Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 09:11 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Not really. I actually see it when I pull in and out of my driveway. It is at a distance and you would not know what it was from the end of my driveway. But now that I know what it is it seems more..."glaring"

Granted it may not be a "pressing' issue for me....but the two undeveloped lots behind us were just sold so when they finally build houses there and two more neighbors are driving up and down the easement there will be some more irked folks, especially if the treads of their tires are constantly filled with crap!
That won't be your problem, why not just mind your own business and leave everyone alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 09:44 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Honestly...I am trying to be patient here but I really wish people would read the original post carefully. Read the first paragraph again! As I stated, the easement splits both of our properties. It is clearly marked on the county surveyors map and I had the property surveyed again before having a wall built.
Right. My understanding of the situation is as follows:

There is an easement at and on both sides of your mutual property line.

You have NO legal access to actually use this stretch of land for your own purposes.

You have constructed a fence/wall between your usable land and the easement.

From your usable property you can't even see the land with the easement due to the fence/wall.

You are unhappy that your neighbor is not cleaning up dog excrement from this stretch of land that you not only can't see from your property but have no usable access.

The only thing you don't mention is why this is an issue at all. Other than it being marked on a piece of paper at the records office, this thin strip is of no value or use to you whatsoever.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:15 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Have a neighbor that lets their dog run freely. Sometimes craps in the yard. But there is an advantage - his presence keeps the deer out of my yard and garden! So it's a trade-off I am willing to live with.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:38 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
The jerk is too stupid to relate to your concern. It isn't his property either. I say, sling away with the crap. Drop a few loads on his front porch too.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:47 PM

876 posts, read 813,348 times
I don't recommend this for anyone, but I had the same issue with a neighbor's dog that thought my yard was his personal toilet. Not the dogs fault, of course, so I would just scoop it up and with a shovel and fling it back to the neighbors yard or if my aim was true that day, on their front porch.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:51 PM

550 posts, read 498,200 times
This isn't a property issue.

It's a common courtesy issue and a cleanliness issue.

Poop attracts rats.

It's just nasty that a dog owner does not pick up after their dog.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:10 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Aren't there any products on the market to keep dogs away from plants and stuff? Because you could just go buy something like that and then spray it all along the fence line to keep the dogs from returning to that spot. Of course, this means you'd be paying to keep the dogs away and you'd have to repeat the spraying every time it rains.

Another options would be a small wire running alongside your fence and charged with a solar battery (keep the battery on your side). Even if the dogs just brush up against it, they're going to get a shock. And no, I'm not talking about a big shock here. Just a mild shock would be enough. Barring this, taking the time out of your schedule to make some new - ahem - learning experiences for the dogs might be doable. Hide out on your side of the fence when the dogs come over and blast them with the hose or throw a can filled with rocks against the other side of the fence to scare them. Water isn't going to hurt them and the point you'd be making is it isn't comfortable for them to be anywhere near your property. You might even consider planting something with thorns on the other side of the fence.

By the way, for all you people telling the OP to ignore it: if the dogs are pooping there, if they're male dogs, they're probably also peeing there as well. Eventually that urine is going to kill any plants the OP has on his/her side of the fence, make the area smell like a urinal, and eventually erode anything made out of wood.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:35 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You did this instead of talking to them?

My husband bagged up the poop their dog did in our front yard. .. On our grass, and tossed the bag of poop in their driveway. I don't know if he talked to the owner. We had a casual relationship talking to them during this time.

Since the homeowner was always in his front yard barbecuing or taking care of his yard, I'm sure he knew just what was going on. If we did talk to them and he asked about it, I'd say, "We bagged up your dogs poop for you. Now you can dispose of it properly."

This next door neighbor homeowner ALWAYS did this. Let the dog out front off leash to wander everywhere and do his business. He was a nice dog. Large Schnauzer. He was good sized and his leavings were good size, too.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:40 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
Okay - Another situation.

Years ago we had a next door neighbor with dogs penned next to our shared fence. These were big dogs, three of them. One was a retired police dog, german shepherd and the other two were Weimaraners. Their area was an okay size but they never cleaned up after them. The smell from those dogs, that never really left that area, was awful. We called the health department on them. They used lye and cleaned but that only lasted a few days.

The barking was the worst part.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:42 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
I would just go pick it up once a day if it was really bothering me
Only the stuff on your side of the easement
It will take less than a minute
They might see you and get the hint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate