Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:13 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

I always follow topics such as this because I hope I can make a difference in helping people. I have to try but I cannot make people do anything. All I can do is give them my practical advice.

For behindthescreen, you don't understand utilities. They always have a person to tag with the utilities. When you transfer your utilities you are turning in your "chump" into somebody else's "chump."

I just this week transferred my utilities by contacting the utility companies and placing termination orders, then contacting my new tenants and informing them that they would be without utilities on July 3rd if they didn't order turn-on soon.

As a landlord I'll admit I have more than average experience in knowing when to turn the utilities off, and I also take extreme effort to impress on the new tenants that they will have no electricity, no water, no gas, unless they place their orders RIGHT NOW!

I'm happy to report that my new tenants appreciated my effort in informing them, and giving them all the contact numbers for city, electric and gas, in time for them to activate their new utilities.

I'm getting good feelings here, that my new tenants seem to be good people. Of course it doesn't hurt that they got utilities 2 free days on me. You can't transfer utilities on Saturday, and July 1st is Saturday.

Makes no diff to me. All part of the cost of doing business, and in the cause of goodwill to new tenants. You landlords know how important it is to start out well with tenants. The biggest challenge is to finish well too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 09:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And that would be a prime a-hole move. Why screw over the new owner by shutting off their water without any notice even assuming the water company would do that? Per the OP's follow up posted, the water company wouldn't do it anyway, they are sending out a notice to the new owner that they have to open up their own account. That's the decent, human way to handle things. Not cutting off water to someone who might not even realize they need to pay separately for water.
The water company will not turn it off, I worked at one for 17 years. They will leave a notice on the door for the new people to call and have it put in their name within 3 days, and just read the meter. If the new people are honest and give the actual date they moved in, the bill will be prorated between the OP and new owners. If not, the OP is responsible until the date they called.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:02 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,324,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

For behindthescreen, you don't understand utilities.
What the? Didn't you read my previous post? I WORK FOR UTILITIES!!!

Oh well

Old 06-30-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The water company will not turn it off, I worked at one for 17 years.
I work for one too and yes they will. Maybe It Depends On The Area BUT here in Los Angeles it is called "disconnect by customer request"!

When a person moves and wants to cancel service, you call the office and tell the you wish to cancel. They will send a water guy to shut off service and get the read. You will only be billed till that date. That is how it's done.

My god the know it alls in the real estate forums, that's why i don't post here!

Last edited by behindthescreen; 06-30-2017 at 10:16 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 01:44 AM

89 posts, read 83,059 times
Just so many crooked people out there looking to screw someone over whether legally or not. Legally, Op is most likely on the hook. Yes OP is a bonehead for not disconnecting services like an adult. But, everyone knows that OP isn't the one using the services. F**k all of you for even balking at the idea of reimbursement. I feel ill when I have to represent people who aren't happy until they feel like they screwed the person they dealt with. Just cancel the service and don't pay brother. If you are in a position where it affects your credit than just pay the bill. If you have loads of cash, don't pay it for spite.

Last edited by Magnum_22; 07-01-2017 at 01:59 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 10:04 AM

586 posts, read 554,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
I work for one too and yes they will. Maybe It Depends On The Area BUT here in Los Angeles it is called "disconnect by customer request"!

When a person moves and wants to cancel service, you call the office and tell the you wish to cancel. They will send a water guy to shut off service and get the read. You will only be billed till that date. That is how it's done.

My god the know it alls in the real estate forums, that's why i don't post here!
I have had experience with this same thing as well—they will definitely shut it off.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
What the? Didn't you read my previous post? I WORK FOR UTILITIES!!!

Oh well
I don't care who you work for. I always order cut-off service when I hand over a property to a tenant or a new owner, and have never had any problem.

Perhaps it varies according to jurisdiction or utility.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I don't care who you work for. I always order cut-off service when I hand over a property to a tenant or a new owner, and have never had any problem.

And I don't care what you care or don't care about either. I was pointing out that I work in water because you said I don't understand utilities which is false since I know more about it than you do.

Also, didn't I say that the water can be shut off?

Old 07-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Then chalk it up to an Internet misunderstanding. Sorry.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:15 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Yes, it does.
In Colorado, the water goes with the property and not the owner.
Water is part of the title process at closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate