Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:18 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlong2315 View Post
What do you guys consider a starter home? sq ft, Price, number of rooms etc. I'm in NC and i'm not quite sure what people are considering a starter home.
A condo or anything with a stick shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 08:26 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
"Starter" house means whatever house you can afford when you're starting out. At least, that's what it means to me. The "starter" homes back where I used to live in CA had 500K price tags :/
I agree.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:59 PM

9 posts, read 7,060 times
Somebody said it perfectly, a starter home is a house that you can afford when you are relatively young and are still paying off student debt. A price point is difficult to say because there are huge differences in price all over the country. Here in Minnesota it would be around $150k give or take a little.... depending on the area where you buy, it would be smaller or a little larger. Our older houses here in St Paul or Mpls tend to be smaller. For this money however, one can find a decent town house.... so like many things in Real Estate - it depends :-) But usually a cheaper home and thus smaller ...

Old 06-13-2017, 11:15 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
^^This^^ isn't a bad wording.

I was going to say "affordable to the median under 30 home buyer in the area."
Where I live (Wilmette, Illinois) there are no buyers under 30 at all. The median first-time SFH buyer is mid to late 30s and has moved up from the city where they either owned or rented a condo.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:14 AM

748 posts, read 832,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Where I live (Wilmette, Illinois) there are no buyers under 30 at all. The median first-time SFH buyer is mid to late 30s and has moved up from the city where they either owned or rented a condo.
Wouldn't a starter home then be a condo, in this instance?

And the starter "home" be that SFH for the one in the mid-30s? Perhaps a redefinition of what we mean by starter home.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:10 AM

1,330 posts, read 698,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Are there really a lot of markets where an additional 10% will get you another 5-10 years worth of being happy with a house? Couldn't you just put that 10% into upgrades?

It seems that in most markets where 300K is a starter home, going to more beds/ baths/ a finished basement (which is really what would keep someone there longer, right?) is at least 30-50% more cost. I'd think the difference would be 320K to 450K, no 320 to 350.
It's not just upgrades. It's location and style of the house.

$30k less for us would have gotten us something about 5 miles further west or south. That 5 miles would be another 15 minutes each way during rush hour.

$30k less would have gotten us a ranch-style house or a smaller tri-level when we highly preferred a 2-story house with a basement.

The house we ended with actually did have a finished basement and was 2.5 baths instead of 2 like most of the others we saw. We compromised on lot size (about 1/10th acre vs 1/5-1/4 acre) to get what we wanted. Would I have liked a bigger yard? Sure. But it means less yard work for me and less watering while still enough space for games of bags or horse shoes and to have a puppy.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:25 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
and once again, that will depend on your market. It may work where you live, but for many people, they will not be saving any money by renting, because rents are the same or more than a mortgage. Buying a starter home, building some equity and then moving up the property ladder is a very sound strategy in many cases.
No offense but you sound like a real estate agent

Another downside is being tied down

Old 06-14-2017, 07:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
I just saw a home listed that seemed decent sized for the year , and it was listed as a starter home .. but it had no interior photos on the listing .
So I'm guessing they were using it as a nicer way of saying "fixer" home .

Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I just saw a home listed that seemed decent sized for the year , and it was listed as a starter home .. but it had no interior photos on the listing .
So I'm guessing they were using it as a nicer way of saying "fixer" home .
Not necessarily.
One of my mom's neighbors refused to allow interior pictures of his house online. 3 bed/2 bath ranch around 1400 square feet, so I'd consider it in the starter home range. The house is immaculate. He listed in February with two summer time photos of his house. He sold it in just a few days.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:41 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
No offense but you sound like a real estate agent

Another downside is being tied down
Nope, just someone who is single with a kid, works for a non-profit so doesn't earn a huge salary, and lives in a half million dollar house that I never, ever could have afforded without the equity that came from the two previous homes I've owned.

And because I have a kid, being tied down is exactly what I wanted. I live in a great neighborhood with great schools in a city where not all the schools are great but because of where I live, my son is guaranteed a spot at one of the best rated high schools in the entire state. I'm not going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate