my home.

The adults divorced within a year, the lady leaving, and the kids just kept disappearing ( I figured live-in school or treatment, never knew, never cared.) The man moved out when their house sold, again within a year. The kids never bothered me They stayed far away. All the neighbors were glad to see them gone.

I am not sure if the 5 teens contributed to the problem or not about the house title.

The house did have one pretty bad problem. IT was built on a hill with a wooden deck that covered a porch with a porch roof and secondary entrance door below. The area above and past that porch roof leaked into the house, into an internal hallway. (The house is offset, not squared off for each level.) To fix the roof, the deck needed to have boards removed. It was a big project. That roof had 8, yes EIGHT layers of roof on it and it was less than ten years old. It leaked bad, like a flood into the hallway. I had lots of people try to fix it for the first 2 years.

FINALLY figured it out! The deck was levered off the house. The house was lower that the street end of the deck so water ran towards the house. The deck support beams and porch roof beams went into the house and the water followed the main support boards into the house to that hallway, where they ended, and dumped the water into the house.

So the deck was redone with nothing going into the house, but attached to the outer frame of the house. Same for the porch roof. NO WATERFALL IN THE HALLWAY!

That is why I think people moved from that house, and why they could not sell it either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate